diy solar

diy solar

Need Some Clarification

wiztom

Hello,
Solar newbie here. I am or have obtained, the following; 1 Renogy 200 Watt Solar Suitcase, 2 Renogy 200 Ah Gel batterys, 1 Renogy 2000 Watt 12V Pure Sine Converter, 1 Renogy 40 Amp Mppt Controller.
I am Planning on getting another 200 watt solar panel, or two 100 watt), to add.
This will be my first home patio solar project. I plan to try out a small fridge, computer, TV, LED lights, etc.
My question right now is; Is the best way to connect all this to parallel both the solar panels and the batteries?
Also, am I missing anything in the way of equipment?

Thanks

Is the best way to connect all this to parallel both the solar panels and the batteries?
You should series the panels if the combined Voc is sufficiently (10-20%) below the SCC max input voltage. Depends on you area's max temperature, which raises panel voltage.

If you want to use your 12v inverter, you cannot put them in series because that would create a 24v battery. So, yes, parallel the batteries... negative lead off one, positive off the other for balance.

I assume you batteries are 12V class. In this case, you need to parallel the batteries to get 12V and 400Ah.
You connect the solar panel to MPPT then to battery, then to 12V, 2000W inverter. Finally, inverter to load.
You need fuse in between battery and inverter (@positive side).
The recommended gel battery usage is 50% of each capacity. Assuming, you are using 2000W (@120V appliances) you are good in batteries capacity. Make sure proper fuse size and cable size from battery to inverter.

Back