diy solar

diy solar

Need advice / technical information about DIY solar powered outdoor evaporative cooler (swamp cooler)

Pauline

I have no experience with electrical, electronics, or solar. I am new to this website (https://diysolarforum.com) and am seeking advice / help about my DIY solar project: I want to make a 12 volt, outdoor, solar powered evaporative cooler (outdoor portable swamp cooler on wheels). I purchased four Thuderbolt brand, 12 volt, 100 watt, 7 amp portable briefcase solar panels from Harbor Freight Tools store. I purchased two 12 volt, 120 watt, 12 amp automotive radiator fans, two 12 volt, 20 amp motor speed controllers (one motor speed controller for each fan), a 12 volt, 30 watt, submersible water pump, and swamp cooler water pads from Amazon.com. I would prefer to buy and use four buck step-down voltage regulators that will stabilize the voltage & wattage output of my four Thunderbolt brand, 12 volt, 100 watt, 7 amp portable briefcase solar panels by preventing voltage & wattage output fluctuation during use of the panels. I was hoping I could use four buck step-down voltage regulators wired to my four solar panels, instead of purchasing and implementing a solar-charge controller and batteries. The rated output of each of my 12 volt, 100 watt, 7 amp briefcase portable solar panels is: 14 - 22 volts which will slowly, eventually damage my two 12 volt, 120 watt, 12 amp automotive radiator fan motors and my 12 volt water pump if I do not implement a voltage regulator or if I do not implement a charge controller and battery to stabilize the voltage at 12 volts. According to Thunderbolt Solar, the 'Open Circuit Voltage' (VoC) of each of the 12 volt, 100 watt, 7 amp portable briefcase solar panels, is: 21.5 volts, and the 'Typical Maximum Power Point Voltage' (MPPT) is: 17.5 volts, and the 'Typical MPPT Current' is: 6.2 Amps DC. Various sellers on Amazon.com sell Adjustable Buck Voltage Regulators which stops fluctuation of voltage output of solar panels, stabilizing the voltage to 12 volts or whatever voltage I adjust the Buck voltage regulators to allow as the output voltage of each solar panel. Will I need to buy and implement one or more batteries to stabilize the wattage output to 100 watts? If so, I am presuming I should buy a solar charge controller instead of using Buck voltage regulators because I would need to buy one or more batteries anyway. I also need diysolarforum.com members to advise me on choosing the correct type and size fuses for protecting all the devices / components of my 12 volt, solar powered, portable outdoor evaporative cooler (outdoor portable swamp cooler).

I need a way to keep my inverter cool, and I am thinking about retrofitting an old 115V swamp cooler with a 24V fan and water pump. I could run it from the load terminal of my charge controller. For me, it would be easier to retrofit an existing unit. There are complete swamp cooler builds on YouTube.

Back