diy solar

diy solar

NEC2020 Workarounds?

Rednecktek

Solar Wizard
So after 30 pages and a MAJOR derailment the NEC2020 thread was shut down, which is good. However, I find myself really really confused about all of it and with some questions still for the off/on/both grid world of my cabin. So, I figure I'd try a new thread that has actual answers instead of rambling.

1: Is there anywhere I can find a layman friendly, concise summary of what's required for an off-grid solar system? The NEC books were written for inspectors and engineers.

2: What are the loopholes or workarounds to dodge all the new regulations that make DIY solar a non-starter or for people on a budget that DON'T have braodband internet for their systems?

My use case is such:
In my pump house I already have a 30a 240v generator plug wired into an interlocked breaker on my main service panel. My 7500w generator is plugged into that to feed the well pump and lights/outlets, but it also consumes a gallon of gas per hour to idle. I would use a smaller generator but I need the extra oomph for my 300ft deep well pump. I currently have an interlocked panel at the cabin itself that I run an extension cord out to my smaller 3500w generator for daily use when I'm actually up there and it's actually overkill for my needs (I spent a couple weeks up there recently and never broke 1500w with the AC on max) so I really only need the big generator for the well pump about 10 minutes a day.

I've been working for a few years to get power run up to the well pump and I'm almost there, but deployments and inspection/connection seasons rarely line up with my shore time, so it's taking forever.

Either way, what I'd like to do is set up some ground mount panels and a solar array in the shed that can power the well pump as well as the cabin if the grid goes down (because "rural" starts an hour away and I don't trust lines to get fixed quickly, plus independence is nice) but it sounds like with the new NEC2020 I'd have to spend more than the property is worth to check all the boxes and get all the blessings.

So, my options seem to be:

1: Do it anyways and hope the inspector doesn't show up.
2: Find a loophole that makes the system not fall under NEC2020 rules.
3: Win the lotto and get something legit installed.

Ideas for option 2? I seem to recall something about if it's lead acid it doesn't count or if it's a "solar generator" it doesn't count? Being plugged into an interlocked socket can I make it a "portable solar generator" and still be on racks in the building or do I need to get wheels involved?

Thanks all!

Grid-tie net metering is quite easy, and inverter data sheet likely shows block diagram.

Off-grid, inverter needs to kick over the motor.
You can probably get away with doing it stand-alone and no one will bother you.
Except, stuff gets stolen if unattended. Can your power system be on an RV, and drive off with it when you leave?

You'd rather have a very low volume positive-displacement pump that could run several hours per day.
But a small PV array and a big inverter on RV could power it.

2: What are the loopholes or workarounds to dodge all the new regulations that make DIY solar a non-starter or for people on a budget that DON'T have braodband internet for their systems?

Why is this required, I mean what regulation or technical dependancy?

Why is this required, I mean what regulation or technical dependancy?
IIRC the newer Enphase systems require an internet connection to work and it seems that more and more systems are becoming more reliant on a centralized monitoring system to operate. I'd really like to avoid that as I don't get FM or TV much less cell or internet.

IIRC the newer Enphase systems require an internet connection to work and it seems that more and more systems are becoming more reliant on a centralized monitoring system to operate. I'd really like to avoid that as I don't get FM or TV much less cell or internet.

Enphase is grid tied.
You don't need grid tied for your use case.

Microinverters much less common for off-grid. DC coupled SCC (or built in to inverter) is the most common. AC coupled GT PV string inverters sometimes used.
This DC Solar trailer comes DC coupled (only 2400W of panels) and supports AC coupling.
My home system has similar AC coupled hardware, and I later hooked up a local intranet, but not internet connected.

Some jurisdictions might have a permit requirement for a "generator", but these don't make noise (except the ones bundled with a diesel generator) and in a rural area no one is likely to bother you.

1664200695617.png

Many inverters require a local Ethernet or Bluetooth connection to configure, but some can be configured with switches and pushbuttons.
BMS for lithium batteries often give status through Bluetooth.

Enphase takes care of AFCI and RSD by being lower voltage/wattage per DC circuit (one panel). Rooftop arrays for other inverters may be required by code to have those functions, so additional hardware needed.

