diy solar

diy solar

need advise for 24v 300A breakers

The chart below that goes to 150A for a 10% voltage drop, but I really don't like to allow a voltage drop that large between two critical components like the Battery and Inverter.

So I guess the net result is that from an ampacity point of view, 4AWG is OK. From a voltage drop point of view, it would be best to have a larger wire.
In either case, If you have a 200A fuse, 4AWG is too small.

Wire size varies based on condition and wire type. From NEC handbook 2017, insulated wire in free air.
Always size the wire based on the fuse size. You don't want the wire to act like a fuse.

Attachments

• 2017 NEC Handbook_wire ampacity.png
    2017 NEC Handbook_wire ampacity.png
    85.5 KB · Views: 15
  • Love
Reactions: Dzl
As for what the OP needs, from what I understand, they have a 24V 2000W inverter. If so, to find out what size over current protection they need (breaker or fuse) divide the watts by the lowest working voltage time 1.25. So, 2000W / 21V x 1.25 = 120A breaker needed. That's a far cry from 300A. (Although I question this, because they also said max current from system is 120A, so did they already do this math, or are they actually seeing that, in which case, the system probably isn't 24V but 12V?)

2000 ac watts * 1.15 coversion efficiency / 24 volts low cutoff = 104.166666667 dc amps.
104.166666667 dc amps * 1.25 fuse factor = 130.208333333 fuse amps.

What is the surge rating on the inverter? Fuse and wire size should account for the surge rating. Usually the inverter manufacturer has a recommended time delay fuse size. I would suspect that a 2000W inverter will be able to surge to 3000W. Usually a 2000W inverter at 24V will be best paired with a 200A fuse and then appropriate wire to match. Undersizing wire to an inverter will give you all kinds of trouble if you are trying to operate the inverter at high capacity or if you are trying to start big loads.

What is the surge rating on the inverter? Fuse and wire size should account for the surge rating. Usually the inverter manufacturer has a recommended time delay fuse size. I would suspect that a 2000W inverter will be able to surge to 3000W. Usually a 2000W inverter at 24V will be best paired with a 200A fuse and then appropriate wire to match. Undersizing wire to an inverter will give you all kinds of trouble if you are trying to operate the inverter at high capacity or if you are trying to start big loads.

Unless an inverter's surge capacity duration is long enough to flirt with OCPD's trip curve then its not really a factor.

2000 ac watts * 1.15 coversion efficiency / 24 volts low cutoff = 104.166666667 dc amps.
104.166666667 dc amps * 1.25 fuse factor = 130.208333333 fuse amps.

Good luck finding a fuse that carries it’s rating out 9 places past the decimal ?

i bougth this from https://www.amazon.com/ZOOKOTO-12V-24V-Circuit-Breaker-Trolling/dp/B081SF8ZBP/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=150a+breaker+24v&qid=1596642919&sr=8-3&th=1 and it get hot when i use about 2000W keep using it for 20 minutes.it tripped. any recommendation for a better one? thank you

Hi Gpower07,

I'm new here :). Ok first of to answer your question, without knowing anything about your system really.

You want a fuse switch disconnect which holds NH fuses. Quality brands like Bussman and Woehner make them. They get pretty pricey for the Size 2 3 pole options which is what you'll need for 300a. If you need 160a its quite a bit cheaper. You want slow blow fuses.

link so you know what I'm talking about:

How long and what size did you say your dc cables are? I read something about a 10% voltage drop and 4AWG. You don't want either of those. Having an unbalanced system design like that is going to create DC ripple, the voltage drop an increase in current which will make it worse. Sort out you cable size and length.

Like @Aussie Solar said, when you get to higher amp DC breakers, it gets *very* pricey to get one that is going to do the job. The breakers on amazon the are specified for over 150A are all cr@p that should not be trusted. (it sounds like you have discovered this first hand... consider the cost of the breaker tuition.)

