diy solar

diy solar

Need a clever solution to house a 30amp extension cord outdoors

Guda

Superstrut Strut
The plan was a outdoor NEMA enclosure. I ordered one that was not hinged, wont work for this. I'll use it as my combiner box so its not $ lost. Then I looked up a hinged outdoor NEMA & $300 is just too much to house a extension cord.

What ever I use it will have a outdoor rated JB inside. Really no reason for a NEMA to just hold a coiled up extension cord. Weather proof (ish), metal & about 18x18x6.

This is the cord that connects the AIO AC charging side to the "generator" (its my truck so no it cant be hard wired) When its not in use I want a nice place to put it. There is no plug, its just wired right to the AIO

I looked at some metal garage cabinets at Lowes I might go with. But they are a bit to big. One is on sale for like $120, of coarse they were out, thats around my budget.
Thanks!

Seems to me you can just keep the extension cord indoors.
Its the inlet on the container and outlet on the truck that need to be weather protected.
Right?

Seems to me you can just keep the extension cord indoors.
Its the inlet on the container and outlet on the truck that need to be weather protected.
Right?
I could, but I have to have the male plug end as the extension end. That would mean I need some sore of reverse plug to plug it into on the house side. I have not seen a reverse plug. Have never looked tho. I could wire 2 male plugs on that cable, but then thats all that cable can do & I have to put it some where. Having it all hard wired & stowed in the same spot is fancy style.

Nice! Much thanks!
Just to be clear that link was just one example of an inlet.
You need to get the right one for your application.
Is your inverter 120/240VAC or just 120VAC?

Just to be clear that link was just one example of an inlet.
You need to get the right one for your application.
Is your inverter 120/240VAC or just 120VAC?
I am using 20amp plugs with 30amp wire to run 20amps.

I got this one coming to their Bend store.

This is way slicker that even a hinged outdoor nema. I just saved $ & will be more code friendly.

Thanks again!

Back