diy solar

diy solar

Need confirmation for PV panel DC breaker sizing

JSR

I'm getting 6x Hanwha 400W Q.Cell panels that will feed in to an EcoFlow Delta Pro in a 3S2P configuration. Each panel's Isc is 11.14A, so 2 parallel strings will have an Isc of 22.28A. I'm looking to put a breaker between the PV panels and the Delta Pro. If I apply 25% for NEC, and another 25% for constant current, I get 34.8A. The standard sizes closest are 32A, 40A, and 63A. Which of these are most appropriate? I'm leaning toward 40A. Is 32A to low? Is 63A too high?
Thanks for the help!

Since the breaker's only purpose will be to act as a disconnect and not for any kind of protection of the wires you can use any breaker size over the Isc of 22.28A. I'd choose either the 40A or 63A. Then if you add a 3rd parallel string at some point you won't need to change your disconnect breaker (though you will have to add a fuse to all three strings).

Also make sure the breaker's DC voltage rating is more than enough to handle the 3S Voc of your array at your coldest possible temperature.

Thanks rmaddy! I thought I needed to size it for the panels. I think I'll go 63A to have extra headroom for more panels. Thanks!

Back