diy solar

diy solar

Need help choosing a BMS for 96 EVE 280Ah cells

ssean

Hi Everyone,

I just received 96 EVE cells (280Ah) that I will be building into 3 banks of 2P16S. I need help choosing a BMS.

2P16S.png

I'm running 2x Deye 8k inverters in parallel. Communication between the Deye and BMS would be a plus, but not a requirement.

Can anyone make any recommendations that might have worked well for them?

I've read that the Seplos BMS can communicate with Deye, but that the Seplos software is a bit clunky.

I've also read good things about the JK BMS.

Thanks in advance, and if I can provide any additional details, please let me know.

I don't own one (currently using Overkill)but my vote would be for the JK based on Andy's many comparisons and review.
Search YT for andy jkbms. Several results.

Hi Everyone,

I just received 96 EVE cells (280Ah) that I will be building into 3 banks of 2P16S. I need help choosing a BMS.

View attachment 119822

I'm running 2x Deye 8k inverters in parallel. Communication between the Deye and BMS would be a plus, but not a requirement.

I've read that the Seplos BMS can communicate with Deye, but that the Seplos software is a bit clunky.

Thanks in advance, and if I can provide any additional details, please let me know.
I have the same questions for my 2P16S LFP 300Ah , BMS like NEEY max 24 cells but most designs have now 2P16S , but there are always 2 cells in parallel and that will make a over or under voltage

Hi Everyone,

View attachment 119822

I have the same questions for my 2P16S LFP 300Ah , BMS like NEEY max 24 cells but most designs have now 2P16S , but there are always 2 cells in parallel and that will make a over or under voltage.

I have the same questions for my 2P16S LFP 300Ah , BMS like NEEY max 24 cells but most designs have now 2P16S , but there are always 2 cells in parallel and that will make a over or under voltage.
Cells in parallel are not voltage additive, they are current additive

6 out of 10 batteries running on JK 200A 2A Bal, 16S BMS with 4.3” LCD screens. The others either haven’t pulled a “Daly” yet or the pitiful 150mA balance current is enough to keep my cells in line.

Last edited:
Very impressive! Will you please describe your hardware set up in this picture?

I'm looking at a similar set up and am interested in all of the bits you chose and why.
- Which bus bar are you using?
- TE Kilovac contactors. (new or used?)
- are you happy with the REC BMS with the slave units?
- any other details you are willing to share

Ok. Let's go.
2 sunny island 6048.
2 sunny boy 7.7
1 sunyboy 6000us.
1 rec master , 6 slaves so far. With precharge relays
Te kilovac new from digikey. ( to many counterfeits out there.)
Bussbar is solid copper. 1.25" x .375
Cables are 2/0 battery to bussbars.
3/0 buss bar to sunny islands.

Batts are 6 stes of 280 and 304 lifepo4 from caro and docan.

Happy with it all. It has been running off grid for 2 years now. Flawless. Well pump doesnt even phase it. 3hp at 1030 feet. The rec controls the sunny islands with frequency shit to stop the charging of the batts.
Solar array consists of 8 sets of 310 watt panels. 11 panels in series. Wire run in conduit 140 feet. Used ×12 thhn stranded .

Did I forget anything?
Greg

Hi Everyone,

View attachment 119822

Can anyone recommend a specific JK BMS model for my use case?

I have 96 cells arranged into 3 banks (32 cells each). See image above.

I will need 3 BMS's, one for each battery bank.

I'm looking at the HankzorBMS Store, and I'm a little confused by the different options.

Are these all pretty similar in features/functionality? I'm using Deye inverters with CANBUS, but I don't think these will communicate.

B2A20S20P
B2A20S20P-Heat-CAN

B2A24S15P
B2A24S15P-CAN

B2A24S20P

I originally configured my battery 2P16S (32 Eve 280) with a single Chargery BMS. I recently reconfigured in to 2 parallel 16s banks each with there own Daly BMS. Reasoning was greater redundancy and visibility of individual cell voltages.

B2A20S20P or B2A24S20P. The LCD is nice too. Just pick up a small rocker switch to power off when not needed. I have 10. They all work great. Although I have mine on 16 cells so the 2A bal current has no issues keeping up, redundancy and I like to see each cell.

B2A20S20P or B2A24S20P. The LCD is nice too. Just pick up a small rocker switch to power off when not needed. I have 10. They all work great. Although I have mine on 16 cells so the 2A bal current has no issues keeping up, redundancy and I like to see each cell.

B2A20S20P or B2A24S20P - Is one of these a newer model compared to the other?

Also, can anyone tell me what wire gauge is used on the JK BMS balance wires. I want to make sure I order the correct ring terminals.

Also, can anyone tell me what wire gauge is used on the JK BMS balance wires. I want to make sure I order the correct ring terminals.
Just guessing 22ga. I use the red ones 18-22 ga, with 1/4” rings. Then red butt splices or soldering with heat shrink for extending leads. I used 2ga butt splices from windy nation to connect 2x 7ga with my 2ga cables into 100A breakers.

Have four of the B2A24S20P I'm setting up right now. 1P16S*4. The balance wires are 22ga, but, because mine are set up with each battery in a single long string they aren't long enough. I bought DIN rail terminal blocks to run clipped balance wires to, and on the other side I'm extending them using 18/4 foil shield security wire I reclaimed from a job a while back.

The 24S/20S difference between the two refers to how many cells in series the BMS is wired internally to handle. AFAIK that's the only actual difference between them, and there's nothing to be gained by the 24S for a 16S setup, but I still chose to get the 24S.

For your setup, I'd probably think carefully about going to 1P16S*6. Yes, more wires, but on the other hand, much greater redundancy, and lower line/BMS losses. For the BMS, AIUI, resistance rises with increasing current, although all FET based BMSs have enough paralleled FETs to keep the loss pretty low.

The heat/no heat is a question of whether you get cold enough to need it. Where I live, it would be near 20°F below record cold for me to care, so I don't get it. If I lived where freezing temperatures were common, I'd probably get it even if I didn't plan to have need of it in my battery shed. Low temp charge cutoff works with or without the heater.

Back