diy solar

diy solar

Need Advice - Small Easy Off Grid Solar Panel Set up for a Remote Place with NO POWER

I would do 24V of AGM batteries, linear voltage regulator to drop voltage to 24V ... 26V max.
Don't know about reliability of the 12V to 24V DC/DC converters others suggest, but I've had a lot of AC/DC switching supplies fail.

up to 7 antenna drawing 0.5A each, 3.5A x 24 hours is a bit over 100 Ah to last one day. 300 Ah or more.
My battery bank is 48V, 405 Ah and cost $5000 so yours could be 24V, 405 Ah for $2500. That would be 75% DoD if 3 days without sun.

2400 Wh/day is about 500W of panels.
Two panels, 400 to 500W each. One aimed at 9:00 AM winter sun and one at 3:00 PM winter sun should produce enough power and keep battery well charged until evening, reducing cycling at night for longer life.
Maybe four 300W panels. Summer and winter tilt, morning and afternoon sun. PV panels are now the cheapest part of the system so you can over-panel to make up for overcast days.

Will internet connection be available at the tower? That would permit telemetry.

You might use PTC fuses to feed each tower so if one shorts out the others stay up.
There are various sorts of redundancy that can be implemented if you have an idea of what components are less reliable. For instance splitting panels across multiple charge controllers. If one dies the others keep it working, and you'll see the change via telemetry.

YES...internet connection WILL be available at the tower. So, if there is a way to monitor my Power Source via my PC, that would be better than hiking 2 miles up a steep mountain.

I like Victron equipment (it’s what I installed on my RV)
The smart Solar 100/30 or 100/20 solar charge controller.
For monitoring a Victron CCGX and also a battery monitor Victron BMV712 plus some cables

That will allow you to monitor on your PC. Actually it would be on Victron’s cloud and you would connect to the cloud. I believe you could set low voltage warnings.

I don’t know if there are cheaper monitor systems (I am sure there are). See if there is a local Victron dealer - Victron is very popular in the sailing world.

"MPPT" means Maximum Power Point Tracking (do not confuse for MPPT Solar brand name)
A PV panel produces maximum power at some voltage (and current), which varies with sunshine and temperature. MPPT charge controllers move voltage up and down to find that point.
They can converter high voltage (e.g. 40V, 120V) to 28V while boosting current accordingly.

"PWM" Pulse Width Modulated charge controllers simply short PV panel to battery, then disconnect. They deliver amps from PV without any boost.

Anything on this page that is equal to or greater than the calculated current:

The charge controller is basically a sophisticated battery charger that uses the solar panels to charge the battery. "MPPT" stands for Maximum Power Point Tracking - it means that it has the ability to find the "sweet spot" of the solar panel output to get maximum power out of it. It also allows for much greater flexibility in how you configure your array.

someone know how much consumption the controller will take?
i’m curious if you know it on your model (pwm or mppt)..

My Victron 100/50 says 30 m A at 12v on the data sheet for self consumption. That I assume is with Bluetooth on.

Back