diy solar

diy solar

Need PCB fab house

Roswell Bob

Solar Enthusiast
I am looking for a half-dozen or so boards fabbed. 2 layers through hole 3"x5" solder mask and silk one side. Looking for local USA source with 1-2 week spin.

You said, USA source, but also said 1-2 week turnaround. I recently used PCBWay in China and have been very satisfied. Fast production and shipped via DHL for $25. Had the boards at my front door in 1 Wk in some cases and never more than 2 weeks. Unless you are absolutely certain about using a US supplier, give them a try. If Canada works for you, 7PCB quoted favorable pricing but there is a bit of a transportation issue at the moment with the trucker convoys blocking everything.

I tried to order from DigiKey, DK Red or one of the others they go to. I selected "Seeed Fusion" out of China, which had the best offering.
After I paid for the order, it was cancelled, saying the system miscalculated shipping due to my board size.

I place the order direct with Seeed Fusion, got a couple more boards for a few bucks less. About 2 weeks turn-around.

This was 7" x 16.5" x 0.062", 2 copper layers, 2 oz copper.
Quite gross dimensions and drill sizes, because it was a power line filter.
20 pieces. About $535 delivered.

Small boards can be done for far less money; some example parameters shown on their site for < $5.00

I have not used them, but Sunstone is USA-based and offers several PCB fab options along with free captive tools (PCB123, can pay for Gerber output to use with another vendor).

https://www.sunstone.com/

Their online quote tool says $58 for 6 each 3"x5" double sided with solder mask in 1 week ($350 total). You can fill in more info online to refine that price.

They also offer kitting and assembly through Screaming Circuits.

Their online quote tool says $58 for 6 each 3"x5" double sided with solder mask in 1 week ($350 total). You can fill in more info online to refine that price.

$30 total for 10 boards ($3 each) from Seeed Fusion

So unless it's ITAR controlled, you have moral reasons to pay $220 extra to support US businesses, or you're afraid of piracy, the Chinese source is quite compelling.

In a past job, I got lots of boards from places like Sierra Circuits, around $5000 for 20 prototypes. BOM cost $10,000. Assembly cost $5000.

Looking for local USA source with 1-2 week spin.
Totally agree, saving $220 is a big deal in my world but Roswell Bob specifically said USA source so...

Here's another USA-based option I have used in the past:

http://www.circuitswest.com/current-specials

Prototype 2-layer Design: Only $31 Each!​

IMG_3295.jpg

Tin plating process
To order now, click here to create an account and upload your zip files.

Specifications for the $31 Special:

• Min quantity of 3 pieces *Maximum board size 60 sq inches
  • Lead time 5 days *All parts individually routed
  • 2 layers, .062″, 1 oz Cu plate, HASL *One part per order
  • Minimum .006″ lines & spaces *Green mask with white silk
  • Min .015″ holes size, no plated slots

OSH Park is actually a US PCB company (they don't send out to China) and they are competitive with PCB way @ higher quality.

If someone has information showing OSH Park is sending out overseas post it here please.

Sunstone is if course US based but they are no longer competitive in their pricing. It almost costs me 10:1 to go Sunstone over PCB way on my faster turn jobs.

... PCB way is very low quality but the service works and it is fast. If you (hardcore) compare them to Sunstone you WILL see the difference.

Boards that see heavy rework or harsh environment **

Sunstone will beat PCB Way on the following every time.

* Adhesives and traces peeling up
* Cracking at the annular ring
* Basic inspection including missing traces
* Heft and general appearance

OSH lands better than PCB way and worse than Sunstone for prototyping robustness. I use OSH because

* Nice 3D rendering tool
* US based, diy friendly
* Reasonable fast(ish) turn option
* Simple stencils that work

Yea
They have burned me in the past on important jobs, so... Order more than you need.

OSH Park FTW for DIY pcbs with a signature look that are US based. Again... If someone can provide proof to the contrary I will personally run down the facts and clear it up

-methods

OSH Park

Sunstone

... PCB way is very low quality but the service works and it is fast.
Thanks for the tip on these 2 other shops. I've been using PCBway for a few very simple 2 layer TH boards and don't have any complaints about their quality so far but if the prices are similar, I would rather keep my business in the US. Will check it out.

No more than two layers and I print my own prototype boards. Fairly easy to do. If you value your design ownership rights be aware that you can get your design stolen by some fab houses.

Yep

* Two layer
* Top only
* No smaller than 0805
* No smaller thant TSSOP
* No BGA
* Always buy a stencil
* I solder paste everything*

And yep - the houses will steal your IP, and other companies have access to the houses.

When I care I obfuscate
* Build landing board at one spot
* Build modules another spot

-methods

PCB Way clarification
The quality isn't so low that you can't use the parts. It's totally fine for prototyping. I've made many boards there.... And it's so cheap as to almost be free.

All I'm saying is that... If you're used to high quality, you can see the difference in the pcbWay process.

I would do OSHpark over PCBway 99/100.

I don't know anybody at either of those places, I don't sell any products or services, I'm not affiliated with them and I don't get kicked back in any way.

I'm just a hardcore DIY guy.... Who gets pissed when the things he builds suck :)

-methods

For "one off's" I have adapted to using that iron on laser printer technique. Although I have much more sophisticated equipment, and the printer method is a little tricky, it's so much faster for single or prototype one or two sided boards. You can get surprising resolution too.

You know, just about anyone can print at least prototype quality boards now days. No specialized sourcing needed for each supply you used like when I first started. Now days places like Amazon or Ebay sell just about anything needed. Although you can buy low cost CNC drilling machines, for less than 100 holes, and with surface mount technology that's more than you'll ever use, you can buy a Dremel "drill press" attachment, and a Dremel tool. Carbide drill bits that fit a Dremel (1/8") are cheap and all you need them for is mostly for via's, some leaded passives, board external wiring, sockets, terminals and mounting.

I printed my first board in the hot attic of my house (in the desert west) when very young, about the time of the Apollo missions. Back then it was "tape on" resist traces layed very carefully on each board, then etch. Also knew Morse code and had built several "tube" radio transmitters in those days. Now days our cell phone has more computing power than the entire Apollo mission used. They were much much smarter programmers though. They had to be to accomplish so much with so little. I think NASA had trained monkeys in those days that were smarter than most of today's programmers.

Also as for getting IP stolen, you can't even get a patent now days safely. It'l be stolen (from the patent office), in production, and on the bootleg market before you even get the patent approved. Forget about all of the rigged courts too. If you catch one of the thieves your better off with the Smith and Wesson, or Winchester legal approach.

Last edited:
Guys... you can't beat JLCPCB for boards.

100 mm square and you get five for $5. Yeah, $.020 each! You can pay for DHL shipping for 3-5 days delivery or slow boat.

Definitely agree JCLPCB way is the best.
There are other Chinese suppliers, its all very competitive over there, but I have used JCLPCB for years and no reason to change.

If you can make your board 4 inch by 4 inch (or 100mm square) they offer a special deal. Its much easier for them, because that size can go straight down their fully automated production line without any human intervention.
Any other size (or extra options) costs more, because someone has to manually cut the boards to size and feed it into the machinery by hand.

As Prosolar says ^^^ five double sided boards, plated through holes, one ounce copper, solder mask both sides, and silk screen overlay on one side for five dollars. And the quality is EXCELLENT.
You will receive your boards within a week anywhere in the world. Airfreight will cost a lot more than the boards, about $25 to Australia.

If you are doing small home projects all the time, I wait until I need several different boards and order the lot together. Combining the postage makes a huge difference.

Back