diy solar

diy solar

Need your advice on best dual fuel generator for 12K Sol-Ark

I have a Champion dual fuel. It's my experience that the Champion brand inverter generators have very little harmonic distortion. You'll probably need a much larger generator than I have, but Champion is definitely worth looking into. Plus, you can get warranty and parts at Tractor Supply.
Still looking. Which champion do you have? Thank you!

Do you need so many kW from a generator? Or only because SolArk requires that?
With inverter/battery plus generator, you should be able to use a smaller generator running more hours, so long as you keep the inverter from making demands on its AC output.

What if you used a battery charger, powered by the generator? SolArk makes AC from battery, and can auto-start the generator. But since no AC ever appears on its input, it just keeps using battery while generator + battery charger recharges battery. Ideally, communication of charge current occurs, eg. either BMS see the current and keeps count, or a shunt is used by SolArk.

What I would like to do is use an AC coupled inverter to feed in generator power, e.g. rectify generator output and feed to the DC inputs of a PV/wind/hydro inverter. That should work, but needs some issues considered and addressed.

With inverter/battery plus generator, you should be able to use a smaller generator running more hours, so long as you keep the inverter from making demands on its AC output.

What if you used a battery charger, powered by the generator? SolArk makes AC from battery, and can auto-start the generator. But since no AC ever appears on its input, it just keeps using battery while generator + battery charger recharges battery. Ideally, communication of charge current occurs, eg. either BMS see the current and keeps count, or a shunt is used by SolArk.

What I would like to do is use an AC coupled inverter to feed in generator power, e.g. rectify generator output and feed to the DC inputs of a PV/wind/hydro inverter. That should work, but needs some issues considered and addressed.
For me at least I would like to use the Sol-Ark as grid tied with battery backup and have the generator tied to the GEN input of the Sol-Ark such that the Sol-Ark can auto-magically control the generator when needed (hopefully infrequently just to recharge the batteries &/or do regular tests of the generator). With that in mind the generator would need to support wired start/stop and meet Sol-Ark's recommended 240V specs: Minimum 4KW with maximum 15%THD (recommended 5-10KW with =< 5% THD);

Main thing is we are off grid, sol ark needs 240 and i'd like to use propane if possible to avoid gas issues. thanks!!

....What if you used a battery charger, powered by the generator?
I don't have an all-in-one unit, but that's exactly what I do. My 2200w generator runs at about a 40% load, while charging my batteries, which is its most efficient point. Everything stays plugged into my inverter until the batteries get low, then I fire up the generator for a couple hours to charge them back up through a separate battery charger.

Main thing is we are off grid, sol ark needs 240 and i'd like to use propane if possible to avoid gas issues. thanks!!
I know it's easy to just say this, but since I'm the Imelda Marcos of generators, I'll always recommend a Honda. In the long run, they are WAY cheaper. If you are really off grid, you need reliability and repairability. I have an older open frame 240 volt Honda that I converted to propane, it just runs and runs. I now have a eu7000is and it is the same, but just MUCH quieter and fuel efficient. This is going to be feeding my new Sol Ark 12K ......

If you're looking for low THD dual fuel generators, the Duromax XP9000iH and the Westinghouse 12000DF are very good options. Note that the Westinghouse 12000DF is the only non-inverter dual fuel model from Westinghouse with a THD of <5%.

I know it's easy to just say this, but since I'm the Imelda Marcos of generators, I'll always recommend a Honda. In the long run, they are WAY cheaper. If you are really off grid, you need reliability and repairability. I have an older open frame 240 volt Honda that I converted to propane, it just runs and runs. I now have a eu7000is and it is the same, but just MUCH quieter and fuel efficient. This is going to be feeding my new Sol Ark 12K ......
Thanks for that information! I will check into the 7000 today. J

If you're looking for low THD dual fuel generators, the Duromax XP9000iH and the Westinghouse 12000DF are very good options. Note that the Westinghouse 12000DF is the only non-inverter dual fuel model from Westinghouse with a THD of <5%.
Thank you! I'll check it out. Am still looking for the ideal one...

Hello from Idaho! My generator has too much hertz distortion. I'd like to find a dual fuel generator for under $1,000.
Also has to have a 240 outlet.