I used to have the opinion that everything should be done with breakers. That way I could always reset a breaker an get on with it. However, I have done a complete 180 on this when it comes to high amp DC breakers. My current feeling is that when you are talking about over-current protect at levels of 100A -150A or above, you should be talking about only blowing in extreme catastrophic events. If your design might regularly trip that size breaker.... you have a bad design. I now just use a fuse for the larger current protection and call it good. It is cheap and reliable and unless something really bad happens, you will never have to touch it after it is installed. ( In one design for a boat where getting a fuse could be a problem, I specified using a 2nd, unwired fuse holder to hold a spare. Even then, if the fuse blows, you likely have bigger problems than finding a spare fuse.)

Last edited:
I noticed not all ANL fuses are rated the same way, kind of like the breakers I guess.

I noticed the cheaper priced ANL fuses were audio, and none of the listed the "6,000 Ampere Interrupt Rating satisfies ABYC requirements for main DC circuit protection on large battery banks" that Blue Sea does. I had already got the Blue Sea ANL Fuse box, but bought an audio ANL fuse for it. I now have two Blue Sea ANL fuses on order.

I really don't know why the difference is there for audio circuit breakers and main DC circuit protection for large battery banks, but I've spent so much on my system, I don't want to lose it because I wanted to save $20 on a fuse.

Took a minute to figure out what you were trying to do. You don't want to send low voltage DC very far as massive wire is required. If your inverter is located right next to your batteries, ground fault fusing (short circuit) isn't required, and your inverter should protect against over current (I would think). Proper wire / breaker sizing is actually pretty complicated and requires knowing how to use the NEC tables. It involves amps, wire type, distance, terminal connection temp ratings, ambient temperature, type of load (continuous v non-continuous) motor loads are another thing entirely. Then the are demand considerations such as what appliances will be used at the same time. While I would be happy to help with this, my recommendation would be to wire your invertor straight to a small residential panel with a main breaker right around the peak amps your invertor can supply. Then, use standard circuitry from there. 14awg wire for a 15A circuit with each receptacle presumed to be 1,800W (stick with around 10 or less). 12awg wire for a 20A circuit for something like a heater or small - medium AC unit. Getting into bigger stuff, 10awg for a 30A 2 phase appliance like a range or heater. Rule of thumb - your wire must be rated at 125% of your breaker rating. If your breakers are 90C rated, and you use THHN wire, you can use the 90C column in the NEC table - otherwise use the 75C column. Hope that helps.

Here is a circuit breaker rated for 32V at 300A. It is rated for marine use so I expect this is real (never used one so I can't vouch for its quality). It is not going to serve as a switch, but neither does a fuse. The pic is the generic version, the part linked is rated for 300A. Note this is automatic reset breaker which may not be what you want.
breaker.jpg

Last edited:
Here is a circuit breaker rated for 32V at 300A. It is rated for marine use so I expect this is real (never used one so I can't vouch for its quality). It is not going to serve as a switch, but neither does a fuse. The pic is the generic version, the part linked is rated for 300A. Note this is automatic reset breaker which may not be what you want.
View attachment 26148
I would not recommend using this breaker for a couple of reasons.

1) Auto reset of a 300A breaker is almost certainly not appropriate for anything in DIY solar. If you have an event that causes a 300A breaker to trip.... something really bad happened. I would not want it to automatically turn back on without knowing what the event was and insuring it is fixed.

2) This style of breaker is notorious for being highly unreliable. The quality breaker manufactures don't build these larger that 150-200A. I did some research on it and concluded that you just can't get enough copper and mechanism into this size package and still have a reliable breaker.

I can't speak to the quality of this breaker, but it has a manual reset and is also rated for 300A
View attachment 26149

If you look at the reviews a number of folks say it trips at 120 amps amongst other problems.

As indicated in the rest of the thread this is just not beefy enough to do what it says.

I would never use that and have learned to never use off brands for something this important.

I bought some alleged 200A models of these knock off things and put them to the test for laughs. I wouldn't rate them as 80A and they tripped at different points as an added bonus.

Back