diy solar

diy solar

Need to Confirm Settings: Testing a Daly 'clone' BMS - Smart 24v 100ah

TedH

I am getting aquainted with the Daly BMS app using a Daly clone BMS that I bought in 2021.

I've since taken my 24v, 200ah bank apart in preparation for my 6P8S bank.

Before I try to tune the 500amp Daly BMS on the full bank, I wanted to familiarize and tune a smaller BMS on 8, 3.2v cells.

Two of the settings on the 'Cell characteristics' menu are a challenge: Balanced Open Start Volt and Balanced Open Diff Volt. From what I have read, I gather that for my Lifepo4 cells, I should select 3.2v and .02-.03v respectively.

For those with Daly or with more Lifepo4 experience, what are the recommended settings? A few other settings I am using currently (by menu):

Protection parameters:
Cell volt high protect 3.6v
Cell volt low protect 2.8v
Sum volt high protect 28.8v (3.6*8)
Sum volt low protect 22.4 (2.8*8)
Diff volt protection .02V
Chg overcurrent protect 50A (max continuous charge voltage recommended by CALB for the cells)
Dischg overcurrent protect 100A (max continuous discharge voltage recommended by CALB for the cells)

Cell characteristics:
Type of battery LFP/LifePO4
Rated Capacity 100AH
Cell reference volt 3.2V
Sleep waiting time 3600s
SOC set 100%
Balanced open start volt 3.2v
Balanced open diff volt .03v

Temp protection (advice welcome):
Chg high temp protect 65C
Chg low temp protect 2C
disChg high temp protect 70C
DisChg low temp protect 2C
diff Temp Protect 15C
MOS temp protect 47C

Current voltage of the eight cells (voltages are gradually dropping - I assume due to the BMS power draw and Dischg MOS ON):
1: 3.538v
2: 3.542v
3: 3.565v HIGH
4: 3.536v LOW
5: 3.539v
6: 3.540v
7: 3.540v
8: 3.538v

Currently:
ChgMOS is OFF
DischgMOS is ON
Balance is OFF

I have a benchtop DC power supply connected to the pack/bms and it is set at 28.8V.

I verified the voltages on all 8 cells using a multimeter so the readings are "in the ballpark". I say that since my multimeter is reading about .004-.005 HIGHER on every cell. That may be the quality of my multimeter ($89). I may try measuring using my $300 Fluke meter.

Last edited:
Us noob questions. Guess there is too many options on setup of this Daly device. I have a similar target setup in that

2P8S

Mine are 3.2v @200aH of 8 of these

Then 3.2v @304aH of 8 of these

I will run a Daly BMS on both series sets. One BMS is a 200A and the other is a 250A

I was not sure about the need for Amp rating of BMS to the Amp of battery. I could not find a Daly 300A however, so I got the 250A at a really good price point and figured I will learn as I go if it works or not. Now I read it will work.

I dont have the battery banks built yet, so I dont have settings to share. Just got my Sig Solar MPPT 12kw on the wall today. Battery build tomorrow.

I am getting aquainted with the Daly BMS app using a Daly clone BMS that I bought in 2021.

I've since taken my 24v, 200ah bank apart in preparation for my 6P8S bank.

Before I try to tune the 500amp Daly BMS on the full bank, I wanted to familiarize and tune a smaller BMS on 8, 3.2v cells.

Two of the settings on the 'Cell characteristics' menu are a challenge: Balanced Open Start Volt and Balanced Open Diff Volt. From what I have read, I gather that for my Lifepo4 cells, I should select 3.2v and .02-.03v respectively.

For those with Daly or with more Lifepo4 experience, what are the recommended settings? A few other settings I am using currently (by menu):

Protection parameters:
Cell volt high protect 3.6v
Cell volt low protect 2.8v
Sum volt high protect 28.8v (3.6*8)
Sum volt low protect 22.4 (2.8*8)
Diff volt protection .02V
Chg overcurrent protect 50A (max continuous charge voltage recommended by CALB for the cells)
Dischg overcurrent protect 100A (max continuous discharge voltage recommended by CALB for the cells)

Cell characteristics:
Type of battery LFP/LifePO4
Rated Capacity 100AH
Cell reference volt 3.2V
Sleep waiting time 3600s
SOC set 100%
Balanced open start volt 3.2v
Balanced open diff volt .03v

Temp protection (advice welcome):
Chg high temp protect 65C
Chg low temp protect 2C
disChg high temp protect 70C
DisChg low temp protect 2C
diff Temp Protect 15C
MOS temp protect 47C

Hi buddy,
I am using the 200ah Daly BMS on a 1P8S and I am using pretty much the same settings as you do :)
Balancing works great so far after 2 weeks in operation (did top balance cells first). Even if they are pretty balanced for now, I am still considering adding a ~2A active balancer as well.

Like Reply

Back