diy solar

diy solar

Need your advice on best dual fuel generator for 12K Sol-Ark

Hello from Idaho! My generator has too much hertz distortion. I'd like to find a dual fuel generator for under $1,000.
Also has to have a 240 outlet.

Many thanks, Jerome
You can adjust the input of the Sol-ark to accept a pretty wide range of voltages and Frequencies.

I have used some pretty pedestrian generators to charge my batteries through the Sol-ark.

One the youtube video I linked previously in this thread about the Champion I asked in the comments and got this response:

Question posed: "Scott, Have you successfully tied this 8.5KW to the Gen input of any of your Sol-Ark 12K installs? Have you been able to get the Sol-Ark 12K to successfully auto 2wire start the Champion 8.5 and does the Sol-Ark 12K reliably accept the Champion 8.5K's output?"

Engineer775 replied there: "Yes they were great together"
nodoze:
Could not find the YouTube link to which you refer. The Installation Manual, pages 39 and 40, gives pin outs for the Engine Controller module and the ATS Control Module. Do you know the pin(s) to which the 2-wire start control wires will be connected?

nodoze:
Could not find the YouTube link to which you refer. The Installation Manual, pages 39 and 40, gives pin outs for the Engine Controller module and the ATS Control Module. Do you know the pin(s) to which the 2-wire start control wires will be connected?
Itcharus, Sorry. It was post # 22 which for me has the following link for the post:

The link in that post takes you to this youtube video:

Can I ask you guys who use a generator with your sol ark what all settings it requires to get running?

I tried using my champion dual fuel 9000w on the sol ark 12k yesterday and nothing happened. It never started charging the battery. I measured the voltage and it was 244v on the input to the gen input on the solark. I didnt mess with the voltage or frequency settings. It was late and I figured I better do research so nothing goes boom.

For the original poster, I bought the dual fuel 9000 champion at costco for 700$ a few years ago. Its a nice generator for the price. Ive got it tied to a 250gal propane tank.

Can I ask you guys who use a generator with your sol ark what all settings it requires to get running?

I tried using my champion dual fuel 9000w on the sol ark 12k yesterday and nothing happened. It never started charging the battery. I measured the voltage and it was 244v on the input to the gen input on the solark. I didnt mess with the voltage or frequency settings. It was late and I figured I better do research so nothing goes boom.

For the original poster, I bought the dual fuel 9000 champion at costco for 700$ a few years ago. Its a nice generator for the price. Ive got it tied to a 250gal propane tank.
I would check the manuals and the Sol-Ark website. In addition there was some discussion in this thread:

The manual doesnt seem to have much infomation at all. I always refer to it but it doesnt go into much depth on the available settings.

That link has some good info, I will play with it again and see if it will work. Unfortunately I dont have time to play with it until kids are in bed and then cranking up the loud generator in the dark probably has my neighbors wondering what Im doing. But whatever, they will get it one day when my power is on and theirs is not.

Last edited:

By any chance did you check to see what are the requirements for the sol ark ac inputs in terms of THD (total harmonic distortion). The generator you have and most non inverter portable generators have a THD that's quite high. Anthing under 6% THD is considered clean power. Most non inverter portable generators have a THD between 10 and 25%. Champion generators are typically between 12 to 20% THD. Only their home standby and inverter generators produce that really clean power. Their home standby is 5% and their inverter generators are 3% THD. Hope this helps.

Earlier posts in this thread say under 15% THD is the sol ark requirment. The sol ark sales people have videos saying their inverter works with lousy generators waveforms. I think I just need to wait longer and change a couple settings and it should work. Will try it again today. Doubtful I will ever need a generator, but since it has the gen input I figured may as well set in up just in case.

Earlier posts in this thread say 15% THD is the sol ark requirment.
ok. The champion ranges between 12 and 20%. would be great if a test could be done with an inverter generator to see if it's an issue relating to power quality/THD.

Frequency would be another key parameter to check. Generator might run a bit high no-load.

Hello from Idaho! My generator has too much hertz distortion. I'd like to find a dual fuel generator for under $1,000.

Many thanks, Jerome
I have a new Champion 3500 inverter gen set, it has 30 amp outs and 2x 20 amp with electric start..I recently lived 3 weeks off it in my 35 ft rv with no problems using gasoline. it’s very quiet , has eco mode , a floating electrical system , unbonded neutral and runs 6 to 9 hours off a tank.I also bought another inverter gen set this year .It is less powerful but uses less gas and will put out 15 solid continuous amps all day..( surge 18 amps) it’s the Honda 2200. champion Is dual fuel . Honda is not but I’m Gona get the kit that allows propane to be used.
both the Honda and the champion are around a grand.. ( or was) ..I love em both. Two different units for two different needs ….the champion will be used to augment my Victron inverter as back up for batt charging…
I think I have seen the 240v feature starting around the 4500 watt versions but the quite inverter type ( sine wave) are more scarce and a lot more money at that power.
thats all I can share on this at this point… except stay away from low end units…they will bite ya..
J

Many thanks, Jerome
If you are looking for an inverter dual fuel, it's going to be hard to find one with 240v under 1000. Take a look at the genmax 6000 dual fuel on amazon. its a bit over 1000. if you dont want an inverter generator, then take a look at the pulsar dual fuel generators.

I just ordered this one. It'll be here on the 22nd. @Henderson is right. They ain't cheap but <5%THD.
My Generac 10kw LP was $3200 last year. Works great with two SA 12k's. Nice enclosure. Very quiet on far side of power shed 100' from house. Two pins needed from Digi-Key for two-wire start.

My Generac 10kw LP was $3200 last year. Works great with two SA 12k's. Nice enclosure. Very quiet on far side of power shed 100' from house. Two pins needed from Digi-Key for two-wire start.
That's a stationary Generac you have? I would have opted for one of those but the soonest "estimated" delivery date was way out in November and I'm anticipating outages this summer so 6 months is too long to wait. Also I prefer the portability.

I just ordered this one. It'll be here on the 22nd. @Henderson is right. They ain't cheap but <5%THD.
This is a very good generator and good wattage as well. From what I've seen, Duromax's customer service seems quite good also.

Back