diy solar

diy solar

Need help finding a transformer

Bawk80

I am currently running a 24 volt system which puts out enough power to run every light in my home and that runs anything on 120 volts. Anything 240 volts does not work. My trailer is connected to a 200 amp breaker box which my solar system is connected to. Please can someone please show me where to find a transformer which is compatible and that will suit my needs?

ahh it may not be quite as simple as it seems...
You probably want to chat with an electrician about single or double phase 240VAC unless you are really sure you know about that.

ahh it may not be quite as simple as it seems...
You probably want to chat with an electrician about single or double phase 240VAC unless you are really sure you know about that.
Ok and what would you suggest?

Ok and what would you suggest?
well, first off are you in the US or europe and do you know if you have 240VAC single or split phase power?
europe is single phase, the US is mostly split but some people that are using equipment completely off the grid may have 240 single phase due to purchasing euro-centric gear.

I would certainly add that this is not a typical "beginners corner" type of question; you would normally have purchased a split phase system to start with.

it would not be a step-up transformer for split phase.

here is a link that may get you started on your adventure...

You can use an Autotransformer to accomplish this for a lower price than a step-up transformer, but it has its limits.

The following information only applies to the unit I'm linking below. Other autotransformers may work differently and have their own code requirements. You must use circuit breakers that are suitable for backfeed operation.

First, feed your 120v inverter into your main panel on one of the legs, preferrably L1, with a suitable sized, backfed, single pole breaker for the inverter's output. This must be clearly identified as your "MAIN" breaker.

Second, you would install a 2 pole 25 amp breaker, preferably next to the main breaker. This is going to be feeding to the autotransformer.

Third, feed four wires, Green, White, Black and Red (GND, N, L1, L2) through a conduit or seal-tight tubing to the autotransformer. You must use at least a #10awg wire for this.

Fourth, Connect GND to the terminal marked with the ground symbol in the autotransformer. Connect the black wire to L1, Neutral to N, and Red to L2

Fifth, check all wiring for short circuits, as a precaution.

Finally, power on the inverter first, with no other loads in the panel powered. After the inverter is on, turn on the breaker to the autotransformer. You should hear a subtle but audible hum coming from the transformer. Using a volt-meter, verify L1-N has 120v, L2-N has 120v, and L1-L2 has 240v. If you are seeing close to these voltages, then you may proceed to turn on the breakers to your utilization equipment (loads).

With this system, you are limited to 5000va (watts) on L2, therefore I recommend planning a maximum system capability of 10,000 watts to prevent overloads of the transformer and subsequent tripping of the breaker, shutting down half of the panel (and all loads connected to L2).

Here is the transformer I am referring to: https://store.currentconnected.com/product/solaredge-seauto-5kva-autotransformer/
Please do note that I am linking to a product that I sell on my webstore and make a profit from. I am very familiar with this product, hence why I am willing to give advice for it so freely. With that being said, if you do purchase this product from us, we are more than happy to guide you through every step of the installation process, outlined above.

EDIT: I forgot I was going to link a video I made as well!

Last edited:
Will this work on my aims 2000 watt inverter?
Yes, it's actually a bit overkill, but it will work and have plenty of capability. I also edited previous post with a video to better show what's actually going on.

I was pretty impressed with your ability to explain what was going on while writing upside down. LOL

Seriously, Have you done the video yet where you installed this in your RV?

So to be certain this is compatible with my Aims 2000 watt inverter?

It will give you 240V (at 2000 watts) when driven from your 120V 2000 watt inverter.
If will also deliver 120V (at 2000 watts) to the other phase of your breaker panel, so you can have up to 2000 watts total of 120V loads distributed across both phases of the panel.

Most 240V loads will draw more power than your inverter can put out, and would cause the system to shut off.

You mentioned a water heater and a dryer in another thread. It won't be able to power those. You also said a refrigerator which was 240V - that is unusual, but can probably be powered.

When using the inverter you have to turn off any loads that would exceed 2000W.

Here are the specs on a transformer I found can it put out 200 amps for my house? IMG_20210701_191803287.jpg

That is 3 phase transformer with a 440 VAC input It also weighs 730 pounds. It would also take 48KW of inverter to use it to the max on one phase. It would also have a high idle watt usage doing nothing.

That is 3 phase transformer with a 440 VAC input It also weighs 730 pounds. It would also take 48KW of inverter to use it to the max on one phase. It would also have a high idle watt usage doing nothing.
I have a 2000 watt inverter with surge up o 6000 watts can i connect this to my inverter? so this transformer can do 200 amps ?

I have a 2000 watt inverter with surge up o 6000 watts can i connect this to my inverter? so this transformer can do 200 amps ?
I am thinking the transformer will use up half of your inverter just idling. Also, the trailer floor may not be able to support it.

I am thinking the transformer will use up half of your inverter just idling. Also, the trailer floor may not be able to support it.
how many amp does it put out? Also it will be on a concrete slab.

Back