diy solar

diy solar

need help charging small solar generator with solar panel

urbanesoap

Im purchasing a 300wh solar generator. I want to charge it off of a solar panel. Im looking for a cheapish set up. I can figure out buying a solar panel but I want to be able to keep it charged around 80 percent for storage until its needed. Ive never dealt with charge controllers before. Im looking to leave it hooked up to the solar panel without much up keep.

Is it possible to buy a charge controller and have it set to only charge the generator to a certain level and be able to to change said level when I need the generator at 100 percent? I feel like this is a silly question but I dont want to buy random things and have no idea what im doing with them.

Considering its cheap I figured it wouldnt. Its arriving tuesday. I can report back when I have it in hand.
Do you have a link to it? I would expect that you would not have direct access to the battery to charge it yourself. They usually have a 12v plug or proprietary 120v adapter that supplies power to the built in charger.
And, for solar, they usually have a solar input plug.
Knowing the specs of your generator is necessary to determine the answer to your original question as well as what solar panels (likely limited by input voltage) are compatible.

The Golabs, like most generators I know of, has its own MPPT controller. Why do you want to charge it only to 50%?

Batteries last far longer in storage if never charged fully.
I understand that but that power station will most likely outlast him by the way he'll be using it. He can just fully charge it and recharge it every 6 months or so

Back