diy solar

diy solar

My two new panels seem to retain rainwater

melbaylon

I took these photos when the rain weakened. I noticed that first 3 panels (shown the images below with an almost mirror-like finish) I bought doesn't retain rainwater but the 2 new ones do. Any idea why this happens? They are same panels from one manufacturer from the same seller.

Additional info I forgot to mention: The older panels and the new ones are about 3 months apart.

IMG_6999 copy.JPGIMG_7001 copy.JPG

Last edited:
I wouldn’t think this will stand up over time. That is, over a year or two, they will probably become more similar.

Interesting idea to put rain-x on panels to help shed water (not that you did).

Do you worry about the little bit of shading from your hold downs?

Likely that the new panels have a bit of an oily film on them from manufacturing. It looks like the older panels have water on them as well but without the film the water doesn't bead up. If you squeegeed on of each you probably find a similar amount of water on them. If you want them to look the same clean the new ones with something like acetone to remove the surface film

An oily film might actually cause it to bead up, but if they use a water base to do whatever they do in manufacturing that's more likely to do that.

You could try contacting the manufacturer to ask about any film on the panels and if they recommend any specific cleaning method or product if any.

Not really an issue to be concerned about I'd wager.

I wouldn’t think this will stand up over time. That is, over a year or two, they will probably become more similar.

Interesting idea to put rain-x on panels to help shed water (not that you did).

Do you worry about the little bit of shading from your hold downs?
The older and newer panels are 3 months apart.

Might explore solutions to rainx.

Not too concerned about that. What I'm concerned about though is if the rainwater beading up is causing enough shading that it's the reason for my solar charge controller to randomly restart. I'm still trying to properly diagnose that problem though.

Likely that the new panels have a bit of an oily film on them from manufacturing. It looks like the older panels have water on them as well but without the film the water doesn't bead up. If you squeegeed on of each you probably find a similar amount of water on them. If you want them to look the same clean the new ones with something like acetone to remove the surface film
I see. I did wipe them earlier but just with my hands. The older ones have significantly less water on them. Also, wiping the newer ones with beads of rainwater was hard since they seem to be attracted to the panel.

An oily film might actually cause it to bead up, but if they use a water base to do whatever they do in manufacturing that's more likely to do that.

You could try contacting the manufacturer to ask about any film on the panels and if they recommend any specific cleaning method or product if any.

Not really an issue to be concerned about I'd wager.
I see. Will look more into this.

Back