Many thanks, Jerome
Costco has a tri-fuel 240/120 volt 7500 watts on gas 6700 on propane and a little less for NG.
and its on sale for 899.00.

that is a great price! i'll check on that. do you know if it has a low THD?
trying to find it now... would you kindly send a link? thanks! J

I did call Firman on that generator... it has THD too high and doe not have 240 volt for the Sol Ark. Thanks for your post! I'll have to keep looking. J

Last edited:
I believe it is 999.00 on costco .com and 899.00 in store (warehouse) I saw that price just this week when I was looking for the smaller duel fuel 3300 watt gen which I bought. don't know about THD. the model # is MODEL: T07571

I did call Firman on that generator... it has THD too high and doe not have 240 volt for the Sol Ark. Thanks for your post! I'll have to keep looking. J
I just bought the costco Firman trifuel so I can use NG, and firman's website states THD 11-14% (https://firmanpowerequipment.com/products/t07571) , which is below Sol-Ark 12k's maximum recommendation.

Now I need to find 100ft of 14-50R cable (6 gauge), which looks pricey on Amazon. Maybe I should stay with L14-30R since this will be for topping off emergency backup battery bank at night?

Last edited:
Hello from Idaho! My generator has too much hertz distortion. I'd like to find a dual fuel generator for under $1,000.
Also has to have a 240 outlet.

Many thanks, Jerome
I found a Winco 25kw PTO generator on Facebook Market place.
I have seen some duel Fuel on there also.
Might be worth a look.

Does the Champion Model 100199 8.5 kW generator support remote start/stop operation? The installation manual does not explicitly describe whether it does or does not.

I need the generator to remotely start/stop under control of an off-grid inverter's AGS (automatic generator start) function. This allows the inverter to start the genset when battery bank SOC (state of charge) falls to a preset SOC% and shut the genset down when the battery bank returns to its desired SOC%.

This off-grid application does not require an ATS (automatic transfer switch) function in the generator.

The MANUAL mode description on page 37of the installation manual states:
MANUAL POSITION – This position allows manual starting of the engine. Load transfer from the HSB output does NOT occur unless the utility power voltage is lost. NOTE: You cannot perform a load test of the generator in the manual position.

Could the Champion Model 100199 be operated in the MANUAL mode without the Champion ATS connected? Are there 2-wire start leads in/on the Engine Controller Module to which the inverter can be connected?

I read through the manual and it looks like it requires the ATS unless you want to fiddle with some relays. If you can find a good wiring diagram, I could not. I have a seimons it’s a rebranded genarack.
They sell one with a 2 wire start. It has less warranty than the same unit sent up for ATS starting. I got the one set up for the ATS and added the 2 missing wires to the molex plug. I purchased them from a generator store on line. This works on the second generation controller.
Something like this, their were a couple of settings that need to be changed. So you need service login also.

Does the Champion Model 100199 8.5 kW generator support remote start/stop operation? The installation manual does not explicitly describe whether it does or does not.

I need the generator to remotely start/stop under control of an off-grid inverter's AGS (automatic generator start) function. This allows the inverter to start the genset when battery bank SOC (state of charge) falls to a preset SOC% and shut the genset down when the battery bank returns to its desired SOC%.

This off-grid application does not require an ATS (automatic transfer switch) function in the generator.

The MANUAL mode description on page 37of the installation manual states:
MANUAL POSITION – This position allows manual starting of the engine. Load transfer from the HSB output does NOT occur unless the utility power voltage is lost. NOTE: You cannot perform a load test of the generator in the manual position.

Could the Champion Model 100199 be operated in the MANUAL mode without the Champion ATS connected? Are there 2-wire start leads in/on the Engine Controller Module to which the inverter can be connected?
One the youtube video I linked previously in this thread about the Champion I asked in the comments and got this response:

Question posed: "Scott, Have you successfully tied this 8.5KW to the Gen input of any of your Sol-Ark 12K installs? Have you been able to get the Sol-Ark 12K to successfully auto 2wire start the Champion 8.5 and does the Sol-Ark 12K reliably accept the Champion 8.5K's output?"

Engineer775 replied there: "Yes they were great together"

Back