diy solar

diy solar

Need Solar Panel Recommendations

darteman

I have a small 4'x8' camper trailer with ONE 12v 100Ah LiFePO4 Battery and will be purchasing the MPP Solar 1000 110-120 vac setup that Will has reviewed. I was wondering what types/mfg of solar panels would be best suited for my small trailer? The flat area of my roof is about 4'x6' that would included a powered vent fan. Thanks

Last edited:
There are a few variables to consider.

How often will you be using the trailer?

Where will you be using the trailer? Sunny AZ or the overcast PNW?

How much of the battery do you expect to use each day?

Do you want to cover the whole roof of the trailer or are there fans, vents, or other things on the roof that you have to work around?

Just for a rough ballpark idea, let's assume you use 80% of the battery each day. 12.8V x 100Ah x 80% = 1024Wh. If you could get 5 solar hours of sun in a day you need about 200W of solar to recharge. But since the panel will likely be flat mounted on the trailer roof you would want at least 300W. To deal with less ideal days you might want 400W-500W. If you only use 40% of the battery each day then you could cut that solar in half.

I won't be using the trailer a lot but will be using it on a 90 day road from central Illinois to Idaho and the PNW and all the way down the WA,OR, CA coast on the 101 to San Diego then to UT & AZ and back home. I have no idea YET how much battery I will need. I will not have conventional AC or larger appliances to power. I do have a Bouge RV 30qt 12v refrigerator. And have a Bluetti AC50s that should take care of most of my needs on a daily basis but I would like to Boondock for 3-4 days at a time. I believe I would only have enough room for qty 2 2'x4' panels. Also considering getting a second SoGen since it is not recommended to use my small Bluetti while charging. Can I get two small 200w solar to fit my size requirements or just get qty 2 100w panels. What Mfg would you recommend? Thanks

Put as many panels as you can / more solar is better in my opinion :)

I have 4 x 300w panels (1200w) flat on my 7 x 14 trailer - I get about 5kwh/day in full sun.
1639705832408.png1639705858390.png
I wondered if it would 'look bad' to be right up to the edge / visible but its OK for me.
I wondered if they would 'blow off' - no issues (mounted with bolts thru the metal roof struts).

Put as many panels as you can / more solar is better in my opinion :)

I have 4 x 300w panels (1200w) flat on my 7 x 14 trailer - I get about 5kwh/day in full sun.
View attachment 76006View attachment 76007
I wondered if it would 'look bad' to be right up to the edge / visible but its OK for me.
I wondered if they would 'blow off' - no issues (mounted with bolts thru the metal roof struts).
I could possibly do two 300w panels. What is the Mfg and dimensions of your panels? Thanks

I have no idea YET how much battery I will need.
Then worrying about how much solar to get is a little premature. You need to work out your power needs first. You may find you need a lot more battery, for example. Start with the proper energy audit:

I will not have conventional AC or larger appliances to power.
Do you mean AC (110V) or A/C (air conditioning)? If you mean AC then why did you buy an inverter?

Then worrying about how much solar to get is a little premature. You need to work out your power needs first. You may find you need a lot more battery, for example. Start with the proper energy audit:

Do you mean AC (110V) or A/
300w (+/- 50w) mono (black) are 40" wide and 66" long - like this - https://www.altestore.com/store/solar-panels/heliene-320-watt-solar-panels-all-bl
300w (+/- 50w) mono (black) are 40" wide and 66" long - like this - https://www.altestore.com/store/solar-panels/heliene-320-watt-solar-panels-all-black-p42296/ Most every 285w to 340w mono crystalline I've seen are similar dimensions. Used ones are good as well - its just shipping get's you.

ack-p42296/ Most every 285w to 340w mono crystalline I've seen are similar dimensions. Used ones are good as well - its just shipping get's you.

300w (+/- 50w) mono (black) are 40" wide and 66" long - like this - https://www.altestore.com/store/solar-panels/heliene-320-watt-solar-panels-all-black-p42296/ Most every 285w to 340w mono crystalline I've seen are similar dimensions. Used ones are good as well - its just shipping get's you.
Those 300w panels would be too large I could possibly use their 150w panels

Do you mean AC (110V) or A/C (air conditioning)? If you mean AC then why did you buy an inverter?
I will not be using conventional A/C but will have an IcyBreeze for infrequent use that is battery, 12v or 110v. Have not purchased the inverter yet. This is all in the initial planning stage. Thanks

I have six 200watt (actually 4-200watt & 2-210w) panels on my MotorHome.
Www. ContinuousResources. Com. They are hightec panels and they were shipped directly to me (no charge) from the manufacturer. I needed those due to the layout of my roof.

I put two 250watt used panels from Suntan solar on my dad’s 5th wheel. That was plenty for him and his were much cheaper. See if you can find a used panels in your area.

Good luck!

I just got 4-100watt HQST compact panels that are 40” x 20”. I really like the smaller size. they are around $80 a panel.

I have six 200watt (actually 4-200watt & 2-210w) panels on my MotorHome.
Www. ContinuousResources. Com. They are hightec panels and they were shipped directly to me (no charge) from the manufacturer. I needed those due to the layout of my roof.

I put two 250watt used panels from Suntan solar on my dad’s 5th wheel. That was plenty for him and his were much cheaper. See if you can find a used panels in your area.

Good luck!
I'm looking at the used 250W Suntan Solar panels myself. How many did you buy, and what did the shipping cost? I need eight myself, or better put; I would like eight. :cool:

My dad heard road trip and was gone… he drove about 6 hours - so I can’t tell you what freight was.

The flat area of my roof is about 4'x6' that would included a powered vent fan. Thanks
Have you already installed the ‘vent fan’ or is the vent already in place?
Typical 100W panels are around 26”x42” so those would be a maximum of two. You could also mount perhaps 3 on the left/driver’s side, or hinge them but store them vertically. (You can still make power when vertical)

The thing is the battery storage that others have mentioned. How much you need for storage in a big way indicates what you will need to keep them charged.

Keep it simple and put one commercial grade 465 watt panel on it.

I paid 220 bucks at a local dealer.

1631853815923-png.65026

I put 4 100w flexible on my van 2s2p but not getting enough power to keep lifepo4 full if fridge is on. Do a power consumption analysis.

Back