diy solar

diy solar

NEEDED: AC Single Phase digital Energy Meter (amps/watts/volts/frequency)

Steve_S

Offgrid Cabineer, N.E. Ontario, Canada
Good Day everyone.

I am just completing my powerhouse final build and Dog Gone-it... realized I missed an item.
I need to get some form of Energy Meter with display for the AC Sub-Panels.
As the title states, I need amps/watts/volts/frequency to be displayed.
I do NOT want to cut a sub-panel box, so it needs to be an independent unit on a wire.
I would prefer using a Clamped Sensor as opposed to shunts or such.
I do not need Split Phase support, as I only run 120V/60Hz Single phase.

Here is one example of several I found BUT I am unsure if it is any good.
If anyone has used these or others which work and do similar, I would appreciate your input a lot.
he Example I found.

BTW: NINGBO PEACEFAIR ELECTRONIC TECHNOLOGY CO., LTD. seems to have a HUGE Selection of Meter's & Guages and I do know that some of their products are very well-reviewed. NOTE all the different models (AC, DC) with different communications from wireless yo RS485/TTL/ CanBus and more...
Link for Reference: https://peacefair.en.made-in-china.com/

Thanks for the input.
Steve

...I need to get some form of Energy Meter...
I'm thinking I need the same thing since I recently turned up a reporting discrepancy ... will have have to watch this thread!

Are you sure you don't mean split phase?

In the U.S. (possibly Canada?) most house-holds are 120V/60 Hz split phase (that is a 240V center-tapped transformer that makes two 120V lines so you can get 120V or 240V).

In the EU, UK, NZ, Aus, and other places they really are single phase but mostly around 210-230V/50 Hz.

Good Day everyone.

I am just completing my powerhouse final build and Dog Gone-it... realized I missed an item.
I need to get some form of Energy Meter with display for the AC Sub-Panels.
As the title states, I need amps/watts/volts/frequency to be displayed.
I do NOT want to cut a sub-panel box, so it needs to be an independent unit on a wire.
I would prefer using a Clamped Sensor as opposed to shunts or such.

Here is one example of several I found BUT I am unsure if it is any good.
If anyone has used these or others which work and do similar, I would appreciate your input a lot.
he Example I found.

BTW: NINGBO PEACEFAIR ELECTRONIC TECHNOLOGY CO., LTD. seems to have a HUGE Selection of Meter's & Guages and I do know that some of their products are very well-reviewed. NOTE all the different models (AC, DC) with different communications from wireless yo RS485/TTL/ CanBus and more...
Link for Reference: https://peacefair.en.made-in-china.com/

Thanks for the input.
Steve
That will work. You can power it from 120v or 240v. Either way the amps will be right, but the power will be right only if you power it from the same line voltage that you are measuring. Note semi-outdoor rated butter tub enclosure. Mine is fairly well sheltered, so only needs to be weather resistant. The KWH will max out at 999, so you will need to reset it if you want to track KWH.

power meter.jpg

In reference to my post (#3), I removed my subpanel cover and thread the induction coil wires to the outside of the box. I made a little enclousre for the meter and ran to power lines to the nearest AC source (240v because I am generating 240v) to power the meter. So the meter enclosure has 2 wires exiting for power and 2 wires exiting that are for the clamp on induction pickup.

Anyone use the < $50 Neurio? The "AI" figuring out how much power appliances use might be interesting if you can get it to work.

Update: My mistake... the Neurio is $250... the link is a 3 phase expansion unit. Phooey! Would like it to be on WiFi.... suppose I could do a CT and something like a wifi Uno to read it/transmit it.

Last edited:
Ok, good input, thanks !

No, I do not need split phase 240. I have no 240V here, I run with 120V only, so single phase 120V/100A capacity is bang on.
I'll just run the sensor wires through the side via one of the knock outs (grommeted) and put meter into a box or something.
This is to monitor my Generator Input Side and I want it separate for my own verification.

I found several of the Peacefair models on Amazon & Ebay with fast delivery and not terribly marked up. So I'll have to browse through them to find one which does not keep cumulative counts or can be reset.

The Peacefair wireless DC Monitors caught my eye as well as the others with communications.

Back