diy solar

diy solar

Need help - powering a submersible pump directly from the charge controller

Almost every ranch in the west either has switched, or is in the process of switching their windmills to solar power. I've never seen a single battery on one, and CCs are rare. Most hook panels directly to Grundfos pumps with no issues. The water starts moving when the sun comes up, pumping into storage tanks that gravity feed to remote drinkers, often miles away.

Almost every ranch in the west either has switched, or is in the process of switching their windmills to solar power. I've never seen a single battery on one, and CCs are rare. Most hook panels directly to Grundfos pumps with no issues. The water starts moving when the sun comes up, pumping into storage tanks that gravity feed to remote drinkers, often miles away.
is there a simple dc powered flow control meter?, cos thats the major limitation to this, most flow control devices i have seen for submersible pumps are for AC

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SHYLIYU-50...mersible-Screw-Deep-Well-Pump-US/193156874090 this unit appears decent. only 250w power draw

What I wanted to be able to do was pump water when I had "excess" capacity. Meaning my batteries are all charged up and my panels are otherwise not doing a lot. I have a 24V pump from PumpSuperMarket (the first one I bought from them quit and they are still "reviewing" my warranty claim, more on that in another post) and a set of 6 12V batteries setup in three banks of two each for 24V). I have a rasberry Pi talking to the solar charge controller and once the batteries get to 100%, it flips the well pump on. Then once the batteries fall to 75%, it stops the pump. I am not exactly happy with the logic, but since I monitor all sorts of metrics, it's easy to change around. I program the logic in NodeRed so it's a pretty simple (drag and drop) matter of programming

I'd be happy to share if your interested.

Attachments

• 20210606_081443.jpg
    20210606_081443.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 2
Back