diy solar

diy solar

Need some suggestions

Texas-Mark

Solar Addict
New member here, but not new to solar power. let me give a brief description of what I have and what I need some suggestions on. This is a little long, so please bear with me.

I live in rural TX and had a DYI grid-tie system for about 15 years. This is made up of 15 100w panels. I also have a battery bank consisting of 5 deep cycle batteries and a 1500w pure sine wave inverter. Note: Everything is 12V. This was set up to power the grid-ties inverters all of the time, but if need be, I could switch the panels to charge the battery bank and use the sine wave inverter. Mainly I just wanted to offset running my pool pump 24/7. This worked well for about 14 years. At the time I set it up, the electric company knew I had it and did not care. Going the grid-tie route was ideal because i was able to utilize all the power generated. it required zero intervention.

Then about a couple of years ago, the electric company got involved with selling their own solar power systems. Well, at least sub-contracting it. All would have probably been fine, but one day due to a fluke of perfect conditions, I produced more than I was using. Due to the smart meters, the electric company saw it and called me and said I now had to have everything approved by them. I looked over all of the paperwork and requirements and decided it was not worth the hassle or cost to rebuild what was working fine for 14 years. So I ditched the grid-tie portion.

So now, I run the pool pump off of the sine wave inverter and use the panels to keep the batteries charged up. This causes some issues. As I had it originally, the pool pump would switch to the inverter at about 3:00am. This of course discharges the batteries. Then when the sun comes up, the batteries start to recharge and the panels also will power the pump. The pool pump switches back to grid power at 1:00pm. This gives the panels enough time to finish topping off the batteries and I am ready for the next day. There is still some wasted power generation toward the end of the afternoon, but that is because the batteries are nearly charged and the charge tapers off.

Now the problem is that my scenario above relies on cloudless days every day. Of course that never happens so I had to adjust my timing of things. I have the pool pump switch to the inverter at 7:30am. This way the batteries are not discharged too much and if it is cloudy, they may not fully charge by the end of the day. Now, if there are a lot of consecutive cloudy days, the inverter will shut down when the batteries get too depleted (and the pump auto switches back to the grid). Note: I do not rely on the inverter's low voltage shutoff, but instead have my own device that I have set for 70% discharge (to prolong battery life).

Anyway, my issue which should be obvious is I am wasting a lot of potential energy when the sun is out every day. Anyone else have a similar situation? Any suggestions to utilize more of the power when it is available? I have my system fully automated and would like to keep it that way. I don't want to have to go flipping switches or whatever every time it gets cloudy. Should I just let the pump run longer so the panels will always be charging them even if it could potentially bee a week or more before they get fully charged?

Anyway, my issue which should be obvious is I am wasting a lot of potential energy when the sun is out every day. Anyone else have a similar situation? Any suggestions to utilize more of the power when it is available? I have my system fully automated and would like to keep it that way. I don't want to have to go flipping switches or whatever every time it gets cloudy. Should I just let the pump run longer so the panels will always be charging them even if it could potentially bee a week or more before they get fully charged?

Heat hot water with the excess?

the issue I have is how to divert any excess, when I don't know even know when I will have any.
You gave a fairly lengthy description of your system but I don't have a good feel for it.....particularly the automation. Consequently I did not try to get into a discussion on how to divert the excess energy. Depending on the system and what signalling you have available, there are various options on how to do it. You may want to read through this recent thread on the subject:

You gave a fairly lengthy description of your system but I don't have a good feel for it.....particularly the automation

I have the panels feeding a Xantrex C60 charge controller. Yes, I know I have more panels than it was designed for, but I had it when I had the grid-tie stuff, and it was just as a backup to charge the battery bank if I ever needed to. I have the sine wave inverter's power switch connected to a timer that turn it on and off at set times. The output of the inverter powers the pool pump via an automatic transfer switch. So when the inverter is on, the transfer switch switches and the pump runs off the battery bank/solar. When the inverter turns off, either from the timer or "low battery", the transfer switch switches the pump back to the grid.

Note: The C60 has been a good charge controller for me. I have thought about getting a different one (perhaps MTTP) but I don't want to spend much and seems like all of the cheap ones are garbage.

<edit> Thanks for the link. I have not read all of it yet, but they had the same dilemma I have.

You just need an overvoltage switch and an timer: you switch over the pool pump to the inverter when the battery voltage was at 14.4V or above for 3 hours.

Hmm..... Let me think this one through for a bit. When does the pump switch back to the grid?

Regarding that link above, it seems like a diversion controller is mainly for dumping into a resistive load, usually to generate heat. Heat is the last thing I need here in Texas. LOL

I believe the c60 has a Dump Load Controller mode that will feed excess power to a dump load. How do you have the C60 configured?

Yes it can, but to be honest, I don't really understand how that mode works (in relation to my setup). It is currently just in the standard charge control mode. But as I noted above, I don't need to power a restive load.

I guess what I am trying to do is only power the pool pump (as much as possible) but use the solar as much as possible to charge the batteries back up.

I suppose I could run the pump off of the inverter during the night until I reach my low voltage cutoff and then just let the panels charge them back up during the day. I have not tried that yet to see how long it takes to charge from a 70% discharge. Main downside is more "deeper" discharging of the batteries than I am used to.

I need to think about rin67630's suggestion a bit more when my head is clearer. It is a method I had not considered.

You just need an overvoltage switch and an timer: you switch over the pool pump to the inverter when the battery voltage was at 14.4V or above for 3 hours.

I thought about this for a bit, and unless I am missing something, I am not sure it will help.

