diy solar

diy solar

need a lot off help LOL. Building a system that it will draw from the grid with no back feed.

mrfcc1

building new system. I have 10 Suntech STP285 - 20/Wfh solar panels wired 2s5p to end up with 62.8v, 45.4a, 1425w system.
Electrical Characteristics
STC STP285-20/Wfh
Maximum Power at STC (Pmax) 285 W
Optimum Operating Voltage (Vmp) 31.4 V
Optimum Operating Current (Imp) 9.08 A
Open Circuit Voltage (Voc) 38.3 V
Short Circuit Current (Isc) 9.48 A
Module Efficiency 17.2%
Operating Module Temperature -40 °C to +85 °C
Maximum System Voltage 1000 V DC (IEC)
Maximum Series Fuse Rating 20 A
Power Tolerance 0/+5 W
STC: lrradiance 1000 W/m2, module temperature 25 °C, AM=1.5;
Best in Class AAA solar simulator (IEC 60904-9) used, power measurement uncertainty is within +/- 3%
NOCT STP285-20/Wfh
Maximum Power at NOCT (Pmax) 210.2 W
Optimum Operating Voltage (Vmp) 28.9 V
Optimum Operating Current (Imp) 7.28 A
Open Circuit Voltage (Voc) 35.2 V
Short Circuit Current (Isc) 7.69 A

50 amp fuse

5KVA Solar Inverter 4000W 48V 230V Pure Sine Wave Hybrid Inverter Built-in 60A MPPT off-Grid Solar Controller Battery Charger

50 amp fuse

48v battery bank (I would like to use 4- 48v 99.999Ah 1000w 13S3P Lithium ion Battery Packs wired in parallel) these are elect bike packs so I would assume they need a new BMS.

50 amp fuse

shut off switch

480/230v eu to 120/240V us 1ph Transformer

50 amp fuse

MOES Dual Power Controller 50A 5500 Watt Automatic Transfer Switch for Off Grid Solar Wind System ATS DC 12V 24V 48V AC 110V 220V
with power from grid and solar array to electrical panel

This is the system I'm proposing, I actually have no idea if it's a feasible layout or not and figured asking here will get me started in the right direction

Last edited:
Usually, the first thing you would do is an energy audit... It's important to establish what your power needs will be. Don't be quick to spend money before you know what you need/want, and what will interoperate well together, or you'll be buying a lot of things again and again... Some of the moderators and other guys here have links in their sigs to good sites for doing energy audits.

Also check out Will Prowse's DIY Solar Blueprints page: http://www.mobile-solarpower.com/

Are your electric bike packs LiFePO4 chemistry, or what are they? Are they 3.2v or 3.6v cells? Will the bank voltage work well with your inverter/ charger selection?

Make sure to spend a decent amount of time doing the research enough to where you are confident in what you need and you know the whys prior to buying anything.

I have many thoughts but first I would recommend considering what @Samsonite801 said.

If however you're just looking to build an appropriately sized system to utilize your 10x 285W panels, we can definitely help with that. It is a little unclear to me though, do you already have everything in that list beyond the panels?

Last edited:
Yeah I had wondered that as well... If so, can provide more specifics on model numbers like what inverter, and any more details possible...

He does say: "I have 10 Suntech STP285..." ...perhaps yeah, he already has all that stuff, or some of it anyways...

Are you trying to build a system that will operate your loads off batteries and solar during power failures?
Or, is the only reason for a battery-based system so you can use solar (and grid if necessary) for loads, but never backfeed the grid?

Back