diy solar

diy solar

Neat Electrical Panels

If it's legal down there.....
i would be tempted to put a subpanel to the top right with a bush and pull all the critical load wires into it. It might save a gazillion wire nuts in the main panel

The fat wires to neutral bar could include one for a ground rod, or could be associated with a branch circuit of similarly fat wires.
The stranded aluminum wire is a particular candidate. Lug next to neutral would have been a typical place to connect.
Are you aware of a ground rod outside?
Yes there is. But I can't tell where the wire goes.
I think for service using awg 1 through 3/0 conductors, ground conductor is to be awg 6 to 4 (copper), awg 4 to 2 (aluminum)
The planning calls for hots and neutral to be 6 AWG and ground to be 8 AWG
The box should be electrically connected to the ground/neutral bar. You can check that with a DMM, but because there is conduit going to circuits it is possible only that circuit provides the bonding. Look again for a bonding screw (they've always been green when I've seen them.) To check electrically, could turn off the circuit which is routed through metal conduit, disconnect its ground wire, then check box to neutral with DMM.
I'll check it

If it's legal down there.....
i would be tempted to put a subpanel to the top right with a bush and pull all the critical load wires into it. It might save a gazillion wire nuts in the main panel
I am not happy about the wire nuts. I will think about what you are saying.
But this will work OK. I have 3 circuits connected in the picture. So there will be 7 more wire nuts.

Ok, here is my panel. It actually isn't as bad as I remembered it.
But you can see the wires I added from the bottom aren't looking very neat and I have to add about 20 more.
At least 7 more wire nuts too.

This is a temporary setup. I will be using conduit for the permanent setup.

The picture shows the new yellow covers I added over the main lugs and wires coming in.
And it shows the channel going up toward the ceiling.

I don't know if I should separate the neutrals and grounds. Some are on the opposite side of the wires they belong with.
View attachment 36175
Is this a main panel, or a sub panel? Looks like a main panel though.

Back