diy solar

diy solar

Need help in Texas-what to buy?

TexasPsycho

Hoping to find some help : ). I have a 1,200 square foot double wide trailer on which I want to be completely off grid. We have a 500 foot well that needs power, and I’ll be getting a Cybertruck (whenever they’re available). Although I don’t know the exact power I’ll need, I have taken inventory of my appliances. I just need to know what to buy and where to buy it.
If I get lucky and find someone in south Texas who “really” wants to help, I’d be happy to pay a consulting fee. Thanks and God bless.

Although I don’t know the exact power I’ll need, I have taken inventory of my appliances. I just need to know what to buy and where to buy it.
Good start!!! This resource will help start sizing the system that will be needed.

The spreadsheet is very conservative in it's calculations. Consequently, the calculated size of the system will probably be larger than needed.
  • It is best if you actually measure the wattage of each device on the list. The nameplate power rating is a not-to-exceed number and is always higher than what the device will actually use.
  • The inverter size is calculated assuming *All* of the devices are turned on at once. In a larger system, this will not typically be the case so you might be able to get buy with a smaller inverter.
  • The solar panel size is calculated assuming zero production on cloudy days. In reality, there will be some production.
I think one of the best things about doing the assessment is that it gives you a much better understanding of the energy uses. A lot of times people are surprised what the big energy hogs turn out to be.

I can't remember where I found this on the net, but I love this design. I think it is 36x250w panels (9kw) and probably good for 40-50kwh each day with good sun, and then you can get your vehicles out of the Texas sun...

97818828_2953537511405118_733415405808254976_o.jpg

I can't remember where I found this on the net, but I love this design. I think it is 36x250w panels (9kw) and probably good for 40-50kwh each day with good sun, and then you can get your vehicles out of the Texas sun...

View attachment 70599
Very cool. That would be ideal. Just need to figure out how much power I need.

Hoping to find some help : ). I have a 1,200 square foot double wide trailer on which I want to be completely off grid. We have a 500 foot well that needs power, and I’ll be getting a Cybertruck (whenever they’re available). Although I don’t know the exact power I’ll need, I have taken inventory of my appliances. I just need to know what to buy and where to buy it.
If I get lucky and find someone in south Texas who “really” wants to help, I’d be happy to pay a consulting fee. Thanks and God bless.
Bumping thread. Anyone willing to be a paid consultant on my job?

This group is helpful on questions but I’ve not seen a lot of consultants. And being from Texas, and the username, may not be helping (chuckle). What part of Texas?

Can we call you "TP" or do you have one of those lead propelling devices? Not everyone gets my sense of humor.

I think you are in the free consulting department.

That's a nice tractor umbrella in post 5, looks like they have trees in Elgin. How much WIND do you get TexasPsycho? Wide open spaces can send those panels flying much easier than a low to the ground mounting method.

Bumping thread. Anyone willing to be a paid consultant on my job?

It depends, do you have a yacht and fishing poles available? :ROFLMAO:

This group is helpful on questions but I’ve not seen a lot of consultants. And being from Texas, and the username, may not be helping (chuckle). What part of Texas?
? I tried to change it and failed. Will try again. The ranch is about 90 miles north of San Antonio. Are you local?

Can we call you "TP" or do you have one of those lead propelling devices? Not everyone gets my sense of humor.

I think you are in the free consulting department.

That's a nice tractor umbrella in post 5, looks like they have trees in Elgin. How much WIND do you get TexasPsycho? Wide open spaces can send those panels flying much easier than a low to the ground mounting method.

It depends, do you have a yacht and fishing poles available? :ROFLMAO:
You can call me anything you want, friend. We get a lot of wind, as it’s in hill country with minimal tree cover. I have enough room to do the very low mounting. No yacht yet, but any help is appreciated.

Back