diy solar

diy solar

NEC 710 / Split Phase

beckkl

I was trying to determine if I can get away with a non-UL listed AIO unit for an off-grid property in Michigan, and was reading through the NEC, when I found this:

710.15(C) Single 120-Volt Supply. Stand-alone systems shall be permitted to supply 120 volts to single-phase, 3-wire, 120/240-volt service equipment or distribution panels where there are no 240-volt outlets and where there are no multiwire branch circuits. In all installations, the sum of the ratings of the power sources shall be less than the rating of the neutral bus in the service equipment. This equipment shall be marked with the following words or equivalent:

WARNING: SINGLE 120-VOLT SUPPLY. DO NOT CONNECT MULTIWIRE BRANCH CIRCUITS!

If I am understanding this correctly, I am not permitted to install a split-phase unit, or have any 240V appliances?

I was trying to determine if I can get away with a non-UL listed AIO unit for an off-grid property in Michigan, and was reading through the NEC, when I found this:

710.15(C) Single 120-Volt Supply. Stand-alone systems shall be permitted to supply 120 volts to single-phase, 3-wire, 120/240-volt service equipment or distribution panels where there are no 240-volt outlets and where there are no multiwire branch circuits. In all installations, the sum of the ratings of the power sources shall be less than the rating of the neutral bus in the service equipment. This equipment shall be marked with the following words or equivalent:

WARNING: SINGLE 120-VOLT SUPPLY. DO NOT CONNECT MULTIWIRE BRANCH CIRCUITS!

If I am understanding this correctly, I am not permitted to install a split-phase unit, or have any 240V appliances?
Nevermind, I get it. BRANCH circuits. Duh.

Would you mind explaining this to me? I don't understand the distinction and want to set up a split phase system
If you only have a 120v supply, you can use that to supply both sides of your breaker panel as long as you don’t have any 240 circuits in that panel (and you add the verbiage above to the outside of the panel).

Wiring a full 240v capable panel in a manor that only serves 120v, meaning if you measure across both legs you get 0v not 240v

If you only have a 120v supply, you can use that to supply both sides of your breaker panel as long as you don’t have any 240 circuits in that panel (and you add the verbiage above to the outside of the panel).
OK, that's how my house is currently set up--the same 120V line going to both bus bars in the panel.

I was just confused by 710.15(C) like the OP because it makes it sound like you can only use 120V single phase OR three phase, but not a split phase 240 setup, which is what I'm planning to use for my workshop. But it's just saying you're allowed to power a 120/240 panel with a single 120V phase provided you use the correct warnings. (And you're now allowed to run 3 phase from an inverter)

I'm new to the NEC and learning to decode the legalese

Back