diy solar

diy solar

need help with off grid inverter

bowlsonbowls

Hello, thanks for taking the time to read my post, any and all feedback would be great.

Im looking for an ideal inverter around 3000W 24V. The project will be powered by the solar panels the large majority of the time; with both grid and battery options available. This means no grid feedback; but instead simply having the grid as a power option. Ill be spending the rest of my day searching but i figured Id see if anybody here had any recommendations.

Once again, thank you and best of luck in your endeavors.

Are you looking for stand alone inverters? Do you need 120 volt, split-phase 120-240 volt, something else?
No grid tie... you just need a transfer switch and a sub panel to power needed items.
Is this just emergency use? What would be the run time?

Are you looking for stand alone inverters? Do you need 120 volt, split-phase 120-240 volt, something else?
No grid tie... you just need a transfer switch and a sub panel to power needed items.
Is this just emergency use? What would be the run time?
stand alone meaning what exactly?

As for the second question, im again not super sure on what that means. The devices being ran from the system are 110/220V or 120V. ive sort of just been taking the 120V just because, but this is something ive needed clarity on.

The devices should be operating for about 7 hours per day. The devices should mostly be powered by the solar panels alone with battery and grid options as backup emergency use options.

Does that maybe make my needs more well known?

By price point, I've been on this search for a while at 12v.... if you want to hardwire look into this. >>>
Difference between UL458 & UL 1741 For Power Inverters
According to the National Electrical Code, batteryless (on grid) or battery-based (off grid / hybrid) power inverter used in residential renewable energy systems must be listed to UL1741.
While UL458 is the safety standard for Power Converters/Inverters and Power Converter/ Inverter Systems for Land Vehicles and Marine Crafts.
UL458 listed Inverters are designed for mobile use—for example, on boats and RVs, which are sometimes off-grid without permanent grounding and sometimes hooked up to shore power/power grid for battery charging and to supply supplemental energy for AC loads. The UL 458 inverter is incapable of selling energy to utility.
The two UL standards differ mainly in two things. One is how they handle the grounding in AC system, the other is whether the battery charger is tested or not.
UL1741-listed inverters must allow for the neutral-to-ground bond to only occur at the main AC service panel. UL458-listed inverters have internal automatic neutral-to-ground switching relay. This relay allows for neutral to ground bonding to occur when the inverter is in off-grid DC to AC mode, it also separates neutral from ground at the utility power service if it is connected to a utility hookup. It does so because in mobile power systems, neutral is bonded with ground.
As for battery charger testing, UL458 doesn’t test the battery charger part of the inverter even some models are built with battery charger.
UL 1741 tests the battery charging part to make sure its safety standard is met.
Some inverters are listed under both UL458 and UL 1741 standards with a disconnectable cable near the AC terminal, so you’ll need to read the installation manual carefully about the step up.
An inverter model is either “UL listed” or “NON UL listed”, currently, Sigineer Power is able to List our inverters to UL458, UL1741 and CSA C22.2 under customer brands.<<<

in order of cost, low to high, these three brands impressed me if you are not doing one of the el cheepo chinese rebrands:
Giandel
Samlex
Magnum

I heard too many mixxed reviews on Renogy BTW

By price point, I've been on this search for a while at 12v.... if you want to hardwire look into this. >>>
Difference between UL458 & UL 1741 For Power Inverters
According to the National Electrical Code, batteryless (on grid) or battery-based (off grid / hybrid) power inverter used in residential renewable energy systems must be listed to UL1741.
While UL458 is the safety standard for Power Converters/Inverters and Power Converter/ Inverter Systems for Land Vehicles and Marine Crafts.
UL458 listed Inverters are designed for mobile use—for example, on boats and RVs, which are sometimes off-grid without permanent grounding and sometimes hooked up to shore power/power grid for battery charging and to supply supplemental energy for AC loads. The UL 458 inverter is incapable of selling energy to utility.
The two UL standards differ mainly in two things. One is how they handle the grounding in AC system, the other is whether the battery charger is tested or not.
UL1741-listed inverters must allow for the neutral-to-ground bond to only occur at the main AC service panel. UL458-listed inverters have internal automatic neutral-to-ground switching relay. This relay allows for neutral to ground bonding to occur when the inverter is in off-grid DC to AC mode, it also separates neutral from ground at the utility power service if it is connected to a utility hookup. It does so because in mobile power systems, neutral is bonded with ground.
As for battery charger testing, UL458 doesn’t test the battery charger part of the inverter even some models are built with battery charger.
UL 1741 tests the battery charging part to make sure its safety standard is met.
Some inverters are listed under both UL458 and UL 1741 standards with a disconnectable cable near the AC terminal, so you’ll need to read the installation manual carefully about the step up.
An inverter model is either “UL listed” or “NON UL listed”, currently, Sigineer Power is able to List our inverters to UL458, UL1741 and CSA C22.2 under customer brands.<<<

in order of cost, low to high, these three brands impressed me if you are not doing one of the el cheepo chinese rebrands:
Giandel
Samlex
Magnum

I heard too many mixxed reviews on Renogy BTW
Ive been trying to keep my eyes on the UL certification, your explanation was helpful. I have heard good things about magnum and giandel. I dont want to have any grid feedback, no selling energy back to anybody; i simply want to have the option of running on grid power. Is there anything i should be looking for to ensure a simple grid availability?

Ive been trying to keep my eyes on the UL certification, your explanation was helpful. I have heard good things about magnum and giandel. I dont want to have any grid feedback, no selling energy back to anybody; i simply want to have the option of running on grid power. Is there anything i should be looking for to ensure a simple grid availability?
You are welcome but I offer only what other have helped me with here. Just trying to pay it Fwd, I encourage you to as well. It takes some of the heat off the real brains of this place. I am working on a trailer build so that is what my questions were based upon. I have no clue on grid wired sysytems or isolation. But there is low fequecy or high frequency inverters. It sound like the big heavy inverters like the magum are Low Freq. and they handle surge loads much better. for a home unit that could be the way to go if you have the re$ource$. they are really big and heavy for a little trailer like mine. FWIW I have gone to the Giandel for aforadabilty, better than avg quality at the price point, hardwire capability at the pricepoint, and a 2200w unit instead of 2000. If I had another few hundered I would have done the Samlex. They make one with adjustable parameters that would have been perfect for me. Untill I can afford a second battery to run in parallel I am forced to run the inverter straight off off the battery bypassing the amp limitation of the BMS. setting an adjustable shutoff would protect me from battery low volt damage...but bypassing the BMS set you up for low cell volt damage to the low cell of the build. Best of luck to ya. If you take care to title yur posts consisely people will respect your questions and offer tons of help. If you ask a generic question in the title you may get passed over.

Last edited:
You should look a the Genetry inverters, they have a 3kw sine wave model under a grand, I just ordered their 6kw. they have a channel up on youtube.

Back