diy solar

diy solar

Need help with a new install

shobe7

I just installed 2 mpp pip 2424 msd running in parallel, I followed the installation instructions to the letter. I ran 2 8 awg wires from my breaker panel to the input side of the units each with a 40 amp breaker, the output from both units is tied together with 8 awg wire to a 40 amp disconnect then to a transfer switch than to my breaker panel. My issue is I show 120 volts on the input side on the display with the breaker to the input side off. I used a multimeter and checked at the input breaker it to shows 120 volts at the outlet of the breaker. I need your help

Just to be sure of what you have--your units are white?
Are they 2424LV-MSD?

You understand that these units do NOT work with 220-240v load nor can they be used in a “split phase” application?
You understand that this is a 2.4kw/24vdc off-grid solar hybrid inverter?
Do you have your 2 units connected to (shared) 24 V batteries with 200Ah capacity?
Your neutral wires of each unit are connected together?

Do you have the Parallel (14-pin) communication cable, current sharing (2-pin) cable, and parallel boards installed?

Have you followed Section 8. Commissioning "Parallel in single phase" in the manual?

Sorry for all the questions, just trying to insure we are on the same page.

" My issue is I show 120 volts on the input side on the display with the breaker to the input side off " So this little AC (upper left) is lit:
1601301093615.png

Yes to question 1 the units are lv2424msd
Yes I understand these units are single phase 120 volt
Yes they are connected to a single battery bank greater then 200ah 24 volt

Can you please clarify neutral wires connected together. Is that input or output

Yes both 2 pin and 14 pin communication are connected

Yes followed section 8 commissioning

I just installed 2 mpp pip 2424 msd running in parallel, I followed the installation instructions to the letter. I ran 2 8 awg wires from my breaker panel to the input side of the units each with a 40 amp breaker, the output from both units is tied together with 8 awg wire to a 40 amp disconnect then to a transfer switch than to my breaker panel. My issue is I show 120 volts on the input side on the display with the breaker to the input side off. I used a multimeter and checked at the input breaker it to shows 120 volts at the outlet of the breaker. I need your help
Can you post pictures of how it is all connected?

I am at work right now will try to post pictures latter, i can make crude drawing if that helps

Question with the neural wires , I have the neural wires tied together on the output, but the input to each unit has its own dedicated wires from the breaker panel to each unit, protected by 2 40 amp breakers, each wire is wired neutral to neutral bar , ground to ground bar and hot to breaker outlet, could this be the problem

1601318132370.pngAre these (green) chassis/output grounds are connected together and earthed/grounded?

They are connected together and grounded at the sub panel which is grounded to its own grounding rod

Is this issue " 120 volts on the input side on the display with the breaker to the input side off" an operational problem?
Does the gizmo work?

I think that voltage on the input is originating in the inverter. The AC input is used to charge batteries as necessary/programmed.

Ok thanks, working nights will try tomorrow to see if one of settings could be the issue

They are connected together and grounded at the sub panel which is grounded to its own grounding rod
Question with the neural wires , I have the neural wires tied together on the output, but the input to each unit has its own dedicated wires from the breaker panel to each unit, protected by 2 40 amp breakers, each wire is wired neutral to neutral bar , ground to ground bar and hot to breaker outlet, could this be the problem
I’m really going to need pictures of what you actually have connected to help figure out the problem.

That said, incoming and outgoing neutrals should not be together... the load neutral needs to ONLY be connected to the output neutral post. The incoming neutral needs to be THE ONLY wire on the neutral bus.

and a sub panel needs grounds separate from neutral bars, NOT CONNECTED TOGETHER anywhere except for the main panel.

I’m really going to need pictures of what you actually have connected to help figure out the problem.

That said, incoming and outgoing neutrals should not be together... the load neutral needs to ONLY be connected to the output neutral post. The incoming neutral needs to be THE ONLY wire on the neutral bus.

and a sub panel needs grounds separate from neutral bars, NOT CONNECTED TOGETHER anywhere except for the main panel.

Out going and incoming neutrals are separate, each unit has its own incoming circuit , 8 awg wire from the breaker panel to each unit protected by a 40 amp breaker.

Well, you can keep describing what you think you have setup, and we can keep guessing what is wrong.

The outgoing wires are tied together to a single 40 amp breaker, then to a reliance manual transfer switch, then to the sub panel

Well, you can keep describing what you think you have setup, and we can keep guessing what is wrong.
Ok I see your point , pictures, pictures please, I will take pictures, at work right now had to do a 12 hour shift, sorry for all the words and very little info

Is this issue " 120 volts on the input side on the display with the breaker to the input side off" an operational problem?
Does the gizmo work?

I think that voltage on the input is originating in the inverter. The AC input is used to charge batteries as necessary/programmed.
Finally figured out what the issue was, it turned out be a bad main board, replaced board problem solved.
I want to thank you for your input and advice

Back