I'm pretty sure none of Will's system bundles have special needs.

Just to be clear you can still do ac charging and bypass from the grid.
I know, I had thoughts of maybe doing an AC coupled type system out there and getting free electricity for life because I'd generate WAY more power than I consume annually, but that turned out to be a dead end.

So most likely I'm back to doing 2 systems, 1 for the cabin that only needs a 3Kw single leg system and one 4Kw for the pump house just to run the 240v well pump and some lights.

I suggest you do an offi-grid system with solar as primary charge source and grid/generator as fall-back.

I suggest you do an offi-grid system with solar as primary charge source and grid/generator as fall-back.
Right, so back to the original question, is there a workaround or loophole to the NEC hoops that I can realistically afford to DIY or should I just stick with Plan A: Don't say anything.

Right, so back to the original question, is there a workaround or loophole to the NEC hoops that I can realistically afford to DIY or should I just stick with Plan A: Don't say anything.
Job one is to get an idea of the hoops involved by determining your usage model.

What about NEC do you think gets in the way? (Oh, just knowing what it is? Follow a sample design and calculate wire gauge for current.)
You should be able to install a compliant system.
One big issue with doing unpermitted work is, if later caught and have to get it permitted, it must comply with new code at that time.

If someone put PV panels next to a water pump, I don't that would run into any issues non-permitted (unless it was backfeeding grid.)
A single system powering everything would seem best, if running wire to the load is practical.

How long is the wire run? can you just dig a trench and bury wire or conduit, not worry about it?
I've bought a roll of UF and unrolled it on surface of the ground, a few hundred feet. Over the years, it became covered with leaves falling from the trees. If something like that had GFCI, any damage would not represent a hazard. (Suitable for a place that doesn't get people traffic, of course.)

Let me ask in another way, why is NEC compliance required for an off-grid system?

Is this question driven by insurance requirements?
No, it's driven by trying to find a balance between my needs for my unique use case VS my income VS the "Right Way" VS "Good Enough" and trying to find the overlap in THAT Zenn diagram.

That and curiosity.

The biggest issues I seem to find (I think, hence the request for a concise overview of 2020 requirements in the OP) are the need for UL equipment (which blows the budget), the excessive conduit and disconnect requirements, and the "Complete System Certification" that all seem to rule out doing a system that's legal AND affordable.

Let me ask in another way, why is NEC compliance required for an off-grid system?
It's not other than what may come along in the future for my nephews once I kick off and it becomes their problem. Plus, I live in fear of Code Compliance Officers that have been known to randomly stop by the hillside. Last thing I need is a Cease and Desist on the vacation cabin.

Plus, I live in fear of Code Compliance Officers that have been known to randomly stop by the hillside. Last thing I need is a Cease and Desist on the vacation cabin.
Does the code compliance officer have an authority over your off-grid system?

Does the code compliance officer have an authority over your off-grid system?
Being as that I will have grid power coming into the pump house, that makes all the electrical wiring inside the pump house fall under code, so yes.

EDIT: Sorry, really had to pee. Let me elaborate a bit.

When I was up there last time trying to get everything signed off for my utility connection I was talking to the inspector about my generator setup and the feasibility of replacing the gas generator with a solar setup instead. He told me that because A: it's inside the building and B: it connects to the main service panel that any solar system I put in there to power anything on the service panel would require that the entire solar system be compliant with NEC2020. Being as that getting a company like Tesla or the like to put in a certified NEC2020 compliant UL system would be many thousands of dollars more than I can afford AND most likely require a broadband internet connection I can't provide, I really, REALLY want to find some sort of way around the NEC2020. I work for a living. ?

As to the power pedestal, I've spent 4 years and thousands of dollars to get as far as I am now, there's no way I'm going to rip everything out and start over. Back when I started this project making a DIY system that was NEC compliant was WWAAYY easier.

Last edited:
Being as that I will have grid power coming into the pump house, that makes all the electrical wiring inside the pump house fall under code, so yes.
How bout doing a power pedestal?
That should be a clear demarcation.

Back