diy solar

diy solar

Need help with off grid EV charging system design

I happened to have one of those Emporia chargers and it works exactly as advertised. It will change charging current as solar and/or household demand changes.
I just purchased The Emporia EV Chargeer and have not figured out the settings to get mine to perform like yours. i have a support ticket going with Emporia and am hopeful that it is something simple that I have overlooked. I will start a new thread when I have some results to report.
UPDATE: I turns out is was something simple lol ike putting the charger in PAUSE to get it to charge from Solar.

Last edited:
CA leads the nation in expensive electricity. With all the rate increases and TOU replacing the older Tier rate system, I would say it is no longer universally true that off grid solar is much more expensive.

What are you lot paying for electricity that side of the pond ?

£0.385 ( $0.46) per KW here in the UK

What are you lot paying for electricity that side of the pond ?
In California on an EV rate I pay $0.55/kWh at peak in summer and $0.25 off peak when I charge my EVs overnight. In winter it drops to $0.44/kWh during peak times. Peak times are 4PM to 9PM

In California on an EV rate I pay $0.55/kWh at peak in summer and $0.25 off peak when I charge my EVs overnight. In winter it drops to $0.44/kWh during peak times. Peak times are 4PM to 9PM

we use to have what we call 'economy 7' it's similar, cheaper electric over night. But the companies don't offer it much anymore, now they just make us pay a fortune all day AND all night

In Texas it's around $0.13/kWh at the moment but can vary as we have an open market so anything goes.

I'm on a special plan where I pay $0.29/kWh from 7AM to 9PM and pay nothing from 9PM to 7AM. They also buy my excess solar at $0.03/kWh. With my setup, solar and battery I pay nothing and actually get money back from my provider. I used a total of 3 kWh last month during the 7AM-9PM window from the grid, everything else came from solar or battery.

In Texas it's around $0.13/kWh at the moment but can vary as we have an open market so anything goes.

I'm on a special plan where I pay $0.29/kWh from 7AM to 9PM and pay nothing from 9PM to 7AM. They also buy my excess solar at $0.03/kWh. With my setup, solar and battery I pay nothing and actually get money back from my provider. I used a total of 3 kWh last month during the 7AM-9PM window from the grid, everything else came from solar or battery.
Interesting plan.

I am in N texas with 11kw grid tie plus 12kw off grid with 30kwh batts
last 2 days were raining/cloudy and was on the grid most of the time,. that would kill at .29/kwh

my plan now is as long as I sell them as much power as I buy at night I only pay .05 kwh for distribution costs

how much battery do you have ?

to use your plan I might need another 10,000 bucks of batts

Very cool thread as I'm working towards this goal. I'm going with 4 eg 6500 to start and see how well that performs. I only plan charge during the day. I have plenty of solar for 30amps plus and stay positive but of course short days in the winter plus clouds is difficult. I have been looking into chargers that are adjustable so I can change the amps based on the pv production for the day.

I have been looking into chargers that are adjustable so I can change the amps based on the pv production for the day.
I have been charging EVs for ten years. I have had EVSEs that can change the Amps via a phone App. My two Teslas also allow me to change the charging Amps during the day and that is what I have been doing in order to modulate the charging rate. My goal is to charge as much as i can from solar because of my rate plan. Last year I installed an Emporia energy monitor and am pleased with the granularity it gives me on my usage.. I recently also installed the Emporia EV Charger which can modulate the EV charging rate based on my solar production. They call it a EV Charger but it just an EVSE, but it changes the current that the onboard charger draws by following the output of the solar. Now I do not have to worry if a cloud passes by, because the EV Charger can modulate charging rate based on solar production.

Last edited:
I have been charging EVs for ten years. I have had EVSEs that can change the Amps via a phone App. My two Teslas also allow me to change the charging Amps during the day and that is what I have been doing in order to modulate the charging rate. My goal is to charge as much as i can from solar because my of my rate plan. Last year I installed an Emporia energy monitor and am pleased with the granularity it gives me on my usage.. I recently also installed the Emporia EV Charger which can modulate the EV charging rate based on my solar production. They call it a EV Charger but it just an EVSE, but it follows the output of the solar by changing the current that the onboard charger draws. Now I do not have to worry if a cloud passes by because the EV Charger can modulate charging rate based on solar production.
I will look into this as it would make life much easier.

