diy solar

diy solar

Need advice, Use Will's Classic 400 Watt w/ Alternator Charging AND a portable Solar generator with Suitcase panels, and expand later

Leoland

I am building out a E- series Ford van for camping. I plan on installing Will's Classic 400 Watt w/ Alternator Charging now (van is currently stripped out ). Due to my needs and budget I thought I would start with 2@ 100watt panels, and maybe a Solar Generator rather than a battery. The reasons for this are the portability of a generator and budget. Since I want to use this as a Camping Van, I may not want to keep an expensive battery onboard all the time when not in use. I am also considering a suitcase Solar panel setup for the same reason. I am wondering I could install the Classic 400 watt system minus the inverter, battery and roof mounted panels, but plan space for a later expansion into an inverter, battery and panels as my money and needs arise. Meanwhile, when I am not camping I could have the use of the Solar generator and panels in other places. What do you think? Could I latter mount an additional 200 Watts Panels to the roof, add a battery and 2000 PS wave inverter that works together with the solar generator? How could the batteries work together and is there a way to have a 2000 Watt Inverter run on that new system, bypassing the generator invertor? As I said, I need advice!

Classic 400W system without inverter, battery and panels is what? Just a bunch of wires going to nothing?

Build your own portable system. You'll get 2X the function for half the price, and you can eventually incorporate those components into the Van if you choose.

IMHO, getting two off-grid systems to work together would be a challenge not worth tackling. IMHO, make the system portable so you can use it when you're in the van in its resting place, then disconnect and go when you want to go portable. You'd have a set of mounted panels and a set of portable panels - possibly the flexible ETFE kind for easy transport. The flexible panels and a simple frame built from zip ties and 1/2 SCH 40 PVC irrigation pipe would double as a "deployable array" - you could park in the shade and set the panels up out in the sun.

Thank you snoobler, I appreciate your input. I don't disagree with your opinion that two systems would be complicated, expensive and not a great idea. Since I posted I came across the new Bluetti AC200P, that is a great concept if I could afford it, and also build a bank vault in the back of the van for when I am hiking. But, alternator charging is a big issue with me, in that any system needs to have a DC to DC charger as I need to protect the 135 Amp van alternator and a reasonable charge rate. If I DIY a solar generator (12V?), and it has the inverter, battery, charge controller in it, do I merely add a DC to DC charger like the Renogy 40 Amp skipping the MPPT , or could a Renogy 30 Amp on Board Charger /MPPT be used in the solar generator if the proper wire disconnects to the van are worked out. Besides the van not being a full time use/live in vehicle, I also live in Colorado and it gets sub-zero cold in the winter, so keeping an expensive battery parked outside during the winter is not a good idea. I do have a diesel heater installed already, but I do not want to heat a parked van if I am not using it for travels.
Then I could wire the van for shore power AC, some type of transfer switch, and the Solar Generator AC, and DC power, running the 12v fridge and other items through the charging Solar Generator while driving. Do you think that is a possible scenario?

I would search this forum for the AC200 and read user accounts. It's very hit and miss, and non-English speaking Bluetti support is frustrating at best and incompetent at worst. Supply and support are clearly issues for the company at this point.

The AC200 is a self contained unit with restrictions on how it can be charged, so you'd need to adapt a means of charging.

Also, I was under the impression that you're budget sensitive. You could DIY a substantially more capable system with 2-3X the capacity for the cost of the Bluetti.

