diy solar

diy solar

My Utility Sucks

ChrisG

Solar Addict
Been planning a solar build for a while but did not contact the utility company first…my bad. In a metro NC area, the interconnect agreement is as bad as my cabin in TN, buy all/sell all. Wanted to do enphase GT with AC coupling to an off grid inverter. Can’t do it in either location, only buy all sell all. The GTI AC from PV is NOT allowed to be routed to a dwelling Main or Sub panel, only connected to the utility leads somehow. Can’t figure out how enphase storage would even work. Sucks, no AC coupling allowed.

Going to call back and see what my other options are.

From city:
  • The City only offering is Buy All – Sell All (refer to the attached diagram).
  • Under the Buy All – Sell All plan, the City will buy all the energy the homeowner’s solar panels generate (as registered by the solar meter) at the wholesale rate of $0.03 per kWh. The City will then sell all the energy the homeowner’s consumption meter registers at the rate of $0.10 per kWh.
    • Under the Buy All – Sell All plan, all energy produced will be connected to the dwelling electrical system before the primary service panel disconnect.

Attachments

• D15C8A77-80CC-40B3-977C-EE6F6B004F42.jpeg
    D15C8A77-80CC-40B3-977C-EE6F6B004F42.jpeg
    160.7 KB · Views: 37
Absolutely, need to figure out the permit process for offgrid and panels on roof . The city permit form lists the interconnect agreement number as a mandatory field. Ugh. This sucks.

I'll offer moral support, yes your AHJ/utility sucks.

How much solar are you looking to add? Could you put it on a detached car port or shed?

@400bird
Well was planning 6-8kw on roof using 370w panels. I assume your asking location because roof mount may be problematic with AHJ, still need to confirm this but seems so. Even if panels are on a carport or something (which does not exist) still need to get to the inverter and service panels inside the attached garage and an inverter hooked up to critical loads panel. Ugh I’m so pissed off.

Now my mind is going crazy places. Maybe an offgrid inverter such as 240v Outback that is connected to grid (no sell) via a 50a plug from Main panel and output to a generator plug on sub panel. Not sure wha to do about panels if not on roof outside of strategic placement on the ground all over the yard. Lol.

@400bird
Well was planning 6-8kw on roof using 370w panels. I assume your asking location because roof mount may be problematic with AHJ, still need to confirm this but seems so. Even if panels are on a carport or something (which does not exist) still need to get to the inverter and service panels inside the attached garage and an inverter hooked up to critical loads panel. Ugh I’m so pissed off.

Go off-grid, tell your power "rental" company your not going to be contributing to their million dollar salaries, Christmas parties, various local taxes and throwing your money away anymore. I'd rather invest in something that is mine and my responsibility and not have 3-10 days without power annually. $1500+ worth of power from the sun so far. At least I have something to show for it in the back yard.

Go off-grid, tell your power "rental" company your not going to be contributing to their million dollar salaries, Christmas parties, various local taxes and throwing your money away anymore. I'd rather invest in something that is mine and my responsibility and not have 3-10 days without power annually. $1500+ worth of power from the sun so far. At least I have something to show for it in the back yard.
Then they send out the mafia squad from County inspection.

You can’t do this or that or you have to have this equipment or that.

I’m not off grid but almost was.

When my co op figured out I wasn’t using as much power they sent out a Rep.

They find solar panels and inverters.

You can’t do that they say.
Told him he could take his meter with him if he liked.
Huffed and puffed but left the meter.

Then suddenly County inspectors start coming out.

CI: What’s this?
You can’t do that.

I ask which part?

CI: Can’t use solar power instead of Utilities because solar isn’t permitted.

I say Transfer switch is permitted. You permitted it.

CI: Yes but that was for a generator not solar.

Me: Oh so it matters now how the power is provided does it?

CI:Well yes.

That’s where it got left.
I’m waiting on the injunction still.
Not sure if they decided not to fight it or are just getting ducks in row.

Been planning a solar build for a while but did not contact the utility company first…my bad. In a metro NC area, the interconnect agreement is as bad as my cabin in TN, buy all/sell all. Wanted to do enphase GT with AC coupling to an off grid inverter. Can’t do it in either location, only buy all sell all. The GTI AC from PV is NOT allowed to be routed to a dwelling Main or Sub panel, only connected to the utility leads somehow. Can’t figure out how enphase storage would even work. Sucks, no AC coupling allowed.

From city:
  • Under the Buy All – Sell All plan, the City will buy all the energy the homeowner’s solar panels generate (as registered by the solar meter) at the wholesale rate of $0.03 per kWh. The City will then sell all the energy the homeowner’s consumption meter registers at the rate of $0.10 per kWh.
    • Under the Buy All – Sell All plan, all energy produced will be connected to the dwelling electrical system before the primary service panel disconnect.
So does anyone really think room full of SUITS met to decide how to give you a fair shake ….ha ha
That type thinking in govt pretty much dried up 20 to 30 years ago on about everything.

Let us know what they say.
From city:
It's actually more insidious than that. They are taking your power for $.03 and it is just being fed to your neighbors houses with a 200% Markup. I was in that situation and just stopped doing it.
This is just my 2 cents on the matter. They have put up enough road blocks that I would not even bother!
At 10 cents a KWh your looking at a very long time to recoup your money. If you had land and could do something that was less conspicuous than a roof mount then I would say go for it.

This has been my fear. Some people think “clean energy” home, autos, will be practically no cost energy. Not. If enough people get on that train get ready for the powers to regulate it and get their share…..
Off grid I say! :) and no taxes/permits!

This is just my 2 cents on the matter. They have put up enough road blocks that I would not even bother!
Do you mean going the path of figuring a grid tie, off grid system or don’t bother at all…do nothing?

Do you mean going the path of figuring a grid tie, off grid system or don’t bother at all…do nothing?
Honestly at 10 cents I would do the math on the Pay back first. I have a feeling that any of those choices it going to require a long payback period. Off Grid is going to mean batteries and a lot more money.

If you are just trying to reduce your electric bill.
Get an off grid inverter that works without batteries, and solar panels. This will reduce your daytime costs.
Without expensive batteries, the ROI will be a lot shorter.
And you can add batteries later.

This isn’t about the cost and ROI it’s more about the future. The price I pay now per kWh is cheap I know but what about in 10 years.
I have a Reliance 10 circuit manual transfer switch in the garage of primary residence with an outside outlet for generator. All those circuits will be moved this week to a dedicated loads panel in prep for solar (was going to AC couple in that loads panel) and will now be temporarily setup with generator/interlock kit until I figure out what I’m going to do. I need to figure out the rules and permitting for DC offgrid. That permit form requirement for interconnect agreement number is concerning though.

I’m working on two places at a time. Cabin is little more difficult because of a deep well pump.

So does anyone really think room full of SUITS met to decide how to give you a fair shake ….ha ha
That type thinking in govt pretty much dried up 20 to 30 years ago on about everything.

Are you certain this is a government decision? Here, TVA determines the basis for sell back solar rates, and it is horrible for residential solar. TVA is federally owned, but does operate much like a for-profit company and in many ways acts like a private company.

I think reality is corporations and their minions in government actively work against the best interests of the public. That isn't a rule, but do feel it is just the way it is.

Back