diy solar

diy solar

Need help!

For relatively small $$ you could acquire 2 12V flooded deep cycle marine batteries & substitute them for your primary bank (no loads though)
Once installed run the ship off the generator & use the small generator to connect to the Victron. (A test bed if you will)
Draw the new batteries down to 75% SOC & start a charge. You need to observe & note what is happening (time, amps, & volts) say 5, 10, or 15 minute intervals.
If the Victron shuts down the charge secure the setup, disconnect the battery & share your log.
@ your discretion reduce your Victron voltages to 26.4 & 28.4 & see how that works & share that log.

OPzV lead battery is ok , and you can get them in huge capacity (up to 3000Ah).
it is heavy, but as you said , 600K of battery is peanut for this boat. (well the 3000Ah model is 250kg, so 20 of them is 5 tons)
using other kind of battery is tricky , because there si no equivalent in capacity, so you would end up with tons of little cells in serie and parallel. that is not good. And the price of OPzV (or even OPzV2) is ok.
They even exist in gel form, so there is no risk of leakage.

Last edited:
tomorrow i gone start the generator and charge the Battery's ( no load Off the Victron )on 50Amp after 85% i stop the charging and stop the gen, and i disconnected .... let it wait for 5 hours and disconnect all the 12 Battery's Sunday i gonna check the voltage again ...
Mabye I see more ? full battery is normal 2,08V
20191114_101944.jpg
max volt 28v 50 amp ? fload volt et ? 26 v....
I gonna test it again I let you all know thanks for your help everybody (y)
I think Sunday I know more ?

It sounds like you understand the charging of the battery, that leads me to believe the problem is on the load side. Please send a photo of the batteries and close ups of the POS and NEG terminals and the shunt.

I had a similar problem years ago on a much smaller system. The customer insisted the problem was with the battery. She had a A/H meter installed so I told her to turn every thing off. She did, but the meter still showed consumption. To make a long story short, a light switch for the basement was installed upside down.....so when it looked liked it was off (down), it was on. Happy customer.

Could also be loose battery connections or the series connection within the battery bank could be wrong.

Since you are bulk charging the bank you can then charge each battery until specific gravity says it is charged.

Since there is still a question an what voltage and current should be applied, what make a d model are your batteries?

This is the most critical information detail. Absolutely rough guide for flooded batteries can be ok to use, but different batteries have slightly different sg and charge voltages.

I have a set of Crown batteries as a house battery and was surprised that they require 29.0v absorbtion voltage. All batteries have a specific value in order to achieve their particular combination of cycle life and charge capacity. (And warranty coverage*)

One of the main things i am doing while researching to intall for a client is to be absolutely confident that all procedures and integrations are not voiding the customers warranty on the equipments. I would be out of buisness if i destroyed or allowed to be ruined or degraded, a 10k$ piece of equipment.

Last edited:
Having the hardest time getting specs for that battery...... i now see you have included the model several times. The thread is getting thick. We could take Kauai's suggestion amd the Backwash's response in the thread as enough for now!

Having the hardest time getting specs for that battery...... i now see you have included the model several times. The thread is getting thick. We could take Kauai's suggestion amd the Backwash's response in the thread as enough for now!
I've also been searching for the info, but I'm finding everything Except what I need.
Cell is 2.08Volt charging max is 3.80Volt? 12x2.09=24.96 ok good Seller said Charging et 3.80Volt 12x3.80=45.60Volt for a 24volt set...
Even I can see that this is not good.
Now charge the batteries with 50 AMP 28V fload 26V.
Now I can't hear the battery ( not bubbling ) ..
I'm now getting my other battery ready for the inverter.
So that later I can disconnect this set and let it rest and measure .
Monday the mechanic comes back and takes a tester with him so that he can measure all cells and test under pressure to see what the cell does.
the cables are all overkill.
i need 1x 50 squared cable and used 2x 90 squared.
the intermediate cable is 120 squared cable and 50 would be good .
They don't get hot either.
and I have 2x500AMP fuses in between so also good.
Everything checked but I can't do much about the software of the inverter.
but Monday I hope to know more.

What ever happened with your project?
Hi all, sorry I was very bizzy with the Battery's I kickt the battery's out and order Lifepo4 24V I am waiting on them ... 800Ah for testing and if it's good I order 800Ah extra the other one didn't hold it for long 5 hours damaged cells ..

Hi all, sorry I was very bizzy with the Battery's I kickt the battery's out and order Lifepo4 24V I am waiting on them ... 800Ah for testing and if it's good I order 800Ah extra the other one didn't hold it for long 5 hours damaged cells ..

Have you identified the problem?

Have you identified the problem?
can't find a problem?
the supplier's tests didn't find anything, so let victron come to see if everything was okay in the Hardware.
They didn't find anything in the system either , Only that we'd be better off taking lipo or lifepo4 on a ship .
Load batteries are not really an option for our use, because we also go by sea and so the liquid splashes out.
the mechanic of Victron also thought it was weird and after his tests he saw that something was wrong but he updated the software but still the same thing .
it is also better to go on lifepo4 everything you put in it you also get back with load battery you only get 80% back of the 100% input........
So let's switch to lifepo4, and keep an eye on the meters (volts and amps) and see what we really use.
the seller of the battery has a device that he puts in between so he can turn something off ? on 24 hours and that for a week ??????
see what comes out of that and then he'll see if we can get our money back.
be continued

Back