diy solar

diy solar

Need Help Scaling, Possible to Mix Chemistry in this way?

oh_thatballoffire

Hello,

I have searched far and wide and not found a reliable answer to this rare situation.with my own google-fu, so I humbly request some assistance.

I have lived with this system for about 15 months (came with home), and had no prior solar experience. I know how to measure stuff, top off, equalize, but through research, not knowledge or training. I have a basic understanding of electricity, if that. I am comfortable with the mechanics of wiring, including inside panels, as long as I am using vetted instructions and diagram/plan.

This system currently runs everything in a low use household. Daily Use includes water system well pump and pressure tank, lights, rechargers for phone/laptop and tools, occasional complete home theater and (at different times) Gaming PC use. No refrigerator (propane), or other major appliances, at present.

I would like to add capacity to my system via new LiFePO4 batteries @ 24v, but retain the existing storage capacity of the FLA bank until its EOL, then add more LiFePO4 or whatever new chemistry in 3-5 yrs.

Long-Term Goals
1. Convert to system 24V
2. Convert to better storage (LiFePO4 or better)
3. Increase energy collection and storage size to allow consumption of minimum 5kWh at 120v per day, or 400 Ah, year round. (I am looking at wind and micro-hydro, as well.)
4. Maintain existing 12v panel and systems.
5. Revel in copius 'free' electricity.

My only constraint is money. I have room for additional solar panels, and will locate future panels in better locations than present (am cutting trees down). I am also planning on an eventual DIY wind generator, using one of said trees as a mast.

I am planning to work in phases. The most recent phase just completed 21JAN26, added sub-array of 960w pv and 80A controller.

My next phase is to add more storage. I am considering 300Ah or 400Ah this phase @ 24v. This would also

Is it possible and safe to do the following?

1. In my existing setup, insert a 24v LiFePO4 battery/bank "upstream" from the FLA bank.
2. Connect LiFePO4 bank to the FLA bank via DC/DC Converter (10 or 20 amp), with a breaker between the LiFePO4 and Converter (to manually control recharging of FLA, initially)
3. Continue using the Xantrax inverter and DC Panel to be downstream from the FLA bank.
4. Eventually add a 24v inverter to LiFePO4.

If no, is there any way to do this?
If yes, is there a better/cheaper way to accomplish the same goal of maintaining productivity from my existing FLA until EOL.

I am happy to provide any additional info, or a try to create a diagram of the system.

TIA

Welcome to the Forum !

Well I could get into a pile of explanation here but that would be a repetition yet again. I have a similar sort of setup you are targetting.
I have 24V/956AH of Rolls S-550 and 910AH of LFP in two separate banks .....
Have a good look through my "About my System" page and other links in my signature, MANY of your questions will be answered right there.
We can then take it from there... How's that sound ?

Take your time reading through all of it, feel free to ask questions of course once you've had some time to digest it all. It will be a bit of Info Overload as there is a LOT to absorb. And just to make things even screwier terminology between Lead Batteries & LFP is not identical. With Lead we talk about C/20 Rates & DOD which do not apply to LFP where C-Rates and SOC rule... so there is some twists that do confuse. It's ok, takes time to get a handle on all of it and to understand the DC World in comparison to the AC world.

Hope it Helps,
Steve

PS: It is my understanding that if viewing this site via Cell Phone that Signatures may not appear depending on device being used. In some instances turning the phone sideways can show the signatures. I never browse with a phone so I dunno.

One thought- it would probably be better to go to 48v on the Lithium’s from an engineering point of view. Research the 48v equipment you need and compare with the 24v.

The 48v battery would be better - using the 280ah cells - it would only be one cell 16s- Simple! Going to 24v you would have a 2p8s for the same size of battery.

I think you could initially set up the lithium bank to just charge the lead bank and keep it full. One item to watch is the efficiency of the converter equipment

Thank you both.

Rocket, that is essentially my theory. The pv feeds LFP feeds FLA.

I would be happy to consider the 48, but I am concerned about veering to far out of the "Beginner DIY" lane, as I hear 24 volts will wake you up, but 48'll kill you... I will read more about it. ;)

Up to 48V is not bad. Over 48V and a whole pile of other things come into play.
24V system can deliver 120/240 as can 48V.
12V is good up to 2000W max.
24V is good up to 4000/5000W (pending on inverter) max
48V is good up to 8000/9000W " " "
* excluding surge capacities.

Back