diy solar

diy solar

Name your price for drawing up a simple diagram. I will pay it!!! Please! Desperate.

Assuming 90 degree angle between strings, 10.37 x 2 x 0.7 = 14.5A (estimate) maximum in direct sun.
Actual current occasionally goes higher due to cloud edge effects (which would be the case for an array all one orientation as well.)
With some angle between the strings, seems to me you can stay under 18A even if that is a short-circuit limit.
And of course double-check voltage and polarity before closing switch or otherwise making final connection.
So one of the strings is all oriented the same, the other string has a slight difference between the two but not too much. So, 20 panels total, 2 parallel strings of 5 panels each. 2x So 15 are all the same, while the last 5 are at a slightly different angle but not much. Thanks for your help

Looking at your first post, YOU DO HAVE 2 INVERTERS RIGHT?
And you now have 2 strings of 5 panels = 10 panels for each inverter?
310 watts each x 10 = 3100 watts PV input to each inverter?
41.5 VOC IMP 9.48 ISC
3 strings of panels are on the same roof plane?
One string is on another?
Tilt angle for each?
Compass headed for each?

Looking at your first post, YOU DO HAVE 2 INVERTERS RIGHT?
And you now have 2 strings of 5 panels = 10 panels for each inverter?
310 watts each x 10 = 3100 watts PV input to each inverter?
41.5 VOC IMP 9.48 ISC
3 strings of panels are on the same roof plane?
One string is on another?
Tilt angle for each?
Compass headed for each?
Yes to everything you wrote. I don't have a tilt angle or compass heading for you though. Sorry.

So after reviewing the current manual on Signature Solar site. Assuming it is the same as yours. I believe that 18 amps is a hard ceiling. Max PV is 4000 watts.
18 amps x 250 volts = 4500 watts.
The panels you have are not ideally suited for these units.
Something like 250 watt panels would be more suitable to fit the window of requirements to maximize efficiency.
If I were in your position I would short circuit each string and measure the amperage with a DC current clamp meter at different times of the day to see exactly what they are producing.
I don’t know the mppt circuit engineering to know if it can deal with any amperage over 18 while running under the voltage ceiling.
I would think so because total wattage is well used the maximum.
I assume you have no guidance from Signature Solar?
If the inverters can’t handle 2 strings each. You could connect 1 string to each and the other 2 strings to a dedicated solar charge controller that would feed power into the DC battery circuit. It would be similar to having a third inverter with no AC lines just PV in DC out.

So after reviewing the current manual on Signature Solar site. Assuming it is the same as yours. I believe that 18 amps is a hard ceiling. Max PV is 4000 watts.
18 amps x 250 volts = 4500 watts.
The panels you have are not ideally suited for these units.
Something like 250 watt panels would be more suitable to fit the window of requirements to maximize efficiency.
If I were in your position I would short circuit each string and measure the amperage with a DC current clamp meter at different times of the day to see exactly what they are producing.
I don’t know the mppt circuit engineering to know if it can deal with any amperage over 18 while running under the voltage ceiling.
I would think so because total wattage is well used the maximum.
I assume you have no guidance from Signature Solar?
If the inverters can’t handle 2 strings each. You could connect 1 string to each and the other 2 strings to a dedicated solar charge controller that would feed power into the DC battery circuit. It would be similar to having a third inverter with no AC lines just PV in DC out.
So I was able to get a hold of Signature and he said that the 18 is not a hard ceiling and that the inverters will just only draw 18amps. Said I couldn't hurt them. Told him I'd be running 207vdc into them at 19amps (assuming the panels are putting out full power) and he said that would be fine. I asked him if he was familiar with this unit when he answered the call and he said he was so I have to assume I have good info. Hope so. thanks for your reply. I appreciate it.

So I was able to get a hold of Signature and he said that the 18 is not a hard ceiling and that the inverters will just only draw 18amps. Said I couldn't hurt them. Told him I'd be running 207vdc into them at 19amps (assuming the panels are putting out full power) and he said that would be fine. I asked him if he was familiar with this unit when he answered the call and he said he was so I have to assume I have good info. Hope so. thanks for your reply. I appreciate it.
Yes, that was what I was saying. Going over the Voltage is a death sentence but some Inverters will just clip the extra current and run fine.

Back