diy solar

diy solar

Need some help - Designing system, having trouble connecting travel trailer system

landocarlesien

Heyeveryone,

New to the solar game. My wife and I just bought a Cougar 29FKD travel trailer and plan on traveling full time while working remote. Ive watched a ton of videos and read a lot, but I feel like I’m getting lost in everything and would love to get some advice. I originally was thinking of installing 400ah LiFePo4 batteries with 800-1000w solar in a 24v configuration. My wife said that we need to be able to run AC some of the time and since we are going to be off grid, I will need an inverter generator. For this I would need an ATS, but since its a 24v config, I would also have to install a 24v to 12v step down. How can I power the AC/charge off the inverter generator with this set up? To make things worse, since its a travel trailer using a 7-pin connector, I need to disconnect the power from the 7-pin so it doesnt backfeed the alternator while still being able to use trailer brakes and lights. Any advice? Am I over complicating things? Is a 24v solar/battery set up the wrong move? Thanks!

My wife said that we need to be able to run AC some of the time and since we are going to be off grid, I will need an inverter generator. For this I would need an ATS, but since its a 24v config, I would also have to install a 24v to 12v step down.

Why do you need a 24to12 converter?
How is the related to your ATS requirement?
How can I power the AC/charge off the inverter generator with this set up?
Get at an ul-458 rated inverter charger with integrated transfer switch and let it handle the tricky bits of the integration.
These are my goto recommend https://www.samlexamerica.com/products/Category.aspx?cid=M11

To make things worse, since its a travel trailer using a 7-pin connector, I need to disconnect the power from the 7-pin so it doesnt backfeed the alternator while still being able to use trailer brakes and lights.
Isolate the 7-pin connector, running lights, trailer breaks, breakaway system and lead acid battery. Then ignore them.

Any advice? Am I over complicating things? Is a 24v solar/battery set up the wrong move? Thanks!
Why are you going 24 volts?
How big is your inverter?
Have you done a power audit?
If no, have a look at my signature for a helpful link.

Heyeveryone,

New to the solar game. My wife and I just bought a Cougar 29FKD travel trailer and plan on traveling full time while working remote. Ive watched a ton of videos and read a lot, but I feel like I’m getting lost in everything and would love to get some advice. I originally was thinking of installing 400ah LiFePo4 batteries with 800-1000w solar in a 24v configuration. My wife said that we need to be able to run AC some of the time and since we are going to be off grid, I will need an inverter generator. For this I would need an ATS, but since its a 24v config, I would also have to install a 24v to 12v step down. How can I power the AC/charge off the inverter generator with this set up? To make things worse, since its a travel trailer using a 7-pin connector, I need to disconnect the power from the 7-pin so it doesnt backfeed the alternator while still being able to use trailer brakes and lights. Any advice? Am I over complicating things? Is a 24v solar/battery set up the wrong move? Thanks!

Stick with 12v. You're just making it more complicated with 24v.

Your wife is right. Use a generator to run the air conditioner. It takes a lot of solar and battery to run the air conditioning off-grid.

If you install a DC-AC inverter into your trailer and tie it into the trailer's existing A/C (alternating current, not air conditioner) system then you WILL need an Automatic Transfer Switch (ATS) if your new inverter doesn't have one already built-in. For example, the Victron Multiplus has this feature already and no ATS is needed.

I'm not aware of any "backfeed" issues unless you're using a tow vehicle that is quite a few years old. I can leave my trailer connected to my F-350 all night long and there is no DC power going back into the truck's battery.

you just use the 110 outlet on your inverter generator to power your charger. its that simple.

i like the 1700 watt champions, they can stack and if you parallel them they have a 30amp plug on thier parallel kit, makes it easy to run the whole trailer and not have to rewire anyting in the trailer. and you can use each one solo for my rig, little generators get used more than my onan 5500 that came with the rv, they are quieter and more fuel efficient.

Back