diy solar

diy solar

Net Metering under attack, again....

By the time solar thermal plants came on line, PV was cheaper. Solar thermal is now promoted based on its ability to produce power during the new peak times after the sun goes down.
I have read reports that the one solar thermal plant near the California Nevada border has had reliability issues. Also i have seen some Power Purchase Agreements for battery backed solar in the $50 per mega Watt range ($0.05 per kWhr)

Did your calculation include installing 4 W (peak) of PV to produce 24 Wh/day of power, compared to installing 1W (peak) of coal plant to produce 24 Wh/day?
It's all reduced to $/W at a high level, so yes. But, keep in mind it's a simple high-level analysis and the devil's in the details. Need to find an actual solar plant (perhaps the one @Ampster mentions) with energy storage to get some real-life costs.

There may never be enough batteries to supply the U.S. grid overnight, given quantities of elements such as lithium or lead required.
That's a good point, googling it seems like there is -- but will there be as power consumption goes up? Same concern for Vanadium flow batteries. There are new technologies (e.g., glass batteries) increasing the power density so it'll take less resources in the future. Perhaps someone will find a way to make gravity batteries practical or a break though for high power density supercapacitors (they just made a 10x jump, but still not quite there yet).

Other energy storage can include pumped hydro.
Very true. Hydropower isn't available everywhere, but some countries (e.g., Norway, New Zealand) are really big on hydro. From a quick google a Wisconsin plant has $0.85/kWh, which I believe is opex, so that's noise compared to capex. This site lists $1.50-$2.50 Wh, so for solar with 3 days storage that's $6.50/W to $9.50/W. Of course, at the end of 10 years the dam will still be there.

...I think fossil fuel plants can can fill in during a transition period...
I believe that transition period has just started; it's just not recognized as such yet ... but it seems inevitable. As the cost of energy storage devices fall utilities will deploy more of them... see How will Batteries change the world? According to this ref, with as little as 5% power supplemented from fossil fuels; solar and wind are economical when energy storage hits $150/kW (which it has now and is expected to go to $100 by 2023).

June 15 was the deadline for comments....now we just have to wait to see what FERC does.

Skimmed a number of comments (e.g., FERC GENERAL Search, in the text search enter EL20-42), universally it seems those that posted comments generally said "hell no". Didn't see any in favor or suggesting enacting it would do what NERA suggested (help the poor). Quite a few names you'd recognize were opposed (e.g., Tesla, NAACP, Commonwealth of Virginia, Florida Public Service Commission).

Last edited:
Local governments get a lot of tax revenue from utilities so they support what utility companies want.

Utilities want net metering because it reduces their labor costs. They don't want residential solar and do all they can to discourage it because they lose control. Grid-tie solar becomes a problem when it gets prolific enough to overpower the grid control which is absolutely necessary to have interconnected grid distribution management. This has already happened in some communities in CA. They are lobbying in some locations to have the ability to remotely disable residential solar grid tie feeds like they presently do, for opposite reason, with residential hot water heaters and air conditioners.

Elon wants to sell to utilities for power generation load leveling making power generation capital investment more productive. Residential sales are too much work, support overhead, and liability. Utilities power generation averages 40% to 60% of their full capacity capability which is a lot of under-utilized capital investment..

Utilities have been racing head-long into presently cheap natural gas fuel. If or when this reverses there will be big issues for power companies. This will be the opportunity for alternate renewable energy business.

In the meantime, I would not bet net metering will be done away with anytime soon.

ref

FERC filings on NERA's petition
OpposeSupport
State Public Utility Commissions300
Associations of State Regulators and
Public Electricity Providers
Legal Experts/ Academics/ Advocacy Groups53919
Governors/ AGs/ State Officials540
Members of Congress350
Individuals48,6932
Total49,36021

Note that 19 out of 21 Supporters come from the Advocacy category. Another word for paid lobbyists.

Back