diy solar

diy solar

Need help MPP Solar not working

Solarista

Hello everyone, thanks for accepting me to the forum, I have been a fan of Will Prowse DIY Solar Power on youtube. And just a year ago, I setup a diy 1kw solar at home using 2.4kw 24v PIP-2424MSE1 MPP inverter bought at ebay from Taiwan. The system were working ok with a 2 12v 100ah gel type battery in series and 4 340w panel with about 80v VOC. Just a month ago, we had to relocate the inverter and battery because of ongoing renovation in our home. I tought everything is still ok since the new setup is powering my loads which are mainly lights and sometimes induction cooker. Until i notice just a few weeks ago that the solar battery charging and inverting for load is not working anymore.(see mpp sceeen display below). Only the utility charging and bypass is working. Sorry the picture was taken just now at night that is why PV voltage is 0V. But, there is actually about 77v - 80v being read on the PV during the day and also by measuring actual voltage using DMM at the terminal end of the PV wires. I already checked the MPP menu settings but could not see any fault. Is there anyone that enocuntered this before? Is my inverte busted already? Desperate for help. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_20210919_213241.jpg
    IMG_20210919_213241.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 27
Just want to also add that the solar panel icon is diplayed on screen during the day, which means it is being detected. The picture does not show it and will take a picture of it tomorrow at day time.

Most likely a faulty wiring connection. I'd do a cold reboot. Physically disconnect the wiring from the grid, the panels, and the batteries, in that order. Use the down time to clean/brighten each and every electrical connection. After letting it sit without power for a minute or so while still disconnected, try to press the "on" switch. Nothing should happen. That's to drain the last remaining µA from any capacitors sitting there.

Once you are sure the unit is stone-cold dead, reconnect the battery only, and boot up the unit on battery power only. Once the unit is booted up and displaying battery voltage, then connect the solar input wires. Check with a voltmeter at the connection terminals of the unit that it has volts from the panels. It should be higher than your system voltage. Confirm that the unit is now charging the batteries. Only after the solar portion of the reconnection is completed and you are satisfied, then re-connect the grid wiring.

If at any stage of this process you encounter a failure, then additional troubleshooting will be needed.

Most likely a faulty wiring connection. I'd do a cold reboot. Physically disconnect the wiring from the grid, the panels, and the batteries, in that order. Use the down time to clean/brighten each and every electrical connection. After letting it sit without power for a minute or so while still disconnected, try to press the "on" switch. Nothing should happen. That's to drain the last remaining µA from any capacitors sitting there.

Once you are sure the unit is stone-cold dead, reconnect the battery only, and boot up the unit on battery power only. Once the unit is booted up and displaying battery voltage, then connect the solar input wires. Check with a voltmeter at the connection terminals of the unit that it has volts from the panels. It should be higher than your system voltage. Confirm that the unit is now charging the batteries. Only after the solar portion of the reconnection is completed and you are satisfied, then re-connect the grid wiring.

If at any stage of this process you encounter a failure, then additional troubleshooting will be needed.
Thanks so much, will try it this morning

Thanks so much, will try it this morning
@MichaelK, already tried cold reboot as suggested, still same results, attach is a picture taken of MPP in day time but cloudy sky, PV input only about 74V. But on bright sunny day its about 77v.

The other pic shows status when AC input is disconnected,. Still, only solar panel displayed but not being used. Anyway, my setting on source priority is set to SOLAR.

Attachments

• IMG_20210920_083624.jpg
    IMG_20210920_083624.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_20210920_084919.jpg
    IMG_20210920_084919.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
So you set the Solar as priority for Charging and for the Output Source?
Can you show us your settings?

Interesting.

What are your settings for Programs 12 and 13??

For grins maybe change Program 01 to SbU; what happens?

How are your panels configured? Series, parallel, 2S2P, 1S4P, etc.? What is VOC of panels? I think the PIP-2424MSE1 is only 105 VOC max compared to the 145 VOC of the newer models.

OP stated this as 80 volts in post #1.
I did see that. I was just double checking the math to rule out a VOC issue. OP says 80V panel config and 77-80V coming in. I see many 340W panels with a 45-47 VOC which would be 90-94 total in 2S2P config and this unit is 105VOC max.

Below are setting for12 and13. Aleeady tried SBU, bur still same result solar is not charging battery and sourcing load. IMG_20210920_141245.jpg
IMG_20210920_141238.jpg

How are your panels configured? Series, parallel, 2S2P, 1S4P, etc.? What is VOC of panels? I think the PIP-2424MSE1 is only 105 VOC max compared to the 145 VOC of the newer models.
Its 2S2P panel config. VOC of panel is 41v on the spec sheet.

Are the numbers 25.5V and 24.0V in the pic your charging parameters? If yes, I think those values are too low for a gel battery. Check with the manufacturer first, but I would think the proper charging voltage would be 28.8V, with 27.6V floating?

They might have been set higher initially, but dropped back down to defaults after disconnection, and rebooting. The 22.8V voltage in post #7? Is that the resting battery voltage? If yes, those batteries appear totally dead.

I would recommend disconnecting the batteries immediately, and get them charging as quick as you can by any other method away from the MPP. Maybe connect each 12V battery separately to an automotive charger at 12V you plug into the grid. How long do you think the batteries have been discharged? They potentially could already have been ruined, but you won't know till they get a real charge. Do that asap!

Last edited:
Some questions ... not sure if any will help. Seems to be a process of elimination at this point.

Did you make any MPP config changes when you relocated the inverter?
Did the move increase wire runs (battery, solar) by a large amount?
Did you check polarity on solar connections after move?
Did you try hooking up just 1 solar panel to the MPP unit?

Back