6 amps is the minimum by the standard, so you're not going to find an EVSE lower than 6 amps.

The Emporia EVSE is one option.

Another (more DIY) option with local control from 6-40/48 (or even 80 amps of you source the hardware) is OpenEVSE.
I've got mine set up to charge from excess solar.

6 amps is the minimum by the standard, so you're not going to find an EVSE lower than 6 amps.

Another (more DIY) option with local control from 6-40/48 (or even 80 amps of you source the hardware) is OpenEVSE.
OpenEVSE looks very interesting, they must be selling well with 4 week lead time.

I am a big fan of OpenEVSE and considered one off and on over the years. After I purchased the Emporia energy monitor their EVSE was the path of least resistance for me. It is the concept of charging from solar that is important, not which product helps you get there. It is nice to have choices.

Interesting plan.

I am in N texas with 11kw grid tie plus 12kw off grid with 30kwh batts
last 2 days were raining/cloudy and was on the grid most of the time,. that would kill at .29/kwh

my plan now is as long as I sell them as much power as I buy at night I only pay .05 kwh for distribution costs

how much battery do you have ?

to use your plan I might need another 10,000 bucks of batts
So my worst production day to date was 11/24. I generated a mere 2.7 kWh all day which is pretty bad when my high in October was over 90 kWh for a single day.

I have used 80 kWh of electricity this day and I still managed to stay on battery all day long with a total battery discharge of 28.4kWh.

I am running 5 oil filled space heaters at night in the bedrooms and various places and I charge my EV at night as well. I used 18 kWh of electricity to the space heaters on 11/24 and 18 kWh for the EV charger so my regular household power usage is only 44 kWh which comes out roughly 1.8kW constant usage which would mean I'd use, on average 25.6 kWh during the 7AM to 9PM window which is pretty close to the 28.4kWh I actually used.

Now the fact that this was Thanksgiving there was a lot of cooking and laundry running that day 2.5 kWh of oven use, 1.2 kWh of cooktop, 5 kWh of dryer, and even with all this I only used 0.5 kWh of grid power right before 5PM as I don't let by battery drop below 50% before 5PM and it ran down to 50% by 4:45 so I was on grid power for 15 minutes before I let it use battery again which lasted until 9PM as it dropped from 50% to 25% in those 4 heavy use hours of the evening. So the worst day so far cost me $0.15 to get through.

The only saving grace is that the temperature is mild so I ran no heat for the day at all, I have gas so I'd still use no electricity but the space heaters at night save me a TON of money on gas.

On my October bill I got a -$22 bill as I exported a ton of electricity during the day and used none, but I did use over 1,400 kWh during the night hours which were absolutely free. November won't be as good as with the limited sun hours we've been having I have not exported nowhere near as much as I did in October, I only did about half of October's export but thanks to the free nights I still managed to pay nothing for electricity.

My battery is 38 kWh and I never let it drop below 25% unless it's an emergency power outage situation.

So my worst production day to date was 11/24. I generated a mere 2.7 kWh all day which is pretty bad when my high in October was over 90 kWh for a single day.

I have used 80 kWh of electricity this day and I still managed to stay on battery all day long with a total battery discharge of 28.4kWh.

I am running 5 oil filled space heaters at night in the bedrooms and various places and I charge my EV at night as well. I used 18 kWh of electricity to the space heaters on 11/24 and 18 kWh for the EV charger so my regular household power usage is only 44 kWh which comes out roughly 1.8kW constant usage which would mean I'd use, on average 25.6 kWh during the 7AM to 9PM window which is pretty close to the 28.4kWh I actually used.

Now the fact that this was Thanksgiving there was a lot of cooking and laundry running that day 2.5 kWh of oven use, 1.2 kWh of cooktop, 5 kWh of dryer, and even with all this I only used 0.5 kWh of grid power right before 5PM as I don't let by battery drop below 50% before 5PM and it ran down to 50% by 4:45 so I was on grid power for 15 minutes before I let it use battery again which lasted until 9PM as it dropped from 50% to 25% in those 4 heavy use hours of the evening. So the worst day so far cost me $0.15 to get through.

