diy solar

diy solar

Need help!

Hagern.yacht

Hi,
I have a problem and hope you can help me ?
We are preparing our ship for a world trip only we have BIG problem's with our Battery's
First i had Trojan 445Amp 6v 2x8 battery. ( seller said it is very good ... not. :cry:.)
2e set Heavy duty 1000Amp load 4 battery's, ( after 2 months Dead :mad:)
3e set Top cells for a forklift
2v cell 1260 Amp x12 cell's 24V load heavy duty battery 4 months old and only 2 days working well :( ? ....
We have a :
Victron Quattrocore 8000Watt 24v Inverter
Victron Solar charger 250V/100AMP ( 20 panels 335Watt 10 amp Conectit in 5 set's of 4 panels )
2x wind turbine 3000WaTT .
cable 16mm from solar-charger to battery 1 meter
2x plus cable 90mm battery to inverter 1 meter ( one time 50mm is good normal )
2x min cable 90mm battery to inverter 1 meter ( one time 50mm is good normal )

we use 550Watt normal up to max 2500Watt for washing machine or dryer .

Can you help me PLEASE.... I spent over 15,000 euro on BAD battery's and the seller don't help us ...??

I want to use the Lifep04 battery's how meany i need ?
I so your movies on you tube ( all off them :) you tel it very good )
But my question is .... What do i Need to live on the Battery's ( off the Grid )
And the BMS i need ?
I have search on the internet and every body tells something els, and the price is a big different up to 1900 Euro for the same set ?
Please can you help me.....
Best regards,
Hagern.Yacht

Last edited:
It seems odd that 3 different sets of batteries have gone bad so quickly.
Are you sure you are charging them sufficiently and properly? And not draining them excessively between charges?

I agree; I don't think it's the batteries. I would double check your charging profile. I know it's a victron. but is it configured correctly ? do you have too high of a charge current ? I would measure and take voltage/current points for an entire charge cycle. do you have a BMV-712 that would help monitor what's going on ? do you have any parasitic loads that is draining the battery bank without you knowing ? can you measure any current when you think the boat is all quiet / shut off ?

It seems odd that 3 different sets of batteries have gone bad so quickly.
Are you sure you are charging them sufficiently and properly? And not draining them excessively between charges?
we live on the battery, the seller set the system and a monteur from Victron Set the Inverter in the good settings .. all was good ... charger set on 200Amp ( normal charger is 350Amp ) all is good .. now the seller said its on a ship and is shaking to much so the battery's are not good for a ship?
And said he can not everything any more. It's now our problem and doesn't take he's battery's back.

I agree; I don't think it's the batteries. I would double check your charging profile. I know it's a victron. but is it configured correctly ? do you have too high of a charge current ? I would measure and take voltage/current points for an entire charge cycle. do you have a BMV-712 that would help monitor what's going on ? do you have any parasitic loads that is draining the battery bank without you knowing ? can you measure any current when you think the boat is all quiet / shut off ?
Yes we did check everything the battery's are standing alone. When Victron is shut down we have no power losses we have 3 times have a monteur from Victron check it over a few days and he said everything is ok. Only wrong battery's for a ship. He told us take litium battery's everything is setup in charging manuel for this type off battery's are using now.

Can you provide the detail of your charge settings for both solar and wind?

Have you tried completely disconnecting and charging your batteries from shore power?
After charging do the batteries settle above 24v?
Then try to load test (inverter and dryer?)

You need to verify your battery condition in an isolated environment. I would check all 3 sets if they are still available.

Can you provide the detail of your charge settings for both solar and wind?

Have you tried completely disconnecting and charging your batteries from shore power?
After charging do the batteries settle above 24v?
Then try to load test (inverter and dryer?)

You need to verify your battery condition in an isolated environment. I would check all 3 sets if they are still available.
the monteur did this whit a special box he test the battery's and charge it and discharge it.
the solar give around 27Amp cloudet day to 100Amp on a good sunny day
the wind turbine up to 20Amp to 30Amp max ..
battery are full all stops and go to a overload unit. ( Victron ) all is connected whit a UTP to a display and the system test button said all system is ok .?
we don't know it any more the monteur said all is good and we have Overkill on cable so not bad .. connections good .. battery box is good and can't go lower than 10 degrees ( heating element go on ) to 20 degrees max all is good ...... ????
we use 20 to 30 Amp 24/7 from the Battery.... so the monteur said all is good you have over cappacy ??? Sorry I'm from the Netherlands so my English is not very well I hope you can understand me. :)

Your english is quite good!

