diy solar

diy solar

My solar panels dont have bypass diodes!

I sure like to see the picture of the back of the panel to see what they have back there.
The diode must have gone open circuit or poor connection/solder.

Last edited:
Optional bypass and blocking diodes also wire-able as 6 volt or 12 volt.....

Attachments

• 64BBCC85-24EA-4FED-8903-17045011FF6F.jpeg
    64BBCC85-24EA-4FED-8903-17045011FF6F.jpeg
    528.1 KB · Views: 23
Perhaps a voltage/current spike? Diodes seems to be the more common reason for panels to fail. That and loss of seal to the elements.
It would take heat to damage the diodes.
Which would require excessive amperage, or very excessive voltage.
Disconnecting, would remove both.
Connecting, would only apply VOC of string total.
I agree that they're a common failure point.
That's usually due to heavy use, from long term shading.

I wonder how many of these diodes get damaged from connecting/disconnecting panels under load. People forget to shade their panels before messing with the connection.
Shouldn't the diodes be rated above their expected max load? I always test panels I buy by shorting out the pigtails & using a clamp meter to test them. Never had an issue doing that yet.

8A59D34B-276A-48AA-808B-3E38B51AE719.jpeg
Sometime the shading is variable… the bottom of the array is 6 feet off the ground

There ain’t no waking in 6 feet deep snow, at least without snowshoes..
Well...
It sure would be a lot of work, thats for sure.
When i lived in eastern Washington, deep snow frequently forze the surface, lerting ya walk on it, but 6feet deep? Yeah, snow shoes...

Seems like it would end up being some sort of awful tunnel.

Couple of your old 100w panels would work as snow shoes ;)
I post-holed through the snow last week trying to walk out there. I got stuck 1/2 way through the meadow and had to dig myself out with bare hands. It was actually pretty scary.

I would really like to see a photo of those. Are you positive they are 1965 vintage?
Originally installed on a Radio repeater site in Southern California on Blue Mountain near San Bernado by myself and crew for the communications giant that I was employed with at the time, Removed and replaced in ‘72 by myself.
Obtained directly from Arco Solar by GE communications, not through any reseller. Note that these are 33 cell “self regulating panels” that are nearer to 12 volt battery voltage than the far more common 36 cell panels. They were intended to be used with no controller. This was far before PWM and MPPT controllers were available. We used big Zener diodes and heat sinks with them. They did not do very well on a really hot day. OK now you know I‘m a dinosaur in the business. Although saved as a early example these panels still produce about 48 watts peak.

Attachments

• D70DE712-4060-412A-B7D1-E35226291FCC.jpeg
    D70DE712-4060-412A-B7D1-E35226291FCC.jpeg
    829.2 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
Back