diy solar

diy solar

Need help with selecting the right solar components

basillove

Hi! I'm doing a camper van conversion and I want to double check that the main components I have will work ok together and that I will not have any issues if wired correctly with the right fuses, circuit breakers, etc. I might add more solar panels in the future, but right now I'm starting off with 2, 100 watt panels. Here's a list of what I have....

2 - 100 watt solar panels
Renogy 12V 50A DC-DC on board battery charger with MPPT
2- 125 AGM 12V Vmaxtanks
Renogy 2000 wt inverter

I know I will have to figure out the fuses, circuit breakers, etc. If you like to advise on these as well or anything else I should know, I'm all ears.

Much thanks!
Carey

I’d be a lot more comfortable with a 1000 watt inverter with 2 X 125 AH.12 volt batteries. Once you start measuring wire for a 2000 watt inverter, an owners manual will probably recommend 2/0 gauge for the wire. Also, with 200 watts of panels, I would expect most of the charging to be done with the alternator if you intend to use the inverter quite a bit.

Really going to come down to energy usage measuring it and figuring out how many watt hours you really need. In AZ, I would expect your panels to make 800 watts of energy a day. I guess that your 2 batteries will store about 2800 watt hours, of which you’d be planning on using no more than 50% of whatever the real number is.

I'm assuming You are looking at flexible solar panels. If not, You may wish to consider purchasing 1 300+ watt solar panel. Suntan in Gilbert have them for less then $150. You would want to make sure that the panel, would still work with your other components, and that You can mount it on your roof. The advantage is You would get 50% more power, the panel is more durable, and less wiring. The major disadvantage is the possible difficulty of mounting the panel, possible increase wind resistance, and the size and weight of the panel.

Back