diy solar

diy solar

Need advice: looking for split phase battery backup system, generator-style

@snoobler do you know how legit is the company which sells these inverters? I tried ordering one and they added Utah tax on top of the order even though I'm not in Utah, and my state has no sales tax. I emailed support and they replied "Since we are in Utah, We are required to charge Utah state sales tax on all orders, regardless of where they are being shipped to". Doesn't sound right to me... is that a new thing?

They have been in business for decades and are well respected.

I checked an order I placed in August 2020, and they charged no sales tax at all for Arizona. Arizona has sales tax in general, but solar products are exempt.

I recommend you call and speak with Carl.

They have been in business for decades and are well respected.

I checked an order I placed in August 2020, and they charged no sales tax at all for Arizona. Arizona has sales tax in general, but solar products are exempt.

I recommend you call and speak with Carl.

I called, and I emailed.

6KW is pretty much the lowest split phase inverter size of much use... most any 240V appliance is going to need over 4KW...
if you were looking for less than 6KW, what were you planning to operate on split phase output?
FWIW, for a typical modern house, split phase backup power is useful regardless of load because it's common to see multiwire branch circuits used. You can only light up one circuit in the pair if you're stuck with a 120V power source.

I too am planning to have backup generator and need 240v split phase so I can feed Main panel + Sub-panel, via a mechanical interlock.

I've had a pair of inverter gen's on order for over 2 months: https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200788693_200788693 .
The sweet spot is inverting at 240, small, quite and parallel option. With 2 I can go quiet on one (~64db), or go both if I need.

Additionally I plan to convert them to natural gas so I'm ready w/o storing gobs of gas....

The other part of my plan is similar to yours, except:
1-Active (automatic) Sump backup
2-Passive (manual mechanical interlock)

Equipment:
MS4844-PAE (4.4kw 48v) Inverter
280Ah 48v LiFeO4 (DIY) prismatic battery bank

My options will be:
Fulltime Sump bat backup
Manual Switch Option to use backup bat power for house (enough for over night w/o the generator noise)
Manual Switch & Gen I have whole house lit (less 240v oven and AC which is fine)

Back