diy solar

diy solar

My SolArk 12k install with Enphase Micros

I added three 400 Watt panels to the other MPPT controller on my SolArk 12k and am getting some odd results. The voltage stays fairly constand at 130-131 volts but the current climbs until about Noon then drops from 2.5 Amps to zero current then picks up again at about 4PM but never exceeds half an Amp. I know I am close to the minimium start up voltage of 125 volts for the MPPT controller according to the specs. The other thing is that the operating range of the MPPT according to the specs is 150-400 volts. It is also 98 F today.
The STC Vpmax is 36.05 and Voc is 43.02. The number I am seeing is more consistent with the Voc figures.
I originally purchased and planned on four panels but reduced that to three and may have cut that too close in terms of Voltage. I may have to install that other panel.

It has been a year since I installed my SolArk and it now is time for me to get around to pulling a permit. To do so I need to use UL 94550 batteries and I have settled on the Pytes E-Box 14100R V5 rack mounted sets. One of the prospective vendors sent me the UL 9450A documentation and I will see what it takes to pull a permit for those in combination with my SolArk 12K. Both are listed on the CEC website so I think the chances are good about getting that combination approved. The CEC list shows the Pytes in their Forest RB enclosure and that would fit nice in the space I have in my garage near where the SolArk is mounted. None of this will affect my NEM 2.0 PTO I have with PG&E

My system was originally permitted but I have done a bunch of changes and additions without permits.
I plan to permit the whole thing someday. I like your idea to just buy some UL listed batteries.
I did that for my original permit. I used AGM batteries, and I could do that again.

I used AGM batteries, and I could do that again.
That is a fallback strategy if I can't get the Pytes approved. The great things about the Pytes is I could pull the permit with only two rack mount packs and then expand to six which would give me 30.7 kWhs with the enclosure filled up.

Last edited:
This is an update on my progress to install UL certified batteries with my SolArk. I found a great system designer, who is familiar with Sonoma County, to draw up a plan set . I submitted the plans she prepared to the building department electronically and the first correction was I needed to put the Assessors Parcel Number on the cover sheet and site plan pages. Hopefully that is the least of my worries. I already have an approved GT system so this is just an addition. I have been running the SolArk 12K with a DIY pack for over a year with no issues and want to get my system fully conforming to the building code.

I spoke too early. After adding the parcel number the Permit Tech asked me a bunch more questions which I waded through with my system designer and we made the changes. They were easy changes and my application was accepted and now goes to the plan check process. The pre check process only took three days and was all done online and via email. The Permit Tech at the County of Sonoma was actually quite helpful during the process. I am leaving for a three week vacation and hopefully the application gets approved while I am gone. I will be staying in touch while traveling.

Despite the extra steps discussed above, my permit was approved in less than a week from submittal. All the suggestions were from the Plan Tech who actually was interested in making the process successful. No corrections were need while in plan check. As mentioned, my SolArk is already installed but I need to order the Pytes V5 batteries and enclosure and install them.

I am awaiting delivery of my Pytes batteries and have listed my 48 EVE LF280 cells for $37/kWh in the Marketplace section.

My Pytes batteries arrive tomorrow and I am looking forward to hooking up some of them temporarily until I can complete the more detailed install per my building permit.

My delivery arrived during the early part of the time window communicated by the freight company. I unpacked three battery modules and got them temporarily hooked up to get them charged from available solar. The communication was as simple as flipping one dip switch on the Master battery and plugging in a standard Ethernet cable, setting the Lithium Battery checkbox on the configuration screen and I was connected to the SolArk. The batteries came charged to 52.6 Volts. I was glad I got the communications going because my SolArk was reading 0.3 Volts higher than the voltage at the two battery lugs on the SolArk. Now I do not have to mess with a table of compensation values because with closed communication the SolArk is getting its battery voltage from the Pytes modules.
I had previously used the type of splitter recomended by the Solar Assistant setup instructions and now I can monitor my battery values on Solar Assistant.
Here is a photo of how the pallet arrived from the freight company used by NAZ. It took fifteen minutes to get all the straps cut and the plastic wrap off the bundle of seven battery modules and two boxes containing the exterior enclosure.

Attachments

• PXL_20240311_171839595.jpg
    PXL_20240311_171839595.jpg
    261.3 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Back