Yes, I am Budget sensitive. I think you may have misunderstood me, I like the concept of the AC200, not that I can afford that unit, especially since it has a very slow 12 DC charging time at 8.2 amps. My thinking is more along the lines of a two panels and DIY solar generator that I can also charge when driving as well through the van alternator. While I am going to budget for this, it is not that I think that it will not cost me money. Since the van is stripped out, now is the time to design a system that can work. My concept: A solar generator with with a 2000 watt Pure Sine inverter and charge controller that, such as the with Renogy 30 Amp MPPT that can DC to DC charge from the running Van alternator as well as from the solar panels when they are deployed. I would also need to size the wiring to handle the DC to DC charger between the alternator/ starting battery and the Renogy MPPT in the DIY Solar generator. I would need to use an appropriate disconnect to have the Solar Generator removable from the van and a proper safe disconnect in the Van to protect the terminals from the starting battery.
The benefits to me would be that I could charge the Solar Generator battery while driving, either to or between campsites, Have a removable Solar generator for other uses, protect the generator battery pack by having it stored indoors when not in use, and only need to acquire a single battery pack charge controller.
As far as the Van wiring, I could have an XT60/90 harness connection to plug in the Solar Generator to power a MaxFan, Refrigerator, lights , etc.
My specific question is, could the Renogy MPPT charge controller that Will recommends in his Classic 400 Watt w/ Alternator Charging function this way? What do you see as the fatal flaws in this concept?
I understand this would cost money, but I doubt that it would be as expensive as a AC200 and would have the important benefit to me of having a DC to DC charger. So, while I am budget sensitive, value to me is having something that works for me at a fair price. Once again I want to thank you because I think I am learning things, you are certainly helping me to clarify my ideas.

It really sounded like you were going to buy a Bluetti... whew! :)

The Renogy MPPT charge controller is VERY limiting. You can only put 12V panels in parallel. Since you want portability, you can get a DC-DC charger for alternator charging and a separate SCC for the portable system. Your total outlay will probably be about the same, but you'll get much greater flexibility on solar and not need 2X SCC.

You could design the portable with a 30A RV socket on it. You'd have a short umbilical in the van. You could simply plug your Van AC into the portable. XT60 connector for the DC-DC charging/12V buss and then MC4 for the panel input. If you invest in an inverter/charger unit for the portable, you could also devise a means of fast charging via shore power or a generator.

Snoobler, et al. Thanks for your good input. I have ordered a Renogy 40 Amp dc to dc charger ( Amazon cosmetic dinged unit). I have also looked at the Dokio 200 watt panel. So, a plan is starting to formulate but I would love advice. My current thinking in order, 1, Install the DC to DC charger to charge the Solar generator battery (house). 2, A Van mounted DC Fuse block and other van wiring to be mated the 12V 100 Amp Generator battery (LiFepo4) via a harness (also add shore power wiring to the van now). At this point, I have Diesel Heater, Lights, Fan, and USB charger power seperate from the starting battery. 3. Add 2000 Watt inverter and I have mobile AC power. 4. Add Dokio 200 watt panel( or similar) for solar recharging. I am beginning to visualize a mobile modular setup.
Now, the devil is in the details and I need some guidance. First, for something like the portable Dokio 200 Watt Panels, What type of SCC would I need. MPPT? The portable Dokio's seem to come with some type of controller or something, should I simply bypass that and go direct to a new solar generator SCC? I would like the ability to expand to a 400 watt system in the future. Most of the time, if not all of the time, that the panels are deployed, I think the engine will be off so there can be a physical disconnect from the battery if needed. I am new to this and do not want to damaged the battery. In the future, can a second 100 Amp battery can be added in parallel through a harness?. A modular generator (for lack of a better term) having a battery(expandable), inverter, power outlets, etc. and portable panels.
Second, recommendations for some type of transfer switch or disconnect between shore AC power and the generator Inverter AC power. I imagine this can be done manually, but some type of automatic transfer would protect against screw ups.
Are the Classic 400 watt system and Will's Solar generator blueprints the best research for this, I certainly do not want to reinvent the wheel here? If you know of a thread to point me to so I don't keep bothering you, I very much appreciate it

Also, I don't quite understand the the 30 Amp RV socket interface. I have a 30A RV socket coming. Can you point me in that direction as well. Thanks

This is what I did on my first inverter:

1608008816182.png

I took a 15A to 30A dongle and cut off the 15A end (standard 3 prong plug), and then attached the wires to the L, N and G terminals of the inverter. Now I plug a 30-50A adapter and my 50A RV umbilical into that. You could also do it up nice with a receptacle:

Will has a page where he adapted the 400W system into a portable box:

If you can provide specs for or links to your proposed components, I can provide input.

Back