diy solar

diy solar

My solar panels are not fully charging, Low power on Epever Tracer4215BN 430 W solar / 280Ah LifePO4

Thanks mike for your valued input. Do you know how Missoo can turn the protection settings on? I have found one manual but it did not provide any answers.

Do you know how Missoo can turn the protection settings on?
99% sure the indication is used to show the BMS is in protection mode, thus when it displays 'protection none' it suggests that protection has not been activated. This is a little worrying has cell volts has exceeded 3.65, the usual setting. I would have expected the charge switch in the off position and protection active.

Either the cell overvolt value has been changed, the unit has been configured for lithium ion, or the BMS is faulty.

Anyhow I will be leaving all this behind, over to France on Sunday and driving back to south Portugal.

Mike

99% sure the indication is used to show the BMS is in protection mode, thus when it displays 'protection none' it suggests that protection has not been activated. This is a little worrying has cell volts has exceeded 3.65, the usual setting. I would have expected the charge switch in the off position and protection active.

Either the cell overvolt value has been changed, the unit has been configured for lithium ion, or the BMS is faulty.

Anyhow I will be leaving all this behind, over to France on Sunday and driving back to south Portugal.

Mike
Thanks Mike, I wasn’t sure if there was a manual switching to provide protection or to disconnect it but then again whether it is automatic as you suggest. I agree that the cell voltages are a worry and that is why until the protection is sorted out that Missoo keeps the the battery and cells charged only to the levels i stated.

Presently in Colmar, France then head back to the UK Monday. Safe travels :cool:.

Tim

Mike
Just found a screen shot that shows ‘protection locking’ but also indicates a current being drawn.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220318-090654.png
    Screenshot_20220318-090654.png
    345.4 KB · Views: 8
To confirm what happens with BMS if you get cell overvolts I set a stupid low value in the BMS.

In the protection field of the display you get ' protection cell overvoltage'
In the switch field, the charging switch goes to the off position.

When cell voltage falls below the reconnect voltage, the display reads: charging switch on and protection none.

The 'protection locking' I assume is due to using an app that doesn't allow modification of protection values.

Mike

Hello to both of you,

I finally went back home.
I charged my battery, then I disassembled it to top balanced it again. Once it was top balanced to 3,65 V, I directly assembled it into a 12V
pack (I didn't put it back in my RV yet).
Should I left it several hours in parallel before assembling it in series ?
Here is what I get on the BMS app. Is the voltage differential of 0,023 V anormal ? You can notice that I don't get "Protection none" anymore but protection cell overvoltage.

Also, I measured 14,65V between the main battery positive and "B-" of the BMS.
But I get 14,35 V between the main positive and the "B+" of the BMS.

Is this normal ?

I am so confused with all of it and I really don't know what to do.

batt.png
Edit :

Look what happened now to cell number 2. I am wondering if this cell died and if I should replace it...
batry.png

Last edited:
Both the epever and the mt50 are both set to user or lithium...yes?
Yes the MT50 is set to user. But what do you mean for the epever?

Also the battery pack is not back in m'y RV yet so it doesn't change anything on the balancing cells.

Hello to both of you,

I finally went back home.
I charged my battery, then I disassembled it to top balanced it again. Once it was top balanced to 3,65 V, I directly assembled it into a 12V
pack (I didn't put it back in my RV yet).
Should I left it several hours in parallel before assembling it in series ?
Here is what I get on the BMS app. Is the voltage differential of 0,023 V anormal ? You can notice that I don't get "Protection none" anymore but protection cell overvoltage.

Also, I measured 14,65V between the main battery positive and "B-" of the BMS.
But I get 14,35 V between the main positive and the "B+" of the BMS.

Is this normal ?

I am so confused with all of it and I really don't know what to do.

View attachment 111075
Edit :

Look what happened now to cell number 2. I am wondering if this cell died and if I should replace it...
View attachment 111079
?
Why do you think cell 2 has died?
28 mv difference at 3.65 volts is insignificant.

Is the voltage diff of 0,029V normal ?

Is this normal that I have 14,65V between between B- and + and 14,45V between B+ and + ?

I am not sure this is normal that one voltage cell is decreasing a lot and not the other ones...
Screenshot_20220909-173132_xiaoxiang.png

The others are down 11 mv that one's down 14 mv both insignificant. Very very slightly higher self-discharge rate. I'm surprised any of them are staying that high that long without a charge current.

It now occurs to me that that might actually be what you're doing. Turn off your charger and let them settle. They should settle to 3.38 volts or thereabouts which is still 100% state of charge.

Last edited:
OK thank you.
I don't have any charger turned on !
The voltage differential is increasing slowly.
I dont know what voltage differential won't be acceptable.

Edit: how can the cells settle to 3,8v if the charger is off ?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220909-205005_xiaoxiang.png
    Screenshot_20220909-205005_xiaoxiang.png
    311.8 KB · Views: 5
You have too high a charge voltage, use 14.0 or 14.2 volts. Your cells are well balanced. The only time you need to take the cells to 3.65 is when carrying out a top balance.
The resting voltage is around 13.35 to 13.4 volts once the 'surface charge' is lost over time or with a small load

Also the battery pack is not back in m'y RV yet so it doesn't change anything on the balancing cells.

Use select button on epever charge controller...toggle to batt or battery...the first one of 3...it should be the voltage reading....press and hold enter until it flashes...
Use the select button to toggle thru the battery types until you get to user...then select user to match the mt50

My settings on the mt50

Hi Missoo,

Welcome back. Put a small load on them and see how you go but do not charge them back up to 14.6. Your cell differential of 0.043v isn’t too bad considering you overcharged one cell. Is cell No.2 being lowest voltage cell the same cell that you overcharged.

Back