diy solar

diy solar

my test and set up for my rv 200amp CHINS questions

big jerr

hello all newbe with some questions on MY battery test of new CHINs 200 amh battery set-up for RV. First this is 1/2 of system the RV is at camp and has new 4-100 watt rich solar panels driving a victron 100/30 mppt charger and is working fine on our old led acid batterys ,
this post in about the new CHINS 200 lithium battery and gyanndyl 2200 pure syn inverter and victron 1p-22 charger testing

if we the did capacity test correctly we got 200 amph when batt got to 10.4 volts / but we had to reduce load when the inverter started sounding low volt alarm , the load we started with was 180 amps reduceing to 100amps due to some heat build up at terminals (shut side) and sucked the last 4 amps out with a 100watt light bulb after the first warning . the bms shut down one TIME at 148 amps used (150 minutes @ 170amp load) I think due to over heat caused by the terminals and heat saturating cabels on inside back down to bms though batt case was not hot, cant confirm this but it did shut down and voltage was still above 12 v shunt side terminal was showing 120*f + last check.

SO my questions, 1. the BMS never shut down for low voltage and it got down near 10. 1 volts and as soon as we shut down inverter the voltage jumped back up to 10.60 volts @no load , why is this and is it important and what voltage does BMS use for under volt shut down as CHINS propaganda is vauge ?

2. the heat generated at terminals mostly the shunt side (BLACK). iS the 500 amp rated shunt causing this ?

3. IS HEAT kind of a normal by-product of these things as my charger (30a victron) my inverter (2200w geandyl ) and the terminals / shunt get Pretty warm if not down right HOT roughly all @ 120*f or slightly above ?

the battery really would never be put under the load that it was tested @,

IMG_7747.JPGIMG_7748.JPGIMG_7749.JPGIMG_7750.JPG maybe a microwave @ 1000watts for 2-5 minutes the most, see the picts and please advise note planned the inverter mounted piggieback on battery case to afford the short #2 cables at least thats the plan, Jerr

Hi...
I'm new as well in this arena. Let me share what I know:
1. CHINS 12V battery BMS will activate at/around 10V as per the CHINS battery guide (Discharge protection voltage). Voltage reading will swing from load to sudden no load. This effect is like you suck the water via straw from water bottle then stop sucking and let go. The water inside the straw will go back down, this will add the water volume in the bottle. It is normal.
2. The heat at the battery terminal could be due to loose bolt or vibration from the inverter fan. My suggestion is mounting the inverter separate from battery (for safety as well in case of fire from inverter). Mixing metal material at the terminal can cause it as well and potential rust. I have 3000W inverter and I use 1/0 copper welding cable with fuse in it to protect the battery for over discharge. Since LiFepo4 battery is an expensive investment. Continuous discharge your battery over 80% will reduce your battery life to just 2000 cycle. If you would like to get 5000 cycle or more, you need to prevent over discharge of your battery. Shunt 500A is overkill, could be due to improper installation or material used. 2200Watt inverter for 120V is less than 20A. Many factors could cause the over heating. You may want to use the elimination method to single out the potential causes.
3. the 2200W inverter will produce heat for continuous or high power usage. It is best to have plenty of ventilation. 1000Watt microwave will pull more than 1000Watt. Normally about 25% more for initial power pulled. The inverter low voltage shutdown is way lower than your battery BMS. You need to monitor this, else your battery life will be reduced greatly if your MPPT can't keep up.
MPPT needs to be hung vertically not laying down on the ground as per Victron manual guide. You need to read all equipment manual guides for safety and longevity of your equipment.

PS: I have both CHINS 12V-200Ah and 24V 200Ah batteries. I did test them on self discharge rate and 0.1c capacity test. Both of them met their factory specs. I'm happy with my purchase. Again, read their manual guides in order to obtain max life cycle. CHINS rep is very responsive, email and ask them any basic simple to technical questions. They will respond.
Good Luck!!

Either of you care to chime on how your CHINS battery is doing now 3 years later? Just got the 200 Ah 12v battery myself.

Back