The only saving grace is that the temperature is mild so I ran no heat for the day at all, I have gas so I'd still use no electricity but the space heaters at night save me a TON of money on gas.

On my October bill I got a -$22 bill as I exported a ton of electricity during the day and used none, but I did use over 1,400 kWh during the night hours which were absolutely free. November won't be as good as with the limited sun hours we've been having I have not exported nowhere near as much as I did in October, I only did about half of October's export but thanks to the free nights I still managed to pay nothing for electricity.

My battery is 38 kWh and I never let it drop below 25% unless it's an emergency power outage situation.
wow 1400 kwh at night free, you really took them to the cleaners, congrats
my OCT bill was also $22, but Nov was bad, cold, cloudy so expect $65

I am in California with high rates, two EVs and a 42kWh battery pack and 9kW of solar. I will try to answer your question. I looked at the cost of my solar system at $2.50 per Watt, assumed a 20 year life and a total production in kWhs over that life and arrived at a cost of solar production of $0.08 per kWh.
My lowest rate in California is $0.23 per kWh and peaks at $0.53 per kWh. Therefore any time I can charge my EVs from solar it is a lot less expensive.
Adding batteries and a hybrid inverter cost $10.000 and I assumed a life of ten years. That is a daily cost of $2.74 per day and If I use 14 kWh per day of that pack that is a cost of $0.20 per kWh of stored energy. Since the source of that energy is the $0.08 per kWh solar, my total cost per kWh of using battery storage is $0.28 per kWh. Since I can use grid power at less than that rate it makes sense to use the grid to charge my EVs from the grid late at night when grid power is less expensive, if I did not get enough from solar during the day. That was when I did the math and invested in a battery storage system.

Forgive me for the noob question because I'm naive, but I'm also based in NorCa and know about the terrible PG&E rates. You're assuming that the battery is used every night. But what if the car is charged mainly on weekdays with the solar panels directly to the car without a battery? That way the battery would only be used sparingly during a few weeknights. Wouldn't that factor heavily into the ammortization cost and make it cheaper than getting energy from the grid? Or am I missing something here?

Forgive me for the noob question because I'm naive, but I'm also based in NorCa and know about the terrible PG&E rates. You're assuming that the battery is used every night. But what if the car is charged mainly on weekdays with the solar panels directly to the car without a battery? That way the battery would only be used sparingly during a few weeknights. Wouldn't that factor heavily into the ammortization cost and make it cheaper than getting energy from the grid? Or am I missing something here?
Usually, the battery is scaled to the size of the system. In general, a large system would have a large battery. For a couple of reasons. One, the batteries act as a shock absorber, smoothing out the peaks and valley's of solar production. They also need to be of a certain size to minimize the effects of ripple current. So, the battery is needed even in daytime only charging. Most off-grid, or hybrid inverters cann't even function without a battery.

Every person's situation is different. In Texas where we have no net metering and utility only buys back solar at $0.03/kWh a battery makes far more sense than in California where you have Net Metering and you can use the grid as your battery essentially.

Battery also provides security for blackouts which you have to put the price on as to what it worth to you. For me, someone who works from home and relies on power it is beneficial to have the security of electricity, no matter what.

I have done pretty extensive modeling of my use and with my rates and my setup batteries have just as solid of an ROI as PV panels do. With my setup I can achieve 95% self consumption and 80% of energy usage offset which is critical in a place where Net Metering does not exist.

Every person's situation is different. In Texas where we have no net metering and utility only buys back solar at $0.03/kWh a battery makes far more sense than in California where you have Net Metering and you can use the grid as your battery essentially.

Battery also provides security for blackouts which you have to put the price on as to what it worth to you. For me, someone who works from home and relies on power it is beneficial to have the security of electricity, no matter what.

I have done pretty extensive modeling of my use and with my rates and my setup batteries have just as solid of an ROI as PV panels do. With my setup I can achieve 95% self consumption and 80% of energy usage offset which is critical in a place where Net Metering does not exist.
Texas has no government mandated net metering, but in some areas with some providers, it is available.
I have net metering in NE Texas. I get full credit for what I sent them for the generating charges about 13.5 cents but do have to pay the distribution charge for what I use from the grid 5.5 cents

Back