diy solar

diy solar

NASA 2024 Moonshot

svetz

Works in theory! Practice? That's something else
The plan includes sending a female astronaut...

I really hope her name is Alice.
f24203e1bb94e9c7fa5fb46d9dd7b1fd.jpg

does it count if its a genetic man who identifies as women but is named alice???

1621108225933.png

There, now its more aligned with our current interesting period of history...

Bang! Zoom!

Probably not too many of us that get the reference anymore ;)
My parents watched reruns of the Honeymooners every night when I was a kid (my mom still watches it when it's on). I loved watching it with them. Fond memories. As much as we watched it over the years in my teens (late 70s/early 80s), I'm floored today when I realize it only aired for one year - 39 total episodes - back in '55/'56. It always seemed there were so many more episodes.

_someone_ to do the cooking.
rotfl.gif
It'll be interesting if astronauts could cook on the moon (doubt it).... looks like state-of-the-art is rehydration with heated water.

It'll be interesting to see what SpaceX does for Mars. Probably cargo drops.

Last edited:
for the mars shot. they should send up at least five other ships with supplys.
i believe in over kill for protection.
i am not up on the math but how much solar would be required to supply them with 150 % of total power needs?

i am not up on the math but how much solar would be required to supply them with 150 % of total power needs?
On Mars, or the Moon?

On the moon, as there's no atmosphere, the insolation should be pretty good (1356 W/m²) - but one "night" is going to be a killer as it takes ~14 earth days. The temperature range on the moon is a killer too, -280° to 260°F. That's a lot of temperature correction factor. If you're at one of the poles you might be able to get sunlight all the time as the axial tilt is only 1.5°.

On Mars, W/m² is about 590 and the length of night is about the same as Earth. The axial tilt is 25.19°, so just a bit more than Earth. The temperature range on mars is -220° to 70°F.

For those temperatures they'd need "special" panels, not too different from space so they probably exist, but I don't know what their efficiency is.

This article says 29.5% efficiency for Martian conditions:

Per the manufacturer of the satellite, Northrop Grumman, the UltraFlex is powered by a triple junction “High Aspect ratio ZTJ 29.5+% Red / BOL optimized” (.pdf) solar cell. The solar cell is manufactured by SolAero Technologies Corp. in Albuquerque, New Mexico.

At 590 W/m², each kW of power will take 1000 W / 590 W/m² / 29% = ~5.9 m²/kW.

But, they're going to need so much it probably won't make sense to ship panels due to weight.

It would probably make more sense to microwave the ground to melt it into a sort of glass panel, then have a robot "paint" electrical traces, then "paint" on perovskite "ink" to make a "solar panel" field at the site. Something like this...

I bet those would be fun robots to design. Will lives in a martian-esk area, perhaps he'll design/build/test it for Elon? ;)

but then the weight of the robots and the supply's to keep them running.
the first solar will come in from the earth.
then maybe in ten years of always maned, can start the robots to building more than just solar.

Back