diy solar

diy solar

my updated system diagram. submitted for your approval.

ok, this is hurting my brainy bits. how 'bout now?
It would help if you did not keep drawing the negative line coming off of both ends of the batteries. Now you don't have the input of the bus bar box coming off of the shunt, but instead have a circular path back to the battery.

Draw it with the negative of the battery bank only going to one end of the shunt, then the other negatives connected to the other end of the shunt. Personally, I would have the inverter tied in directly to the shunt, and all of the loads off of that bus bar box. Not sure what that bus bar box is rated for.

Last edited:
Took the liberty of drawing your setup.
Its intended to illustrate that the core system components are all in parallel.
starchy-dc.jpg

You have a 400 amp fuse on a 6 awg wire going to the fuse block.
The wire will melt.

I'm pretty sure there is a dedicated chassis bond point on the lynx.

@starchy you have 4/0 awg from the inverter to the busbar but only 2/0 awg from the batteries to the busbar, confirm?
If yes, do you see a problem with that?

for the hell of it i thought i'd try working backwards: i took the vanlifeoutfitters diagram i linked above and mostly just deleted stuff and swapped in a few of my components. still work?

Attachments

• modified-electrical-system.jpg
    modified-electrical-system.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 25
This is a massive amount of current to use. A slightly loose connection in that high current application, caused by vibrations going down the road, could lead to a very quick disaster. Have you considered a series configuration, such as 24vdc, then get a 24vdc to 12vdc converter for you 12 v needs, use the inverter on the 24vdc. Wire sizes also come down. Just a FYI suggestion consideration.

This is a massive amount of current to use. A slightly loose connection in that high current application, caused by vibrations going down the road, could lead to a very quick disaster. Have you considered a series configuration, such as 24vdc, then get a 24vdc to 12vdc converter for you 12 v needs, use the inverter on the 24vdc. Wire sizes also come down. Just a FYI suggestion consideration.
yeah, i see the advantages. i already have these 12v batteries, tho.

Yes 12vdc battery in series would work .
i don't suppose i can make it worth yours or anyone's while to draw this up for me? not sure what a reasonable rate might be but i am willing to pay. i can send you a list of the parts i have.

Back