diy solar

diy solar

Need a Solar Installer for my Van in New Mexico / Colorado / Arizona Area

comrade-g

Earth Passenger
Hello friends,
I have all the components/parts for a solar system in my 2019 Ford Transit Van 250 High Roof.
I'm looking for help to install the entire kit in my van.
I WILL DRIVE TO YOU.

These are the Parts (+ all cables and lugs):
Victron Charge Controller MPPT 100|30
Victron Multi Control 200/200A - Digital
Victron Cyrix Alternator Charger w/ Boost 230A (Lithium)
Victron Inverter AC Input/Output 30A 3000VA 120A
DC Distribution Kit (for Drop-In Lithium)
Victron Battery Monitor BMV-712 - Bluetooth
Victron Battery Protect - Smart 12/24-65A
[3] 100Ah GC2 Battle Born Lithium Batteries
[2] Zamp Solar Panels 170watts

Last edited:
Victron Cyrix Alternator Charger w/ Boost 230A (Lithium)
I recently helped a friend add DC-DC charging so know a little about the Transit vans for this.
The alternator is usually 185a, not sure how a 230A alternator charger would behave with this (i have zero experience with the Cyrix), and only a single DC-DC charger install behind me (see next paragraph).

I do know that adding a DC-DC charger, especially the Victron Orion Smart unit, is pretty easy for a Transit van. There is a 70a fused accessory power port behind the passenger seat at the base of the pillar. While there is also an IGN sensor pin available, its not needed because the Smartiness of the Orion senses when the alternator is on by itself.
I can point you to where to order the 15 pin connector which you need to add a single pin and wire to (ours sits unused).
We used a 30A DC-DC charger and from what I heard is working very well. I wish i measured how many amps it pulled when charging.

I have come to the conclusion that no one does RV installs, because it would be too hard to pay the bills.

(NOT AN OFFER) I would love to do it for a living, but I would need to make about $400 per day, plus parts. Would take me five full days to put the parts on and test them. There’d also be a significant cost in hardware like nuts / Bolts / Battery Boxes / Cabling. Again, (NOT AN OFFER), only intended to tell you how much labor would be involved.

He’s not advertising now, but someone was advertising RV installs on Craigslist in the Phoenix area, so you may want to search craigslist.

I have come to the conclusion that no one does RV installs, because it would be too hard to pay the bills.

(NOT AN OFFER) I would love to do it for a living, but I would need to make about $400 per day, plus parts. Would take me five full days to put the parts on and test them. There’d also be a significant cost in hardware like nuts / Bolts / Battery Boxes / Cabling. Again, (NOT AN OFFER), only intended to tell you how much labor would be involved.

He’s not advertising now, but someone was advertising RV installs on Craigslist in the Phoenix area, so you may want to search craigslist.
Thank you...will look into craigslist

I recently helped a friend add DC-DC charging so know a little about the Transit vans for this.
The alternator is usually 185a, not sure how a 230A alternator charger would behave with this (i have zero experience with the Cyrix), and only a single DC-DC charger install behind me (see next paragraph).

I do know that adding a DC-DC charger, especially the Victron Orion Smart unit, is pretty easy for a Transit van. There is a 70a fused accessory power port behind the passenger seat at the base of the pillar. While there is also an IGN sensor pin available, its not needed because the Smartiness of the Orion senses when the alternator is on by itself.
I can point you to where to order the 15 pin connector which you need to add a single pin and wire to (ours sits unused).
We used a 30A DC-DC charger and from what I heard is working very well. I wish i measured how many amps it pulled when charging.
Thank you for taking the time to post...i appreciate it

The problem with RV installs is that every RV is different. Knowing where components can be placed and where wires can be run changes from RV to RV. My install looks good (to me at least) but the amount of time I wasted to make it look that good would make me a poor man if I tried to get paid for installs.

I live in Eugene and building a van out right now . I am solar duuuuuuumb so knowing my limitations i started looking around and couldn't not find anyone at all til about a week ago I called a local home solar place and they gave me this web page (I cant post the name sorry message me if ya want it) I am not indorsing these guys nor do I have any monetary value in this. plus if you ever make it to eugene oregon I did finally find a local guy at (I cant post the name sorry message me if ya want it) . any who hope that helped.

Last edited:
I just completed my Cargo Trailer installation. How could a Van be any different?

Do you want to drive it all to Wichita?

Try giving Larry at Starlight Solar in Yuma AZ a call. He has a good rep.

Finding someone who knows how to make the proper electrical connections for your install is relatively easy. The difficult part is finding someone who knows how to produce a good-looking, sound, serviceable, mechanically strong install, too. This part is almost an art form when done well. I'd ask for references and install pics before choosing someone. Good luck!

Last edited:
Try giving Larry at Starlight Solar in Yuma AZ a call. He has a good rep.

Finding someone who knows how to make the proper electrical connections for your install is relatively easy. The difficult part is finding someone who knows how to produce a good-looking, sound, serviceable, mechanically strong install, too. This part is almost an art form when done well. I'd ask for references and install pics before choosing someone. Good luck!
Thank you for the contact...i appreciate it

Back