Assume the batteries are fully charged and the inverter turns on as you suggest. If it is daytime, I will still be capable of producing more power than the pump is using. The pump draws about 30 amps from the battery when running. In full sun, I am easily able to max out the C60. Additionally, the batteries would still be nearly charged, and even with 30 amps going to the pump, I doubt the C60 would be pumping the other 30 amps into the batteries.

Hmm..... Let me think this one through for a bit. When does the pump switch back to the grid?

I thought about this for a bit, and unless I am missing something, I am not sure it will help.

Assume the batteries are fully charged and the inverter turns on as you suggest. If it is daytime, I will still be capable of producing more power than the pump is using. The pump draws about 30 amps from the battery when running. In full sun, I am easily able to max out the C60. Additionally, the batteries would still be nearly charged, and even with 30 amps going to the pump, I doubt the C60 would be pumping the other 30 amps into the batteries.
Then you must figure out what additional load you may put on the battery to use the power.
You told us you have a 1500W inverter... that barely will draw 30Amp from a 14V battery,?

New member here, but not new to solar power. let me give a brief description of what I have and what I need some suggestions on. This is a little long, so please bear with me.

I live in rural TX and had a DYI grid-tie system for about 15 years. This is made up of 15 100w panels. I also have a battery bank consisting of 5 deep cycle batteries and a 1500w pure sine wave inverter. Note: Everything is 12V. This was set up to power the grid-ties inverters all of the time, but if need be, I could switch the panels to charge the battery bank and use the sine wave inverter. Mainly I just wanted to offset running my pool pump 24/7. This worked well for about 14 years. At the time I set it up, the electric company knew I had it and did not care. Going the grid-tie route was ideal because i was able to utilize all the power generated. it required zero intervention.

Then about a couple of years ago, the electric company got involved with selling their own solar power systems. Well, at least sub-contracting it. All would have probably been fine, but one day due to a fluke of perfect conditions, I produced more than I was using. Due to the smart meters, the electric company saw it and called me and said I now had to have everything approved by them. I looked over all of the paperwork and requirements and decided it was not worth the hassle or cost to rebuild what was working fine for 14 years. So I ditched the grid-tie portion.

So now, I run the pool pump off of the sine wave inverter and use the panels to keep the batteries charged up. This causes some issues. As I had it originally, the pool pump would switch to the inverter at about 3:00am. This of course discharges the batteries. Then when the sun comes up, the batteries start to recharge and the panels also will power the pump. The pool pump switches back to grid power at 1:00pm. This gives the panels enough time to finish topping off the batteries and I am ready for the next day. There is still some wasted power generation toward the end of the afternoon, but that is because the batteries are nearly charged and the charge tapers off.

Now the problem is that my scenario above relies on cloudless days every day. Of course that never happens so I had to adjust my timing of things. I have the pool pump switch to the inverter at 7:30am. This way the batteries are not discharged too much and if it is cloudy, they may not fully charge by the end of the day. Now, if there are a lot of consecutive cloudy days, the inverter will shut down when the batteries get too depleted (and the pump auto switches back to the grid). Note: I do not rely on the inverter's low voltage shutoff, but instead have my own device that I have set for 70% discharge (to prolong battery life).

Seems to me if it was already in place for 15 years, that they shouldnt be able to strong arm you to take it down. You should be grand-fathered in. sounds too late now, but who knows if if wouldve been worth fighting.

Then you must figure out what additional load you may put on the battery to use the power.

I guess the biggest issue is finding a way to utilize as much of the sun as possible without excessively draining/cycling the batteries. Sure, I can put a bigger load on the batteries (I have more inverters), but then I may end up running the batteries partly discharged for excessive periods of time when the weather is not cooperating. And I would prefer not to have to manually be switching loads.

Seems to me if it was already in place for 15 years, that they shouldnt be able to strong arm you to take it down.

Well, they knew about it but really did not care until they started providing their own systems. I think the installation of the smart meters was part of the deal, and I guess they don't want anyone feeding back onto the grid that did not go through them, or go through all of the red tape. I could have gotten mine approved, but it just was not worth the cost. My system is not that large and was mostly just a hobby rather than having any dependence on it. With all of the things I have added on or changed over the years, I still don't think I have reached the break even point.

You told us you have a 1500W inverter... that barely will draw 30Amp from a 14V battery,?
Not sure what the question is. The pool pump only draws 30 amps (off the battery bank). I can run it with a smaller 300W inverter I have, but it is close to it's limit and sometimes will groan when the pump starts.

Look into hybrid inverters with zero-export feature. Current transformers around utility connection so they backfeed your house, but throttle production as needed to avoid backfeeding the grid.
They should draw from grid as needed to keep things going with less sun. Depending on settings/features, might keep batteries full until there is a power failure, or cycle batteries to less likely to reduce PV production when house presents light load.

Look into hybrid inverters with zero-export feature.
Interesting solution. However, the cost of the equipment would probably not be cost effective at this point.

I have been playing around with adjusting the start and stop times for running the pump off of solar. I may have to just live with a compromise between loss of solar potential and not excessively draining/cycling the batteries.

The utilities really need to stop being so restrictive. Modern grid-tie inverters make it impossible to back-feed into the grid during an outage. The real risk comes from those who use a generator without a proper transfer switch.

The power company is shaking you down. Complexity, licensing, permits- yes I know they have good points- are merely ways of providing barriers to certain groups, or insuring advantages to others. It’s easier to disguise money-grabs when you’re doing something “to improve public safety”

Back