diy solar

diy solar

Need "Smart-BMS" as replacement for ShunBin Pack

Steve_S

Offgrid Cabineer, N.E. Ontario, Canada
I recently purchased a ShunBin 24/400AH LFP ( <- the thread) pack, upon investigation, I determined that the BMS is too dubious "for my liking" and with no temp monitoring, no info and no way to know what it is doing, not interested. I also wanted to have a Battery Monitor to be able to see the state of affairs within the pack. Will has a video with a Bluetooth equipped 8-16S Smart BMS which is particularly interesting and at a good price point. OK, I'm feeling pinched with the pack purchase. But I would prefer PC / RaspberryPi access to the monitor/bms and there are a few out there. Of course there is TinyBMS and I also found this one which is quite a complete "Kit" and also at a reasonable price.

There is also the version from Will's Video for 24V up to 300A, including LCD display, Bluetooth and the harnesses etc.

I was looking at Daly BMS but they do not seem to have a 24V 100A / 150A smart BMS that can also talk PC, that I could find.
If anyone has suggestions for known good Smart BMS that would do the job, much appreciated. One which won't break a stressed budget, ;)

The Pack is 16 LFP Cells setup as 8s - showing it's provided BMS.
pack-view-jpg.2697

Last edited:
I bought a 100AH LiFePo4 battery from a Chinese supplier with Bluetooth BMS built in. The app for the BMS shows a model number that I haven't been able to find with a Google search, but it is working fine. It has paramaters for low temp charge cutoff in the App .... I have not fully tested to make sure that is working as it should. They sent me a quote for buying the BMS seperately .... This does not include shipping
They only had the spec sheet in Chinese but I have been able to use a PDF translator online to get them in english although I haven't translated them all yet. Let me know if you want the contact information for the provider.
The only issue I have had with this BMS is that the current in and out were not correct when I got it, but the app had a calibration proceedure that corrected it and it has been good since calibration.
I have got more info from them than I have digested since I don't plan to do my project til spring.
Quotation for BMS with bluetooth
Model No.Price (USD)
12V 60A27
12V 80A37
12V 100A41
12V 150A50
24V 60A28
24V 80A39
24V 100A42
24V 120A49
48V 60A47
48V 80A56
48V 100A60
48V 120A64

I have the chargery works well so far but I have not tried to hook to my pi yet that's a project for the coming week. I can not find any instructions or data sheets for the interface though.

Well, I started by looking at ones recommended by will and a few other threads. I really want the ability for PC communications because my powerhouse is across the yard with all my gear and I'm setting up a Pi with node-red, grafana, influDB and more to manage my Classic 200 & Samlex 4024, so naturally, I want my LFP pack on it too ! So that's one of my limitations and of course the famous Budget. By the time I worked out the Tiny, it came to almost $400 Now I have just finished reading several reviews and watching a few YT vid's and there seems to be a Winner on price & functionality, Link below. Also considering that I am replacing a BMS of who knows what that does gawd only knows what.... Of course this will also mean doing some modifications to the Stainless Casing, at least I'm equipped to do that sort of work properly.

Couple of YT Vid's worth a watch, 1st one more important as there is extra software info there.

@Bob B Can you post a link to the bms you purchased? Thanks

Bought the whole battery and the BMS was already in it. They don't have a web link to the BMS, but I will PM you the contact info.

Well more YT Videos and more searches and more reviews..... My goodness there is brain pain to be had. Well Bluetooth & PC communications is available but what a challenge, Most notably when looking for something 100A and up BUT found !

8S 80-150A with Bluetooth & PC https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32756531451.html?spm=2114.12010612.8148356.5.5cf81d2bCqXvZP
16S 80-150A with BT & PC https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32756531451.html?spm=2114.12010612.8148356.5.5cf81d2bCqXvZP
can't find these on Amazon or Ebay :-(

Then they have this version with an LCD Screen & Bluetooth but no PC function.
8S 50-120A https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32953856202.html?spm=2114.12010612.8148356.23.333e1d2bhZQyjh
versions of this can be found on Ebay

Well after much research, digging, reading & watching reviews plus with good EMail interaction and good responses / support from Chargery, the choice is made to go with the BMS8T / 300A, 2- 200A Relays, 1- Relay Delay Board. All In with shipping $168 USD (aliexpress)
Ref: http://chargery.com/BMS8T.asp

EDIT: Once the Chargery Equipment is received, I will of course take photo's but will also include in THIS THREAD the process I go through to installing it with the ShunBin Pack and the mods to the Stainless Steel casing (which ought to be fun). While my setup of course will be unique to my configuration of teh equipment, it may help others to se it actually going together.

