I see the converter's negative input tied to the converter's positive output in that photo. Dead short.
I see that now. The only wire connected to that terminal is the yellow one. I can't tell where the burnt wire was connected. Also on the other side of the terminal there is a red/white wire connected to it. Where does the black wire go that's connected to that terminal?Both the black wires where connected to ground, the input one is the one that is melted was connected to the negative bus bar that had the bms going to it.
48V is a life threatening voltage if wired incorrectly. You might be wiser to start at 24V, with safety glasses and gloves. Make sure there is no bare metal, cover busbars and terminals in Kapton tape. Use insulated tools. Use appripriate fuses and safety switches.
I would also suggest you run in the system in a detached shed so that you don't burn down your house.
You need to keep the lines on the converter Seperate! Looks like your negatives both go to the same place.Same here. I am confused by that as well. I think something else was not wired correctly in addition to the converter. + and - tied together will give a very bad result.
I had the battery black going to the negative on the battery and the 12 volt negative going to the frame. Should I not ground the 12 volt negative on the frame?You need to keep the lines on the converter Seperate! Looks like your negatives both go to the same place.
Could this alone cause the battery cable to get so hot the battery burned? The battery cable looks like a much larger AWG than the converters cable., and the negative input cable of the converter is badly burned. That's what is confusing me.You need to keep the lines on the converter Seperate! Looks like your negatives both go to the same place.