diy solar

diy solar

Need help wiring a generator exercise timer with an LV6548

bblackstock

I am in the process of designing a system around the all-in-one LV6548 inverter. This inverter has an ability to start my generator through a 2-wire dry-contact when voltage reaches certain threshold. But in addition to that, I also need a way to run my generator on an exercise schedule through a separate timer due to the fact that the LV6548 does not support a concept of a regular schedule to run generator. I purchased a timer (FAVOLCANO see here) and I drew up a wiring diagram with my assumptions on how to wire this. Can anyone validate if this would work? Will the inverter be able to turn on generator (when voltage is low), and will the timer be able to turn on generator when given programed time is reached, through the same 2-wire start connected to generator?

FYI, I added the relay because I have about a 50' run from the inverter to the generator.

1650992486449.png

Last edited:
you generator supports remote shutdown? (a lot will have remote start, few have remote shutdown) If it does you'll likely need to include that in your control group. There is also usually some sort of feedback to the generator controller to indicate that its actually started. for "dumb" remote starts (like this) found on boats or RV's the person standing there turning the "key" to close the contacts and fire the starter uses the sound of the generator as the feedback to stop turning the key. (aka they stop when the engine starts) It's never been explained to me how you work that feedback into these dumb "auto start" 2 wire start circuits. (without a much smarter control unit)

you generator supports remote shutdown? (a lot will have remote start, few have remote shutdown) If it does you'll likely need to include that in your control group. There is also usually some sort of feedback to the generator controller to indicate that its actually started. for "dumb" remote starts (like this) found on boats or RV's the person standing there turning the "key" to close the contacts and fire the starter uses the sound of the generator as the feedback to stop turning the key. (aka they stop when the engine starts) It's never been explained to me how you work that feedback into these dumb "auto start" 2 wire start circuits. (without a much smarter control unit)
As I understand it, the way the process works is when the Dry-Contact closes (completes the circuit), you have a 12 volt signal being sent to the Generator controller (via the 2-wires, I have a Dynagen gsc300 controller) which triggers the auto-start. When the Dry-Contact opens (breaks the circuit) for example when voltage has reached its programmed value, the 12 volt signal is no longer going to the generator and this signals the generator to shutdown. So to me the dry-contact is dumb agree, but the generator controller has sensors (speed sensor for example) to know the status of the engine etc. I updated my diagram to include the generator controller as that was a key piece I should have had from the beginning.

Last edited:
Back