diy solar

diy solar

Need help with my system and wiring both dc and ac

Azguy82

Hello,

First let me start by saying I am glad there is a discussion forum for solar and all this info.

Let me get into it,
I have a 3 array solar system on my RV for a total of 2000 watts, 800/800/400. Each array has a victron charger 100/50. I started with 1600 (800 and 800) and added the third. which is why I dont have 2, with a larger amp charger. I wish I had just gone with like a 150/70 or something and only had 2 strings. These panels are 200w in series parallel for 24v.

Those come down to a 600amp hour battle born bank. 12v - I wish I had gone 24v but the inverter I bought only came in 12v at the time. Which is a magnum 12v 3000w rv inverter with built in switch for charging which I have never used because I have never used shore or a gennie. Nice to have the option but never actually used it. I dont even own a generator.

I had help installing it and he was ok but not great and have had to redo most of the wiring myself with larger wires.

Here is the real question, on the DC side I need help with my 3 charger to busbar set up and if Im doing it right. I dont have an inline kill switch which I know I need and will get but how many and where??? If you see anything else that needs attention please feel free to point it out.

Secondly... the AC side... the installer didnt have the proper romex and used 3 wires instead of 2. From inverter and back for charging.
Which romex should I get I have a 50amp trailer. Do I need 10/2 or 10/3? Also how are you running your AC wires from the front to back? currently its attached with zip ties to the underside but I want to run it in some pvc or conduit to protect it when I redo it. I have an enclosed underbelly and can only get it in there if I cut my way in. Can you show me or give me some suggestions as to how you ran your 110.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Since you have three solar charge controllers, I'm going to assume you do not have a combiner box.

There should be a circuit breaker between each array and its solar charge controller. Amp rating is the array's amps x 1.25, round up to the next available circuit breaker size. Double pole breakers are recommended here.

There should also be a circuit breaker between each solar charge controller and the common bus bars. Amp rating of the circuit breaker is the output amp rating of the solar charge controller x 1.25, round up to the next available circuit breaker size. Bussman circuit breakers are recommended here.

I'm not much help on the AC side. Running three wires instead of Romex isn't wrong, as long as the gauge supports the amps. But I would want the wires protected.

Back