diy solar

diy solar

Need a backup generator, problem is...

1bad19d

I recently moved to Mobile, Alabama. I average about 1,000Kw a month, but peak at 1,400 Kw. Apparently, Alabama Power will charge me $5.42 per Kw for the array. Is their a way I can somehow not have them notice? I watched a video from Will Prowse, and he briefly mentioned MPP or GroWatt all-in-one system which requires no permit and just plugs into a wall outlet? Not sure how this works. Hope someone can help shed some solar light on the situation. Hurricanes and frequent power outages make me need a generator, so I am thinking solar is a good option considering the federal tax credits available currently. Thanks in advance!

You can install a grid assist setup. You basically put the solar between the grid and the house. When the sun is up, the house is running off solar, when the sun is down you run off grid. If the power goes out you run off solar if the sun is up, or battery/generator if it isn't.

A MPP solar all in unit for instance will let you install between the power meter and the main panel. You have grid power coming into the unit, you have solar coming into the unit, and you have battery.

Scenarios:

Sun is up and you have solar, house runs off solar
Sun is up and you have solar but not enough, house runs off solar and grid assist
Sun is down you run off batteries until the sun comes back up or you hit low battery then the grid takes over
Sun is up, but grid is down, house runs off solar and if there is not enough batteries until low battery and then you will need the generator
Sun is down, grid is down, house runs off batteries until lower battery and then you need the generator.

At no time does the system back feed the grid, so the only way the power company can tell you have solar is if they notice you suddenly aren't using any power, or if they happen to drive by and see a massive array on your roof.

Appears as though FERC decision now permits action in Federal courts.

Two FERC commissioners issued a concurring statement highlighting their concern that the state commission may be violating federal law by discouraging rooftop or on-site solar growth in Alabama.

So would I need to tie into the service panel box? I have a "smart meter," so I am not sure how that all works.

IMG-0431.jpg

Appears as though FERC decision now permits action in Federal courts.

Two FERC commissioners issued a concurring statement highlighting their concern that the state commission may be violating federal law by discouraging rooftop or on-site solar growth in Alabama.
agreed, but courts sometimes take decades to reach decisions, and power outages can come at anytime. :/

You can install a grid assist setup. You basically put the solar between the grid and the house. When the sun is up, the house is running off solar, when the sun is down you run off grid. If the power goes out you run off solar if the sun is up, or battery/generator if it isn't.

A MPP solar all in unit for instance will let you install between the power meter and the main panel. You have grid power coming into the unit, you have solar coming into the unit, and you have battery.

Scenarios:

Sun is up and you have solar, house runs off solar
Sun is up and you have solar but not enough, house runs off solar and grid assist
Sun is down you run off batteries until the sun comes back up or you hit low battery then the grid takes over
Sun is up, but grid is down, house runs off solar and if there is not enough batteries until low battery and then you will need the generator
Sun is down, grid is down, house runs off batteries until lower battery and then you need the generator.

At no time does the system back feed the grid, so the only way the power company can tell you have solar is if they notice you suddenly aren't using any power, or if they happen to drive by and see a massive array on your roof.
sounds like a plan... but I can not find an installer here at all. Reached out to Tesla and Angi's list... no one could help.

Going to need a new service panel....which will require anyone that has a license to pull a permit which will cause all the equipment you install to be UL certified and the cost will easily double. Sad fact of life.

Glowatt isn't UL certified as far as I know.

sounds like a plan... but I can not find an installer here at all. Reached out to Tesla and Angi's list... no one could help.

Ah, I was thinking DIY. I don't see anyway of doing this professionally installed without permits. If you can get an electrician to add a main breaker between the meter and the electrical box it would be nice, but if you are uncomfortable working in the panel, you are stuck I think.

You could pick one circuit to tie into if that would be enough in a power outage. Basically put the All in One between the electrical panel and the item (Fridge) and the solar panels/batteries will power that circuit, but again this would be DIY (you install the panels, controller, batteries).

agreed, but courts sometimes take decades to reach decisions, and power outages can come at anytime. :/
The Southern Environmental Law Center and Ragsdale LLC filed the lawsuit on July 12th against the Alabama Public Service Commission on behalf of four Alabama Power customers who installed solar panels on their properties and the Greater-Birmingham Alliance to Stop Pollution, or GASP.

While the lawsuit deals with home and business solar energy systems, Alabama Power on July 13th won approval for its own large solar project.

The Alabama Public Service Commission approved Alabama Power’s proposal for an 80-megawatt HEP Greenville solar project to be located in Butler County.

DO AS I SAY NOT AS I DO!! APSC will lose.

Ah, I was thinking DIY. I don't see anyway of doing this professionally installed without permits. If you can get an electrician to add a main breaker between the meter and the electrical box it would be nice, but if you are uncomfortable working in the panel, you are stuck I think.

You could pick one circuit to tie into if that would be enough in a power outage. Basically put the All in One between the electrical panel and the item (Fridge) and the solar panels/batteries will power that circuit, but again this would be DIY (you install the panels, controller, batteries).
I have a friend who is an electrician... just wondering if I can skirt the system... apparently... MAYBE?:unsure:

It really just depends on what your goals are. Are you just trying to power the fridge for a couple of days, or are you trying to run the house like normal (AC, Water heater, lights, fridge, stove, microwave, etc.)?

I have a friend who is an electrician... just wondering if I can skirt the system... apparently... MAYBE?:unsure:
It does not seem like you are interested in doing any planning, sizing or permitting so I would suggest starting with a smaller stand alone system rather than learning while tapping into your home's electrical system (illegally).

Looks like the structure is raised up a few feet? How close to the coast? Will this panel go under water when the big one hits?

I built a self-contained backup system with new circuits to critical loads. This allows me to plug devices into the normal house circuits or the backup circuits as needed. The only connection the backup has to the grid is a cord I can plug into an outlet (or my generator) to charge the system.

It does not seem like you are interested in doing any planning, sizing or permitting so I would suggest starting with a smaller stand alone system rather than learning while tapping into your home's electrical system (illegally).
Nah

It shouldn't, if it does I have home owners insurance.

If you want insurance to pay for damages then you might want to think twice about installing a solar system (or any other power systems) without permit. In case of damage, insurance company could deny claim if they think a power system without permit made the electrical system unsafe in some way.

I built a self-contained backup system with new circuits to critical loads. This allows me to plug devices into the normal house circuits or the backup circuits as needed. The only connection the backup has to the grid is a cord I can plug into an outlet (or my generator) to charge the system.
This is what I would suggest as well. You can pretty easily build a small array (6 to 9 panels), and all in one inverter, and a small battery pack for under $2k that will give you 8kw of usable power a day, plenty enough for lights and the fridge and maybe a mini split if you supplement with a small generator when needed. All you would have to do is plug the all in one into a standard outlet and set the charge controller to not pull more than 10a, and then hook up the solar and battery. You could then wire a small sub panel into the inverter side to power up to the inverter rating (~2000w). That would put all your critical loads on the solar, but you would still have grid assist when needed. If the power goes out you are on solar and then battery/generator.

Back