ATTACHMENTS :
The latest V3 Manual with all the details &goodies you want to know about.
The Current RS232 <-> PC protocol info for the programmers out there. (I'm adding this into my Node-Red Solar Control project)

Attachments

• bms24T_BMS16T_BMS8T_additional_protocol-RS232[1096].pdf
    153.6 KB · Views: 31
  • Chargery_BMS8T_specification_V3.0.pdf
    2.4 MB · Views: 30
Last edited:
Just a quick update. BMS & Relays plus delay board have been ordered direct from Chargery.
Because the ShunBIn pack has Aluminium Busbars I ordered some nice Copper ones to replace them. 16+8 as I needed 23.
I also ordered a 330pcs Non-insulated Terminals Assortment Set Crimping Tool Crimper Plier Kit to make all the "nice & proper" connections.

REFS: If you're looking for similar pieces

That the Smart-BMS system is by far the best.
It was quite a toss up, the next in line would have been the TinyBMS but that goes deeper into the wallet too by the time you add everything up. And after already having dropped large on the ShunBin and having to replace pieces even before use, wallet is very unhappy.

The Headway BusBars were the wrong thing altogether, UGH ! The search for proper busbars for thee cells is underway. No luck finding anything local or available fast.

The Chargery Package Arrived ! I'm impressed with it and can't wait to get started on installing it... of course there will be photo's. Only glitch, such as it is, the leads to the battery cells are a tad short, I may just use the leads already attached to the cells from the old BMS but that means soldering or and potentially adding resistance into the wire... pondering. if they were only 4" longer, sheesh,.

There will be no hammering of copper pipe, worst case I'll keep the heavy aluminium IF I can't get good 110 copper bar stock from the local metal shop. With things especially like my Solar or general electrical, the rule is no Bodging or Kludging allowed, I'm somewhat persnickety on these things.

Does the Chargery BMS have a low temperature charge protection? All I see in the manual is high temperature protection.

Unfortunately it doesn't do Low Temp as such, it does High Temp, Cell Differential temp and cut offs based on the temp range. I have yet to install it, that's in the next couple days once I get the balance of my parts together. Below is info from the docs.

Temperature sensor
Two temperature sensors monitor the battery temperature, the sensor must tie to battery surface or gap of cells where the temperature should be the highest during charge or discharge. The temperature range is -20 to 150℃

Cut-Off Delay Time is very important and difference for different battery capacity and application, please
carefully test and make a correct decision, for EV, you can select NO to control the EV car by manual NOT
controlled by BMS8T, but when cell voltage and temperature trigger the absolute maximum or minimum
ratings, the BMS8T will force to cut off charge or discharge to make sure the battery safety, and prevent
battery pack from explode or fire.

Chargery BMS8T use temperature
protection prevent BMS from overheating, and has a over current protection for each cell.

Here is the photo of the kit "as received" to show what I got with it, I did order the two relays from Chargery as well, they may have cost a bit more than other alternatives but they are serious units unlike some others I have seen in the past, so I feel that it was the right choice. Additionally, you'll notice a small PCB Board there, that is a Relay Delay board in order to allow for a bit if delay on switching, in case of heavy loads and the like. I may not need it but figured it's best to get it and have it, just in case and for $5 or so, no problem. I am still working on the Cell BusBar issue which needs a quick resolution as I wan this together & running next week. Shown is the 300A shunt as well as two 200A relays.

FYI / BTW: I purchased directly from Chargery and dealing directly with Jason Wang there. He has been amazingly good at responding to questions & queries and most helpful and processed my order very expeditiously too. I have t give Kudos & Credit where it is due ! The only bugaboo is the Time Difference (nothing like playing email @ 01:00 hrs) but that's just international business.

Note on the "phone wire" which is used to connect the actual control & remote. It's just a standard 4 wire cable, so you can substitute a regular phone extension if desired.

bms8t-kit.jpg

Do you know if the delay module is time adjustable? I just pulled the trigger on the same unit. ( less the solenoid and delay module )

Back