I think if you are going to be reliant on battery power you need a better understanding of your charging system.
Now is the time to open the Victron manual and do a little reading
If you cannot even determine your settings, you are not at all prepared for a sea journey.

And, we will need these settings to help diagnose your issues.

I think this type of battery's aren't good 'for a ship ?
But in the Netherlands Litium battery's are very expensive one battery is 3000 Euro ( 3307,28 dollar ) up to 3500 euro ( 3858,49 Dollar ) with BMS Charger 200ah 12v battery
i need 24v ..... so now i see the movies on you-tube to make the battery bank your self and is do-able ....
So my question what do I need ? ( in the Netherland Company don't tell ???? way i don't know )

He is asking for your charge settings. Bulk, absorb, float without these there is really no starting point.
If you are living off of and using the batteries are you plugged in or just using solar/ wind for charging?

I think this type of battery's aren't good 'for a ship ?
Your batteries are perfectly suited for a ship. All 3 types you have tried have been in vehicles that get far rougher treatment than your ship could survive.

I “think” the consensus is that your problems are with your charging/discharging of your batteries.

If you want to invest in a 4th set of batteries instead of problem solving i will get out of you way.

Your english is quite good!

I think if you are going to be reliant on battery power you need a better understanding of your charging system.
Now is the time to open the Victron manual and do a little reading
If you cannot even determine your settings, you are not at all prepared for a sea journey.

And, we will need these settings to help diagnose your issues.
The Manuel Of the victron: and the Battery Cell.
General settings: State of charge when bulk Finished 85%
Battery Capacity 1260Ah
Charge Efficiency 1.00
DC input low shut-down 20,60V ( manuel battery say 18,60v )
DC input low Restart 21,80V ( manuel battery say 20,60v )
DC input low Pre-Alarm 21,60V ( manuel battery say 20,80v )

Charging:
this type of battery's 2V cell 1260Amp Dyno-Europe 9PZS 12 St
Manuel Said 24V Charging on 350AMP max charging 500AMP 34v charging ( this type of battery .. victron can't only charge 200 Amp )
Use Equalization ( tubular plate traction battery curve )
Charge curve Adaptive + BatterySafe.
Absorption voltage 32V
Fload voltage 30 V
Charge current 200A

If i set a other battery type all settings change ..
If i set it back all is back to this settings .....
Solar and wind going through this charger and is connected with a UTP cable .

Last edited:
He is asking for your charge settings. Bulk, absorb, float without these there is really no starting point.
If you are living off of and using the batteries are you plugged in or just using solar/ wind for charging?
we are not plugt in :) we use a generator ( 50Kwh ) to get the battery's back on power :) Charging go by the inverter ( Victron ).

When the Battery's are full of charge the Victron stops with charging and shut-down the generator it self ..
After 10 minutes the Volt in the Battery are from 32v back to 24v after a short time its low 22v?
on 20V the Victron start the Generator automatic for charging the battery's..... ????

20 panels 335Watt , that is a pretty huge boat.
since they are on a boat and most of the time i think you get some shadow on them,
and when mounted in series, panels with shadows are working very badly.
so when you check in good condition (sails down ?) with tech you could get a measure that is not at all
what you get when in real conditions.

20 panels 335Watt , that is a pretty huge boat.
since they are on a boat and most of the time i think you get shome shadow on them,
haha 35Meter long 6meter wide the panels have no shadow 80% of daylight only when the sun is going down ;)

so problem must be elsewhere.
"After 10 minutes the Volt in the Battery are from 32v back to 24v after a short time its low 22v? "
what voltage are you working on ?
32V for a 24v battery is too high
for a 36V is too low.

22v is definitely low. But this is drawing 20-30amps all the time too?
Repeatedly running them below 24v will damage the batteries.

Can you see any sign of the Victron actually charging the batteries? It must be windy there so charging? Any readings?

I am not familiar with your charge controller. I believe we need to conjure
@Justin Laureltec
Does that work?

Back