diy solar

diy solar

Need help with Yeti 1250 full battery, won't power on, no green light.

HOMOLEO

I have contacted Goal Zero with no help finding cause of this problem. Replaced battery, check all fuses, that I can see, but still the unit will not power on when button is pressed, Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Hate to see this fine device become a brick.
Homoleo

They often use small independent boards in their housings for things like power in/out, power on etc. I suspect it's one of the boards.

Goal Zero has been very good to me through the years and even sent to me complete replacement housings and various boards.

I sent to them a pic with an obvious wrong construction for the part and they not only sent me the replacement but shotgunned the whole housing.

They have been helpful to me in the past also, but the tech told me they no longer carry the 1250 and don't stock parts for that model either. Tried to sell me a 1500, but for a minor flaw in the board they want me to just brick the device. Thats why I was hoping to find an answer on the forum. Thank you for your prompt response, I'm not an electrician, and I called over a dozen "electricians" in Miami and no one would touch it.

well, if you have replaced the battery, and any fuses, its time to break out the old multimeter.
since you replaced the battery, you already know how to open up the device :)

first start by checking voltages because, well, you can learn a lot and its a bit easier than checking currents.
make sure the controller board is actually getting voltage...this may take a bit of wire following but there will be a one or more red wires that go to the controller board.

does the display even "flicker" when you disconnect the battery, wait a minute, and reconnect it?
Is it completely dead, or just not responding to the power button?
if you plug in an input power source (ac or solar)does it respond (which means the "brains" are still there)...

you can disconnect all the power (iincluding battery) and actually check if the power button is working all by itself; this will take a bit of teardown probably.

if the display is working when you hit the power button can you enable the usb or any of the output buttons?

do you know anybody that has one locally and would let you put their controller panel into your case?

The tricky part in troubleshooting is trying to figure out if its a "fixable" problem, or not.
A simple bad switch, failed internal dc converter, even a bad transitor may be fixable; sadly if its the controller chips that tends to mean its dead and its time to check its wallet for anything you can take!! (in this case the battery is almost certainly ok and the wired connectors may be useful for future projects)..

Electricians are not the people that "Fix" broken electronics; appliance repair people replace major parts with factory or 3rd party parts...and hobbyist are the ones that are crazy enough to attempt board level repair!!

Back